Japan For Japan 35dp-4 Sold for Over $1200

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by ATSMUSIC, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

and much more importantly, the next time you find a sealed WYWH 35DP-4, you can try and look to see if it's gold tinted or not. :D

2. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah I would pass on it without the gold tint :D

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I find sealed 35DP series CDs all the time in the used bins here in PA. All. The. Time.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Sealed 28-29 year old CDs ???

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The 35.8P Michael Jackson titles are very hard to find (Thriller is tough; Off the Wall is very tough) and they are in high demand.

I doubt that you would ever see this in the $3 bins, but there have been two offered on auctions in Japan and the US in the past two years, so you can check before spending your hard earned $5000.

Here in Tokyo, 35DP sealed titles used to show up from time to time. I have Beck's There & Back, Willie Nelson and a few others. I did buy one sealed gold 35DP (Karla Bonoff 35DP-26) but I opened it. Original sealed titles have clean obis (no wear on the edges of the box) and the seal should have a "pull tab".

Also, here in Tokyo, popular used stores Recofan and Book Off reseal all of their CD's. Rather than having a clerk open every 35DP or 35 8P title, you can check if it is gold tinted by looking through the edge of the case. Saves you and the store a LOT of time.

6. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

Dale, I know this isn't a 35DC disc but this early Delos cd has a 1A1 matrix & Gold top to boot. Have you seen many/any of these?

Attached Files:

7. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Cool looking disc.

8. Second that. :righton:

9. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Was that CD made by Japan CBS/Sony?

10. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

Perhaps you can help clarify.

All the WYWH gold tops I've seen have the very early jewel case with a single long stop, and patent pending on the back. Have you ever seen a gold top WYWH with the later two stop jewel case?

Also, since you own nearly all of them, do all of your gold top 35DP CDs have the early one stop jewel case? If not, when did it change?

11. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

I presume so, as it has the "Manufactured By CBS/SONY" stamped hub.

12. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I own a few gold-tops, and some have a single stopper bar, and others have two.

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Sorry, I have never been a collector of classical CD's, so I have not seen too many early DELOS discs. The gold tinted label must have been something specifically done for DELOS; the relatively clean font on that disc suggests that it is not from the 82 - 83 period of the CBS/Sony gold tint discs.

I have only seen the gold tint WYWH with the single long stop. I have seen virtually all of the gold tint 35DP series discs in cases with the single long stop (off the top of my head, I remember that Hancock Direct Step 38DP-39 was a single stop, because I remember the booklet damage). I have also seen virtually all of the gold tint discs in the two stop jewel cases as well. Those two stop jewel cases are all heavy smooth top cases, so I doubt that someone would have switched cases. I think that they came that way.

14. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

Please explain.

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I'm not sure it matters when they switched to the two stop cases - although I think it was very, very early. I suppose that if you want to tell yourself that the disc you hold was actually sold on October 1, 1982, the day that CD's were introduced in Japan, you should make sure it's a single long stopper.

16. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

I believe this is called "sarcasm." :)

17. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

So the switch to two stop cases happened very early, during the gold top pressings. And the silver top pressings all have two stop cases?

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I cannot be sure of this, but I can't recall ever seeing a rock/pop release (35DP/35.8P) silver top pressing with s single stopper case, However, early classical releases (38DC) were silver discs and I have purchased them with the single stopper case.

19. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I only have one gold top, Boston - Don't Look Back. Crude Matrix.

It did not have the single stopper bar but aquired it through a forum member here who had a cracked gold top of this same pressing. Upgraded the art too.

20. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

21. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member Thread Starter

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It's not gold, though. Just a silver disc for this title. I bougjt mine many years ago; is it actually a unique mastering? Perhaps I should check Vernon's website.

23. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I think you're right. It sure looks gold though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.