Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

I used to have 2008 Harvest/Uni Triumvirat 3 albums Mini LP reissue with 2002 remaster.
    CDJapan : Triumvirat Albums, Blu-rays, DVDs, Books, Magazines, and Discography
    When Uni turned the Pt SHM/SHM-SACD project into Mini LP releases in 2013, I sold them off.
    I was so naive, I thought now everything would be Hi-Res with a new transfer...
    Still the chances are big that Uni will reissue these titles, since 10 years have passed from the last release.
    Sound was good, as I recall, but I can't give you the details.
    However, you can try 45second (not 30) sound samplers:
    CDJapan : Spartacus [Cardboard Sleeve] [Priced-down Reissue] Tracklisting

The rule is: don't buy old releases - everything that has been done since 2008 sounds much better.
    I'm waiting for a new release.
    Not just Spartacus, all of them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. toilet_doctor

It works like this: if they gently use tape from time to time, the tape retains its flexibility and remains in good shape.
    Such is the case with The Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, which was used more often than other albums.

Shvartze Shabbos and Oyster Boy like this.
  3. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

toilet_doctor, you propably should now this. Are those Peter Hammill's SHM relases: Peter Hammill - The Silent Corner And The Empty Stage (with VJCP in cat. number) his own remasters exactly the same as european relases from 2006? I am 99% sure that they are but can't be too carefull. Also I heard rumors that at least some errors present in european remasters (like indexing error between Gog and Magog) were fixed on these. do You know if it is true?

toilet_doctor likes this.
  4. I have all of these in the two respective remastered GH solo box sets which his estate and label released and I imagine that the original masters were used for those too. Capital and Warner, I think. If these were SACD, it woukd be a automatic buy. Any compensation between the remastered from the two sets in the US about 10 - 12 years ago and the new SHM-CD’s?

5. toilet_doctor

Peter Hammill solo Mini LP CD releases were the same world release master, as you said. Some errors correction was very possible, but I don't know for sure.

What I can tell for sure that the strongest points of that 2006 release was: improvement in the quality of the covers over 2005 VdGG release.

Another strongest point was that they treat Peter's solo albums and band albums as a whole, creating a Series under the same OBI design. That's how most VdGG fans feel, then and now.
    It was very smart move, driving Mini LP collectors to have them all. They even included first solo album Fool's Mate in the VdGG Pawn Hearts Promo box for design sake, as they need 3 albums in each box, 9 albums in total.

The DU box was stunning (I still have it). This was probably the first 4 slipcases (3-in-1) design box:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(only 5 pictures per post)

Dok and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  6. toilet_doctor

Each inner case box covered two albums:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. toilet_doctor

8. toilet_doctor

For solo releases, they added 3 more boxes, 4 albums in each box - very nicely made:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. toilet_doctor

10. Incredible. Very nicely reproduced and I’m sure the sound is amazing too. Japanese strike again!

Crimson Witch and toilet_doctor like this.
  11. I have no interest in that music but the boxes are beautiful pieces of art.

12. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

Looks amazing. Relly pity that they did not use the 2015 DSD ones in any later relases (why it wasnt used i jewel case relases in 2016 is beyond my understanding...) as well and didn't made them for Peter's solo work at all :(. I would pay a lot of money to have those DSD transfers at least for albums from Fools Mate to Over and I bet they would sell well and the company would profit. I can't understand why they never relased such thing...

As for Fools Mate - even in eruopean realses it was threated like extra VDGG album not solo one and relased with others in 2005 instead with rest of PH solo albums in 2006 :D You even spot the difference by looking at cat. number on the spine (VDGG + Fool's mate had regular virgin number while all other Peter's solo works had CASCDR number)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  13. toilet_doctor

(from Van Der Graaf Generator SHM-SACD thread)
    Marketing mistake by EMI: EMI abandoned its Japanese division and began to release a new Mini LP SHM-CD sets with an old remaster (8-pc box) using Uni, Japan as a manufacturer. Then they merged with Uni and joined the SHM-SACD/Pt Project, but the damage was already done. The Japanese, who bought the boxes, got angry and sabotaged the new release, which was selling too slowly. That stopped solo and live releases.

Unnecessary box:
    [​IMG]

14. toilet_doctor

Automatic buy? What automatic buy?
    Compensation? What compensation?

I doubt that DSD conversion of this remaster for SACD release may be a game changer. At least for 3 of 4 albums I've tried.

They are coming with a new DSD transfer for the entire set in MQA UHQCD format in December.
    I'm going to compare major albums again in UHQCD thread.
    Stay tuned...

15. I meant to type comparison, not compensation. I was stating that if the George Harrison SMM- CD’s I quoted in your post were being released as SHM-SACD’s, then it would be an automatic buy.

16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

How does it sound, compared with the MFSL?

:wave:

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. It is a clone of the original U.S. SACD circa 2001 (2.0/5.1) release except this version includes the cool Japanese packaging with all the extras in the large format ala Jeff Beck, Santana and Billy Joel. Sounds good but the MFSL may have a slight edge in SQ. I have them but haven’t compared. I’m sure @toilet_doctor will though.

18. toilet_doctor

There are plenty reviews on both releases, including Steve's one of the old SACD.
    I believe Carole deserved a new remaster from Sony to put in a such packaging...

19. toilet_doctor

I meant, no automatic buys with this sound. Let see what MQA can do to the new transfer in December...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Crimson Witch likes this.
  20. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I have this. Skip it. Not near as good as MFSL

ponkine and toilet_doctor like this.
  21. toilet_doctor

Would MFSL fit into the Sony sleeves?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  22. The two box sets from the labels sound very nice. I’m sure they used the original tapes or at last digital copy to master these boxes. But I’ll be very interested in your analysis of the MQA vs the Dark Horse Years and The Apple Years box sets which IMHO sound excellent.

Crimson Witch and toilet_doctor like this.
  23. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Just checked the CD Japan site and all of the Elton John mini sleeves are now showing as "No Longer Available"
    Something is up. The release date still shows as December 19th with a Try Proxy Shipping message.

24. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Yesh, it is discused on the thread below (sorry I can't link it)
    Elton John new 2018 remasters shm

Shvartze Shabbos and Mike McMann like this.
  25. toilet_doctor

Sony added one more SACD to 7" Mini LP SACD series in the very end of the year:

Dec. 26, 2018

Billy Joel Stranger (7" Mini LP 5.1 Hybrid SACD + Blu-spec 2)

"40th anniversary edition of "The Stranger" from Billy Joel features SACD Hybrid format with 5.1ch surround on SACD layer produced by Phil Ramone. 2ch voice track features 2011 digital remastering by Ted Jensen. CD layer includes five bonus tracks taken from a concert held at Nassau coliseum in 1977. Disc 2 includes live tracks taken from a concert at Carnegie Hall in 1977, which is included in "The Stranger" 30th anniversary edition, and this disc features Blu-spec CD2 format for this release.

Packed in a 7-inch cardboard sleeve packaging (18 x 18cm), including an inner bag, which replicates the one in its US first pressing LP. Also, it faithfully replicates an obi and label on CD surface from its Japanese edition LP. Comes with a pamphlet, a concert ticket, and a flyer, each faithfully replicating the one of "Stranger Tour" in 1978 in Japan.

Also, this set includes two ad posters, three LP single cover artworks, and two obi sleeves, each faithfully replicating the one regarding to its Japanese release. They are replicated for the first time in four decades. Includes a 24-page color booklet (from 2008's lagacy edition) and a 60-page booklet with lyrics and a description
    ."
    [$44.12]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018