Jan Miner, 86; Palmolive Ad's MADGE dies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Sorry to hear that Jan Miner died. She played Madge for like 26 years in those Palmolive commercials. Thanks to Joel Cairo, I just watched a vintage Madge commercial from the 1960's yesterday....

She had a great gig and it allowed her to live comfortably and do theatre, etc., without having to worry about paying the bills.

RIP.

2. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

3. TimM

TimM Senior Member

"your soaking in it" has to be one of the most famous lines in TV history. It seams like that series of commercials went on even longer than 26 years. I don't ever remember TV when she wasn't on. :(

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Sounds like a classy lady... :(

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

R.I.P Sometimes the little things we remember mean a lot! Yup, I can immediately visualize her!

6. AudioGirl

AudioGirl Forum Resident

I always liked her. She really had a good gig to last so long!

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

They had a nice news piece on the local TV stations here a few nights ago. She lived here in Connecticut.

8. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Between her and Jesse White as the Maytag man, some of the longest running characters in commercials. RIP Jan......

9. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

The Mayag man who died last year was Gordon Jump, AKA Art Carlson from WKRP.

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Gordon Jump was a very funny, gentle guy. I met him on a couple of occasions over the years. His most famous line ("As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly") is from WKRP but I love a line he had on a Seinfeld ep: "I'll see you in hell, Costanza!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.