January Jazz

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MagicAlex, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

For an interesting read check out the "Straght Life" a book about Art. I'm gonna read it again. Its been about 5 or 6 years since i read it!

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus Thread Starter

I have been wanting to pick that one up for years now. Just gonna have to commit to doing it as soon as I finish my current read...A LIFE OF JAZZ which is about Stan Getz. Unfortunately for both sax players had a hell of a battle with the needle. Must be sad to be so dependant.

Thanks for the tip.

3. MagicAlex

Karrin Allyson

I've raved here about Karrin Allyson before...particularly her DAYDREAM and BALLADS: REMEMBERING JOHN COLTRANE albums. She a great jazz singer! It seems she has a new CD out and I've not heard it. Has anyone here heard it yet?

IN BLUE - Karrin Allyson

Click the link to check it out.

4. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Re: Karrin Allyson

Kevin, Great Link!! Sounds great W/ Steve wilson & Danny Embrey. I'll have get this one! Thanks, Ron.:cool:

5. MagicAlex

The Complete Roost Small Group Sessions

This week's box set selection for my listening pleasure will be THE COMPLETE ROOST JOHNNY SMITH SMALL GROUP SESSIONS from Mosaic. I've already worked through the first 4 discs (out of 8) this weekend and lovin' it! The first disc included the 12" LP MOONLIGHT IN VERMONT with a young Stan Getz. That one's always been a great selection for me. Zoot Sims also plays sax on some of the sides on that CD.

Most of the set is previously unreleased and Mosaic has done a good job of going back to the best sources. The first few discs are not what I call "sonic wonders" but the music is superb.

Smith is not a commonly known name when you ask folks who their favorite jazz guitarist is but after hearing some of these cuts I am surprised. What a musician. No wonder some of the greats, like Kessel & Montgomery, point back to him when crediting the masters.

Appearently he quit the music business sometime in the late 50's to pursue and focus on the family life.

6. MagicAlex

Well January is up and I am ending my month listening to THE COMPLETE BUD POWELL ON VERVE (5 CDs). Quite a package. Bud was a genius! The set has lots of alt takes and false starts so casual fans beware.

What's everyone else listenin' to?

7. MagicAlex

Just wanted to remind everyone that Amazon.com is having a 30% off sale on selected Fantasy Jazz titles. There are some classics here if you don't have them.

Fantasy Jazz 30% Discount

8. RDK

RDK Active Member

Just in the nick of time (for January that is)...

Some of what I've been listening to over the last week or so:

*Sampling the two new Mosaic Selects of Carmell Jones and Grachan Moncur
    *William Parker's "O'Neal's Porch"
    *A Paul Bley/Gary Burton disc whose title escapes me at the moment
    * The first Eddie Condon Mosaic set (which i just picked up sans box off of Ebay)
    *and lots of old Gene Krupa and Ben Webster since I picked up a couple of Proper Boxes from the Tower Sale.

Ray

9. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Miles: My Funny Valentine (Live) & Relaxin'

I burned a CD of a borrowed mono copy of My Funny Valentine Live Concert by Miles Davis. the arrangements totally disassemble some show tunes and put them back together like a picasso painting. Real cool, I never had this album before.

Still listening to the 45's. You do hear the sound of the room on the miles davis relaxin' album, he must have had a room mike, and the instruments miked separately. I thought I heard, at the beginning of one sax solo, the engineer was slow to raise the sax mike so you hear just the room mike for a split second. heh, heh. nice mono sound, though. yay!

10. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Well, it's already February but I'm looking forward to hearing John Scofield's new CD Scolohofo. This is a new jazz 'supergroup' with Joe Lovano, Dave Holland, and Al Foster. Substitute Joe Henderson and you have the band that did the Miles tribute So Near, So Far, one of my favorite releases of the last ten years.

11. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Hi Alex,

You have the dubious honors of retiring the January Jazz thread.

This type of thread is a great idea.

A new thread was started for Feb. but I've put my music on hold due to the
    Columbia disaster.

12. MagicAlex

All January Jazz users...please report to the new February Jazz thread for more fun & games!

Thanks to all who are contributing to this thread. Maybe we'll get to see it through to the end of the year.

I officially retire this thread while listening to 'Moanin'" as sung by Karrin Allyson which I finally did snag this afternoon. Ron...did you get one yet?

Gary...I pass the torch to you.... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.