Jane's Addiction

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Criminy pete, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Criminy pete

Criminy pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any Jane's Addiction fans out there?

Vinyl Socks, Luisboa, DavidD and 5 others like this.
  2. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Yepper. :agree:

3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Nope. They have no fans.

4. Criminy pete

Liar, liar! Coming Down the Mountain, yeah!

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love Nothing's Shocking. Great album. My favorite is Had a Dad.

DavidD, MBT68, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  6. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

Yes...love Jane's Addiction!

DavidD and Criminy pete like this.
  7. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

Lovvvvvvve Jane, her addiction, and the band. A sorely underrated act, both for their own spectacular awesomeness and their influence. I love the joyous abandon that young Dave Navarro played with. Debuting with a live album has also always struck me as especially bad**s....and kind of hilarious that the crowd noise was dubbed in from a Los Lobos show.

8. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I love Jane's, always have. Seen them live many times, in large venues and small.
    However I will say the last time I saw them, a couple years ago here at the Warfield, Perry was pretty underwhelming.
    Maybe age has made it difficult for him to command the stage in the way he used to.
    His voice has also lost its powerful pull.

Fullbug and Criminy pete like this.
  9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'd like to recommend the album Burning Time by Last Crack to adventurous Jane's Addiction fans. Dave Jerden even mixed it. Imagine Nothing's Shocking by way of the U2 song "Bullet The Blue Sky."

10. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Yep!

DavidD likes this.
  11. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I'll have to check that out.

I'd like to recommend Deconstruction s/t, a briefly extant band with Dave Navarro & Eric A.
    Wish they'd done more.

12. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Big fan, always was and still am. I've seen them live many times. Summertime Rolls and I Would For You are my two favorite JA songs.

13. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Right here! Count me in! :wave:

Vinyl Addict and Criminy pete like this.
  14. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I'd like to recommend the band I Mother Earth's album Dig. If you like Jane's then you'll like that album. Trust me...

Brenald79 and Synthfreek like this.
  15. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

Yes. Still have my copy of Nothings Shocking in its original ribbed sleeve, play it often....Ocean Size my favourite from that album, but it's all good...

Fullbug and Criminy pete like this.
  16. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

17. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I love them-or at least the original lineup. Everything that I've heard out of them in the last few years has underwhelmed me. Their first 3 albums though, bring back a lot of memories for me. I'll listen to certain songs, and it will almost bring me to tears, because it reminds me of people and places that I hold close to my soul.

18. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

My favorite band of the alternative rock explosion. Its too bad they went the direction they did. 1987-1991 they were untouchable. The darkness, the different styles mixed together. Then they just got silly.j

"Three Days" is just perfection.

19. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

Great band.

Criminy pete likes this.
  20. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

I like 'em. :righton:

21. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Big fan, seen them many times dating back to '88 (starting with one of their Scream Club shows) with every single line-up including with Duff on bass. I've been pretty lucky in that I've seen several very key shows in the band's history....

[​IMG]

Not a big fan of their rather lazy cash-in on a whole 3 albums worth of classics attitude since Eric Avery came and went in '09 and the tremendously wasted opportunity that could have come from that reunion. And it goes without saying how Perry and his obnoxious wife are supremely annoying these days. But like it was mentioned a few posts above, the first 3 albums with the original lineup are untouchable and the shows from that time were amazing.

BTW, in regards to that excellent article in Rolling Stone where Dave and Perry break down the Ritual album, the most interesting bit was Dave's mention of snaking Van Halen's "Tora Tora" instrumental for "Obvious." Actually, it appears they modded Van Halen's "Loss Of Control" for Ain't No Right.

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Three Days is a good song.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  23. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Nothing's Shocking and Ritual De Lo Habitual are essential albums. Their music was the soundtrack to my teenage years in the '90s and to even this day.

24. Criminy pete

Wholeheartedly agree.

Holy Diver likes this.
  25. Criminy pete

There are 2 great compilations out. Up from the Catacombs which is a greatest hits and includes Stop, Ocean Size, Whores (one of my favs of theirs), Classic Girl, Mountain Song, etc. The other one is Kettle Whistle which has live stuff, demos and outtakes. I adore Ritual de lo Habitual and Nothings Shocking.

supernaut and Benjy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.