Janis Joplin-A forgotten legend?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

The coolest couple in rock n' roll heaven.

[​IMG]

2. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

The coolest and the creepiest- they both died at 27!

bluemooze likes this.
  3. Black Magic Woman

Piece of My Heart - Take 4

4. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

Man I love that chick.

bluemooze, Black Magic Woman and dsdu like this.
  5. Black Magic Woman

Excellent playlist. I’m following it on Spotify. But instead of Sam Cooke’s version of Summertime I would have had Ella Fitzgerald’s version, after all Janis loved Porgy & Bess so she probably listened to that version. Anyways, great playlist. I had never heard the original All Is Loneliness and I have to say Big Brother’s is much better!

6. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I don't think she's forgotten. A fair few artists from the last 20 years have name-checked her as an influence: Florence Welch, Lissie, Alicia Keys, Pink, Cat Power, Lady Gaga, Amy Winehouse, Joss Stone, Shea Seger, Beverley Knight, Joan Osborne and Melissa Etheridge.

Janis deserves a good biopic. I hope the Michelle Williams film goes ahead.

7. Kermit27

Kermit27 Forum Resident

I took your advice and replaced Sam Cooke with a live Ella version which includes a Janis-esque spoken word part in the middle.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  8. Black Magic Woman

And Lzzy Hale, Amy Lee, Donna Missal, Elle King, Mon Laferte, Leann Rimes, Lana Del Rey, Kesha, Adele, Halsey, the beloved Greta Van Fleet, Dorothy, Jade Bird, Christina Aguilera, Kelly Clarkson.
    I think the OP meant why she wasn’t as popular as The Doors or Jimi Hendrix, at least that’s what everyone discussed.

Yeah, I’m listening to it right now, I can hear her influence on Janis. Again, great playlist!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Kermit27 likes this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

10. Black Magic Woman

Not bad for a forgotten artist.
    [​IMG]

11. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Grace Slick was 1st & Janis was 2nd as the reigning queens of the 60s counterculture & I remember them quite well indeed...

Never cared that much for Joplins screaming but IMO she had her moments including...

1.Ball & Chain (Monterrey)
    2.Women Is Losers (1967)
    3.Little Girl Blue (1969)

FWIW Threadgills in Austin TX an early JJ haunt has a whole section & wall dedicated to the memory of our "Little Texas Girl Blue"

Fullbug, bluemooze and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. samthesham

Surprised that photo has not been deleted yet as SHF is so "family friendly"

13. samthesham

T

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That is one hell of a story!

lemonade kid likes this.
  15. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Janis will never be forgotten in my house or in my circle of close friends, and I am astonished at the notion that she is "a forgotten legend"; it is, well....just incredible to me. And I'll never really believe it. I refuse.

When I first heard her wringing out every note on the radio in 1969, singing "take another little piece of my heart now baby" (and she did), to my 18 year old mind, she was immortal already.

She always will be, as long as there are ears to behold her and hearts to embrace her.

[​IMG]

16. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

It sucks that people thought she was a rough looking women. She looks beautiful in this picture!

lemonade kid and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. lemonade kid

18. lemonade kid

Leonard Cohen on Janis passing...

Cohen was shaken by the loss of his fellow musician and one-time inamorata. “I was saddened by her death,” he told Sounds U.K. in 1976. “Not because someone dies – that in itself isn’t terrible. But I liked her work so much; she was that good that you feel the body of work she left behind is just too brief. There are certain kinds of artists that blaze in a very bright light for a very brief time: the Rimbauds, the Shelleys, Tim Buckley – people like that. And Janis was one of them.”

How Leonard Cohen Met Janis Joplin at the Chelsea Hotel - Rolling Stone

19. lemonade kid

Beauty shines from the inside out. If it ain't inside, it ain't on the outside.

oldjollymon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.