James, new album, 'All The Colours Of You', June 4th, 2021.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Mar 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've really enjoyed the last few albums from James so this is very welcome news for me.

Usually I like the album covers too but this one's pretty bad.

[​IMG]

1. ZERO
    2. All The Colours Of You
    3. Recover
    4. Beautiful Beaches
    5. Wherever It Takes Us
    6. Hush
    7. Miss America
    8. Getting Myself Into
    9. Magic Bus
    10. Isabella
    11. XYST

The album was produced by Jacknife Lee and the first single is the title track:

As with a lot of things these days, shipping to the U.S. from TM Stores has sky-rocketed ($28.00 to ship the 2 LP splatter vinyl). I think I'll wait to see what the indie exclusive vinyl looks like instead.

James Official Online Store : Merch, Music, Downloads & Clothing
    And here's the blurb about the record from Jim:

"Hi everybody and welcome to our 16th album, 'All The Colours Of You'.

Recorded in a strange, disparate reality, the album brought a unique set of challenges. It's definitely a different record for us. We have been pushed somewhere new and that's exciting.

I hope you'll enjoy the moods, grooves and uplift, admirably displayed on our first single and title track, which is out today.

There is always a stage in the making of an album when you start to picture playing the songs live. You imagine the volume and power of a live performance, the fear and adrenalin, and of course a crowd. That direct communication that makes gigs so special, emotive and exhilarating.

It has been so long. But we will get there.
    In the meantime, enjoy the record. Stick it on in the living room, the car, or wherever and turn it up.

Get to know the songs, make them old friends and get ready to sing them with verve and volume next time we can all get together.

Best Wishes, Jim from James."

2. Groovy

There's a U.K. indie vinyl version, disc one is half red / half black, disc two is half purple / half black - I went with that. It's already sold out at recordstore.uk but still available at Resident and Piccadilly Records.

Piccadilly deduct the V.A.T. so my total with shipping came to $49.00 ish, which is only slightly more than the official store is asking for the splatter vinyl before shipping costs.

James - All The Colours Of You / Virgin Music Label & Artist Services from Piccadilly Records

James - All The Colours Of You - Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Now, I do love a new James album but toooooo many formats. Double picture discs? No ta. Some of the bundles are decent value tho'.

That said, the merch includes a Rubik's Cube and I don't hate it.

4. Groovy

First "official single" (?) from the new album, 'Beautiful Beaches'.

My main feeling about the two new songs is that, while they're pretty good, they get more interesting just before they end.

5. Groovy

3rd song from the new album, 'Recover'.

ScottishStuart likes this.
  6. Groovy

And here's a performance video of it too.

Lyrics:

Cry
    For the ones we have lost we have loved
    Wash your hands
    There's a thief of our breath
    Stay inside, stay alive
    It will be alright
    Stay inside , stay alive
    It will be alright

Nature needs a break
    So we wait in our home our foxhole
    I'm out of a job
    Confronting my life
    The walls of my home

It'll be alright

It will be alright

Will he get better?
    A cold
    Will he get better?
    Just a chill, sore throat
    Will he recover?
    In a ward all alone
    Will he recover?
    He can't breathe
    without a machine to carry the load

It'll be alright

It will be alright

We will remember
    Your wicked sense of fun
    We will remember
    Now the circus has moved on
    We will remember
    Your last call was a song
    We will remember
    How to pass your spirit on

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    dee likes this.
  7. Groovy

Probably the final song released before the album next month.

Would someone let me know if this thread is duplicated somewhere else. I know James aren't the most popular band but it's weird how quiet it is.

dee likes this.
  8. Disco Robot

Disco Robot Forum Resident

Love James. One of the top 5 live bands I've ever seen. Don't think my CD of the new record will arrive for at least another week. I've been avoiding listening to the pre release singles since I like hearing the whole album fresh the first time though. Reviews have been very positive so far, really looking forward to it.

9. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I haven't had a dispatch notice for my bundle but I did get a code offering me £1 off a "deluxe" download. I sighed until I noted that they only wanted £4.99 for it so £3.99 seemed reasonable. Given it has some extra tracks (5 - 2 live and 3 demos, one of which is a non-album track), I decided that was worth it.

10. dee

dee Senior Member

lol ;) about the # of posts so far and your reaction!

Took awhile before the main chorus kicks in but enjoyed the listen. Meant as a compliment that I got an INXS, Echo, and U2 amalgamation from listening to it. So, that's all good in my small world.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  11. murphmanz

murphmanz Forum Resident

Enjoying the album a lot. Even after just a couple of listens, there are are few standout tracks. Beautiful Beaches and the previously mentioned Isabella are the immediate favourites for me

croquetlawns likes this.
  12. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Splatter vinyl not getting good reviews on Discogs. Can anyone comment on their vinyl pressings. I'd get the CD but I am a James LP completist and have a feeling the CD will be mastered way too loudly anyhow. Been enjoying on Spotify while I wait for my Amazon order to ship but thinking of canceling and buying a more readily available red/black LP version now.

13. Groovy

I eventually caved and got the splatter vinyl - no problems with either disc.

bmh5879 likes this.
  14. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Got the standard black. Well recorded, as usual. Side 1 riddled with non-fill , rest is fine. Shame as its a good sounding record. Will try to get a replacement....

bmh5879 likes this.
  15. Ricky Roma

Ricky Roma Forum Resident

My ears are bleeding :help:
    God I'd pay for a decent version of every James album since Laid. There's such great music on these albums that have been sabotaged by horrible loudness wars mastering

c-eling and bmh5879 like this.
  16. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

LP of CD? I stopped buying James on CD a while ago because they sound so horrible. The LP versions are usually a little better. The mastering has been so bad though that I hardly revisit after a couple of listens.

17. Ricky Roma

Ricky Roma Forum Resident

It was the CD version. I guess LP could be slightly better but isn't it pretty much the same mastering they use now anyway? Everything pushed to the max for earbud listeners :mad:

18. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Went to see them last night at Wembley. Were amazing, really exceeded my expectations. New LP tracks were great too - Zero - The crowd loved them, vet similar to when I saw them in 1990, the last time...

Krzych and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.