Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have heard the Blu-Spec CD of Accidentally on Purpose. The original Virgin is still the best pressing.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  2. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

Although this is not entirely accurate (there was no Blu-spec release yet), your comment, however, raised an important question: which remaster Vivid Sound will use?

You most likely heard the previous Mini LP CD release on Airmail Records, Japan with 2007 24-bit remastering:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But after 2 years, Polish label Metal Mind Records released a very limited (1000 copies) numbered Digipak edition with a new remastering and 24-K Gold disc pressing:

Accidentally on Purpose” is a pop-rock album by Deep Purple’s members Ian Gillan & Roger Glover, released in 1988. While Deep Purple was in the middle of "House of Blue Light" concert tours, Gillan and Glover decided to take a little time off and head back to the studio. The material they had in mind was a huge step aside... It's state-of-the-art album-rock for 1988 that manages to incorporate homages to their roots while illustrating that they had a broader stylistic sweep than anyone expected. Even though it starts off on a surprisingly intimate note with "Clouds and Rain," the biggest revelation of the album is that it proves that Gillan and Glover are capable of doing things other than hard rock and doing them quite convincingly. There is a surprisingly broad range of styles here — not just hard rock, but sunny tropical pop on "She Took My Breath Away" and "Cayman Island," roadhouse R&B on their cover of Lloyd Price's "Can't Believe You Wanna Leave," dense horn-spiked pop/rock "Dislocated," blues on "I Thought No" and synthesized roots rock on "Via Miami". If you are more open-minded to a very professionally done, artistic and diverse music, that’s the album for you."

[​IMG]

A year later, in 2010, the original master tape was licensed by another independent label, Edsel Records, UK, specializing in reissues of Classic Rock. They made a serious remaster by Nick Blagona (Demon Music Group):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To say that “the original Virgin [1988] is still the best pressing”, you need to compare it with these two releases and the new Blu-spec.

For those interested in these Gillan / Glover and Lord solo albums, I will comment on the SQ - no need to rush into a purchase.
    (It makes sense to buy them with David Gilmore releases in June).

Musicisthebest and Oyster Boy like this.
  3. toilet_doctor

The first Stones 5 Japan Mini LP SHM-CD Promo box set appeared (called EXHIBITIONISM and came sealed):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is nice drawer box, but on the pictures Mini LPs don't have OBI (yet?), while they came with OBI individually:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jerry Horne, dsdu and PhantomStranger like this.
  4. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S.

Please note:

This box set was not advertised through Japanese box set dealers, and they still do not have them.
    The guy who offers 3 box sets (one is gone for $299 + $25 sipping) on eBay says:
    ARTIST : THE ROLLING STONES
    TITLE : Paper Sleeve Collection - Exhibitionism Exclusive
    CATALOGUE NUMBER: PROT1245/9
    CONDITION - The set is still brand new and FACTORY SHRINKWRAP SEALED!

OTHER DETAILS:
    This is an official Japan only limited edition release ONLY available for 16 days for purchase IN PERSON on paid admission to the Japanese Rolling Stones EXHIBITIONISM event.

This is an event only box set, not for sale in normal record stores.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    noname74 likes this.
  5. toilet_doctor

Much cheaper solution:
    To put these Mini LP CDs in another brand new Stones box available on eBay for $30.68:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Edsel’s Gillan & Glover remaster is just loud DR7 vs DR13.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  8. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Tell us more about the Blu-Spec you heard??

noname74 likes this.
  9. toilet_doctor

Fans of Paul McCartney can add to their collection 4 Live albums released by Universal ($24.35). First of them was released in Mini LP 19 yers ago; the rest are released in MIni LP for a first time with a new remaster.

July 12, 2019

(SHM-CD)
    Paul McCartney & Wings Wings Over America (2CD)
    Paul McCartney CHOBA B CCCP (Back in The USSR)
    Paul McCartney & Wings Paul Is Live
    Paul McCartney & Wings Amoeba Gig

Actually, this is a Mini LP SHM-CD version of the new LP release coming simultaneously:

[​IMG]

" LOS ANGELES, May 24, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Following last night's kick-off of this year's North American leg of his record-breaking FRESHEN UP Tour, PAUL McCARTNEY adds to his Summer of LIVE: Paul has confirmed updated releases of four albums capturing performances spanning from his 1975-1976 return to U.S. arenas with Wings to his intimate 2007 set at Amoeba records in Los Angeles. The albums — Amoeba Gig, Paul Is Live, Choba B CCCP, Wings Over America — will be released July 12, 2019 via MPL/Capitol/UMe digitally, on CD and on both black and limited-edition color vinyl."

Wings Over America
    "Features cardboard sleeve packaging for the first time in 20 years. 2013 remaster. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design (gatefold). Three inner sleeves. Comes with a booklet (2019 edition). Comes with a poster faithfully replicating the original bonus poster. Comes with lyrics and a description."

(translation)
    Wings Over America [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Paul McCartney & Wings
    "[Paul McCartney SHM-CD / Paper Jacket Recurrence Series # 3] The third in a series of CDs that collected four titles of "LIVE" albums announced by Paul McCartney from 1970's to 2000's. SHM-CD / paper jacket specification only for Japanese edition this time. From the Wings "Wings Over The World Tour" which was unfolded from September 1975 to October 76, the best take on the stage at the North American Leg held in May and June 75, Live album. A record of the enthusiasm and excitement of the concert starting with the medley of "Venus and Mars-Rock Show-Jet". A masterpiece of rock history that captures their peak period. (Announced in 1976)."
    ● Paper jacket reappears for the first time in 20 years since 1999 (the first E-type specification)
    ● Double-spread jacket specification that reproduced the UK first edition LP
    ● LP miniature Original bonus poster (six folds both sides color)
    ● Miniature reproduction Inner sleeves (x 3) included
    ● 2019 edition booklet included
    ● 2013 remastered
    ● English liner / lyrics"

CD1:
    1. Venus And Mars / Rock Show / Jet
    2. Let Me Roll It
    3. Spirits Of Ancient Egypt
    4. Medicine Jar
    5. Maybe I'm Amazed
    6. Call Me Back Again
    7. Lady Madonna
    8. The Long And Winding Road
    9. Live And Let Die
    10. Picasso's Last Words
    11. Richard Cory
    12. Bluebird
    13. I've Just Seen A Face
    14. Blackbird
    15. Yesterday

CD2:
    1. You Gave Me The Answer
    2. Magneto And Titanium Man
    3. Go Now
    4. My Love
    5. Listen To What The Man Said
    6. Let 'Em In
    7. Time To Hide
    8. Silly Love Songs
    9. Beware My Love
    10. Letting Go
    11. Band On The Run
    12. Hi, Hi, Hi
    13. Soily

Paul McCartney & Wings - Let 'Em In [Live] [High Quality]

Paul McCartney & Wings - Maybe I'm Amazed [Live] [High Quality]

Paul McCartney & Wings - Silly Love Songs (Rockshow)

Paul McCartney - Blackbird (Acoustic Live)

Back In The USSR "CHOBA B CCCP" [Pronunciation - snova v SSSAR]
    "Features cardboard sleeve packaging for the first time. 2019 remaster. The mini LP faithfully replicates its Soviet Union first pressing LP design. Comes with a poster (2019 edition).Comes with lyrics and a description."

(translation)
    CHOBA B CCCP (Back In The U.S.S.R.) [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Paul McCartney
    "A cover album released exclusively in the Soviet Union (at the time). "The Kansas City", which also featured the Beatles era, Eddie Cochran's "Twenty Flight Rock", Sam Cooke's "Bring it on home to me", Little Richard's "Lucille" , Elvis Presley "That 's All Light, Mama" such as rock and roll classics he loves to live recording in the studio. The work that has returned to their roots is reprinted on the original LP street song. (Announced in 1988)
    ● The first paper jacketing
    ● 2019 latest remastering
    ● Paper jacket specification that reproduces the Soviet first edition LP
    ● With 2019 edition bonus posters
    ● English liner, translation / lyrics"

Review
    "Paul Going Back to His Roots
    Paul really sounding committed on this covers album blasting through great Rock n Roll numbers from his youth. He still delivers on Kansis City showing he has great Rock n Roll voice. The CD is well produced with a good clear sound. I love his change of tempo with the classic Summertime where you feel the blues of his great voice really come over. He tackles Ain't that a Shame with gusto. When you listen to this CD he sounds free and without constraint. All the tracks are well within his capability as a performer and he just delivers honest rock n roll.
    I hope he records something like this again in the near future
    ."

1. Kansas City
    2. Twenty Flight Rock
    3. Lawdy, Miss Clawdy
    4. Bring It On Home To Me
    5. Lucille
    6. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
    7. That's All Right (Mama)
    8. Ain't That A Shame
    9. Crackin' Up
    10. Just Because
    11. Midnight Special

10.- Paul McCartney- Summertime (Album Снова в СССР 1988)

01.- Paul McCartney - Kansas City (Album Снова в СССР 1988)

02.- Paul McCartney - Twenty flight rock (Album Снова в СССР 1988)

05.- Paul McCartney - Bring it on home to me (Album Снова в СССР 1988)

11.- Paul McCartney - Ain't that a shame (Album Снова в СССР 1988)

Paul Is Live
    "Features cardboard sleeve packaging for the first time. 2019 remaster. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design. Comes with a poster faithfully replicating the original bonus poster. Two inner sleeves."

(translation)
    Paul Is Live (New World Tour Live!!) [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Paul McCartney
    "The live album which compiled the sound source in "New World Tour" which ran through the world from February to December, 1993. Not only solo but also the representative songs of the Wings era were scattered and the Beatles number of 11 songs among 24 songs including the opening "Drive My Car" is recorded. The title and artwork that parodied "Pope's death theory" that flowed when The Beatles released "Abbey Road" also attracted a great deal of attention. (1993 announced). The first paper jacketing. 2019 latest remastering. The paper jacket specification that reproduced the UK first edition LP. Miniature reproduction of the original privilege poster. Inner sleeve (x 2) with English liner with / Lyrics."

Drive My Car
    Let Me Roll It
    02. Paul McCartney [HD] - Let Me Roll It
    Looking For Changes
    Peace In The Neighbourhood
    All My Loving
    Robbie's Bit (Thanks Chet)
    Good Rockin' Tonight
    We Can Work It Out
    Paul McCartney - We Can Work It Out (Paul is Live)
    Hope Of Deliverance
    Paul McCartney - Hope Of Deliverance 1993 (HQ, ZDF Wetten Dass)
    Michelle Biker
    Like An Icon
    Here, There And Everywhere
    The Beatles - Paul Mccartney - Here, There and Everywhere (Live)
    My Love
    Paul McCartney - My Love [HD] Up Close 1992
    Magical Mystery Tour
    C'Mon People
    Lady Madonna
    Paperback Writer
    Penny Lane
    Live And Let Die
    Paul McCartney -" Live And Let Die"-1993 PAUL LIVE
    Kansas City
    Hotel In Benidorm
    Paul McCartney ~ Hotel in Benidorm
    I Wanna Be Your Man
    A Fine Day
    Paul McCartney - A Fine Day

Amoeba Gig
    "Features cardboard sleeve packaging for the first time. 2019 remaster. The mini LP faithfully replicates its EU 2019 pressing LP design. An inner sleeve. Comes with lyrics and a description."

(translation)
    Amoeba Gig [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Paul McCartney
    "A live recording containing the secret gig of the release memorabilia “Memory Almost Full” released at Amoeba Music, a record shop in Hollywood on June 27, 2007. Two unreleased takes (including the first general release) with two songs from "Across the Recollections", "C Moon" and "I Saw Her Standing There" Extended version added. Here are some of the precious performances presented in front of just 900 fans. (Announced 2019). The first full edition / first paper jacketing. 2019 latest remastering. A paper jacket specification that reproduces a miniature of the 2019 EU edition LP. With inner sleeve. With English liner / lyrics."

1. Drive My Car
    2. Only Mama Knows
    3. Dance Tonight
    4. C Moon
    5. The Long And Winding Road
    6. I'll Follow The Sun
    7. Calico Skies
    8. That Was Me
    9. Blackbird
    10. Here Today
    11. Back In The USSR
    12. Nod Your Head
    13. House Of Wax
    14. I've Got A Feeling
    15. Matchbox
    16. Get Back
    17. Baby Face
    18. Hey Jude
    19. Let It Be
    20. Lady Madonna
    21. I Saw Her Standing There

The Long and winding road - Paul McCartney. Live.

Paul McCartney & Wings - C Moon [High Quality]

Paul McCartney - Only Mama Knows - Live Jools Holland 2007

Paul McCartney & Bruce Springsteen - I Saw Her Standing There & Twist And Shout

10. fspadafora

fspadafora Forum Resident

Well the cost of the box is not much more than the cost of all 5 combined. We just need to find someone to buy them for us for a reasonable fee. This ebay seller is adding $170 to cost + $25 shipping. Too much!

Anyone in here have access to these?

11. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Brilliantly written and researched as usual.

12. toilet_doctor

jhm and Oyster Boy like this.
  13. toilet_doctor

New releases from Belle [$28.76].

June 25, 2019

(SHM-CD)
    Old Man and the Sea S/T + 1
    Tear Gas S/T
    Fields S/T + 2
    Byzantium Live & Studio
    Byzantium Byzantium
    Byzantium Seasons Changing

(translation)
    Old Man and the Sea [SHM-CD] / The Old Man & The Sea
    "[Belle Antique Paper Jacket Series] A Danish hard rock band that disappeared after leaving its only album in 1972. An album with a sense of drive that features an organ, and an illusive album that is traded at a high price, combined with its rarity. Paper jacket, remastered, SHM-CD release. Bonus track recording. The title which has been out of print for a long time is the encore press decision!
    Additional bonus track recording"

Reviews
    "... I like absolutely everything on this record. But most prominent of them all is keyboard. And vocals. Music is good in general and instruments are just wonderful. I'm afraid I can't rate lyrics so much, because I wasn't listening. Just flying away in a great prog airplane. This "Princess" track reminds me another rock band, much more famous one (name of the song is Lady, I forgot the band. Could it be Uriah Heep?). This is probably my least favourite. I want also mention the last track. Great ending."

"The Old Man & The Sea from Denmark made one album selftitled in 1972 and then disappeared untill they disbanded in 1975. Denmark has some quite intresting prog bands in early to mid '70s like Ache, Secret Oyster, Burnin Red Ivanhoe and others with good petential in prog scene around that time. The Old Man & The Sea offers a heavy prog type of music quite typical for that era, organ laden with similarities towards british school of that time like Uriah Heep, Purple or Atomic Rooster. The name of the band is take from the novel with same name, a quite popular tale among nordic peoples I might say, danish band find intresting and opteining for the name. The sound is accesible and melodic but also are some more hard rock parts that is well integrated in the overall prog atmosphere. The opening Living Dead or the ending Going Blind are quite more then ok, hammong melted with bluesy guitars but under prog flag. Nice vocal arrangements, Ole Wedel has a very good tone for such music. So, 3.5 stars, better then average , but not fantastic, still worth some spins from time to time."
    (progarchives)

"The Old Man & The Sea are a progressive rock band from Denmark that can be compared to Jethro Tull and Atomic Rooster. They have only one album named The Old Man And The Sea with a typical Hammond-driven sound. They took their name from the Old Tale (seems to be quite popular one around the Baltic Sea) and made their album based on that. All of the songs on the album has been awarded an icon image of this tale on the booklet of the CD. Thge songs are definitely hard rock with a predominent guitar but KB are also quite present . We are also gratified of a few flute interventions. The vocals are in English and quite apt. The Monk Song is the highlight and cut into two section with the first part showing all of the possibilities of the band." (comment)

The Old Man And The Sea - The Monk Song (Part 1)

The Old Man And The Sea - Going Blind

Previous 2011 release was part of the combined set:

Review
    "Great album of a beautiful band.This release is distinguished by a detailed sound, a beautiful live music transmission."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(translation)
    Tear Gas [SHM-CD] / Tear Gas
    "[Belle Antique Paper Jacket Series] The final work of Tier Gas, who will form a band with Alex Harvey. Announced in 1971. Bass Chris Glen and drum Eddie (Ted) McKenna will later be members of Michael Schenker's MSG. Fat hard rock sound is top class in the scene at the time. Now it's time to re-evaluate! Paper jackets, SHM-CDs, the definitive version of the latest remasters!"

[​IMG]

What remaster is it? More likely it is the Esoteric 2019, released one month ago:
    "Esoteric Recordings are pleased to announce the release of a newly re-mastered official CD release of the 1971 self-titled album by TEAR GAS. Formed in Glasgow at the close of the 1960s, the band featured Eddie Campbell (keyboards), Zal Cleminson (guitar), Chris Glen (bass, vocals), Gilson Lavis (drums) and Andi Mulvey (vocals). Mulvey and Lavis were soon replaced respectively by keyboard player and vocalist David Batchelor, and Richard Monro. This line-up recorded the album "Piggy Go Getter", in 1970. Some months later Hugh McKenna replaced Batchelor while his cousin Ted McKenna (ex-Dream Police) took over from Monro on drums. This line-up of Tear Gas soon earned a reputation as a fine live act and the band's self-titled second album was much stronger work than it's predecessor, released in the UK on the Regal Zonophone label in 1971. Despite it's excellence, the album failed to sell in significant quantities. In August 1972 Zal Cleminson, Ted McKenna, Hugh McKenna and Chris Glen joined forces with vocalist Alex Harvey to form The Sensational Alex Harvey Band who would meet with success and record a series of inventive albums throughout the 1970s. Thanks to the musician's later work with SAHB, the Tear Gas recordings are now highly sought after by collectors. This Esoteric Recordings edition has been re-mastered from the surviving master tapes and the booklet features a new essay and restores the original album artwork."

If blues based Hard Rock is your thing, try this rare album.

"I've purchased thousands of blues/rock lps, cds, cassettes and 8 tracks since the 60's. I thought I heard it all. With YOU TUBE I discovered how much music I missed during mid 60s to the mid 70s. When I heard the first TEAR GAS album I knew I had to buy it." (comment)
    Tear Gas - Where Is My Answer

TEAR GAS 1971

Tear Gas - I'm Glad

Tear Gas 08 The First Time

Fields [SHM-CD] / Fields
    "[Belle Antique Paper Jacket series] This is the only keyboard trio formed by Rare Bird's founder member keyboardist Graham Field, drummer Andy McCulloch (ex. King Crimson) and Alan Barry (bass guitar, voc.) after leaving the group. In addition to catchy vocal lines and progressive organ sounds reminiscent of Rare Bird, this masterpiece album features McCulloch's technical drumming that tightens the music. Paper jacket, SHM-CD, original poster inclusion, bonus tracks 2 songs included, definitive edition of the latest remastered contents!"

Review
    "Quickly, Fields was Rare Bird's main keyboard man Graham Field's first (last?) post-Bird project. Bringing at least a little of the early Rare Bird vibe along for the ride, albeit with one keyboardist rather than two, bassist/guitarist/composer/vocalist Alan Barry and drummer Andy McCulloch (between stints in Crimson and Greenslade) shore up the incredibly full sound for a very unique and melodic prog album.

Field and McCulloch shine like you'd expect, but it's Barry who impresses the most here. His pitch-perfect tenor sails over all these great songs and provides a real nice mechanism for exploiting these beautiful melodies. I'd love to know whatever became of Alan Barry after such a powerful performance here. Barry's previous stints as session man for Gordon Haskell's It Is and It Isn't album and as part of one the Giles brothers' pre-GG&F bands are pretty much all I can find on this guy's skimpy resume.
    Like another well known keyboard-based 3-piece band, Refugee, Fields only managed this one album before imploding. It's worthy of a search for all keyboard-obsessed melodic, yet heavy prog nuts out there - you know who you are!
    "

"This a crime that this absolute joy of an album is somehow overlooked by the majority of prog heads! Each and every song will delight the eardrums as the albums songs seem to float around you. There is nothing particularly flashy about the music itself, just quality track after quality track. While they are listed as Heavy Prog I'd say they'd have to on the light end of that subgenre and their music is accessible to anyone carrying an appreciation for the prog of the 70s (and who here doesn't). There is one stand out highlight on this album that rises just a cut above the already excellent quality of the other track, that being the final track The Eagle which is just a fantastic resculpting of Pachelbel's Canon in D Major. This should serve as an example to all of how to add onto such a classic without losing anything from the original piece. I encourage all from far and wide to search far and wide to find themselves a copy of this sadly forgotten gem. Fields recieves 4.25 out of 5."

I selected 5 songs for the post, but couldn't find good sounding samplers on UT:
    A Friend of Mine, Slow Susan, Over and Over Again, Feeling Free, The Eagle
    But only full album sounded good:
    Fields - Fields 1971 Full Album Listen

Previous Air Mail record 2012 release w/new remaster:

[​IMG]

Unfolded cover looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I passed on and missed these 3 albums - now is the time to rethink everything again.

14. toilet_doctor

Byzantium was UK (pop-rock with some prog elements) band - the progarhives put them in a Prog-related sub-genre.
    Being a newcomer to the band, I honestly tried all 3 albums and found the 3rd album the most mature work thanks to over 20 min trilogy on Side 2.

[​IMG][​IMG]

(translation)
    Live & Studio [SHM-CD] / Byzantium
    "[Belle Antique Paper Jacket series] Byzantium formed in 1970. An exclusionary album in which only 100 limited copies were produced independently in 1972 after which A & M album debuted. The live sound source is quite progressive and you can enjoy the aspect that is not in the studio work. Paper jacket, SHM-CD, the definitive edition of the latest remaster!"

"This amazing album of rural progressive guitar is by far the best of the 3 album releases by the band. It was privately pressed while the band were trying to secure a record deal. Due to the costs of record production only 100 copies of this magnificent debut were pressed." (comment)
    I have to add that the 3 best songs (entire side 2) from the 3rd album were taken and mixed with other songs (not as bonus tracks) for the CD release in 2014. This makes it "by far the best of 3".
    First song is, however, really nice.

Surely Peace Will Come To Those Who Try

Byzantium - I'll Just Take My Time (uk 1972)

Cowboy Song

If You Wanna Be My Girl

(translation)
    Byzantium [SHM-CD] / Byzantium
    "[Belle Antique Paper Jacket Series] Debuted by Byzantium, an unfortunate band who was not blessed with hits for some time, while being good at British pop rock sound leading to 10cc, PILOT, etc. and having sophisticated high-quality sound. (Announced in 1972). Somewhere, the exhilaration that leads to the West Coast Sound is combined with the British shade to create a unique atmosphere. Paper jacket, SHM-CD, definitive edition of the latest remastered content!"

[​IMG][​IMG]

BYZANTIUM Byzantium 01 - 02

(translation)
    Seasons Changing [SHM-CD] / Byzantium
    "Byzantium Final work (1973). Further refine the style of the previous work, catchy song melody, chunky chorus, etc., a beloved masterpiece that combines the West Coast Sound and the good parts of British pop rock. Reproduce the special variant paper jacket, SHM-CD, the definitive version of the latest remaster!"

[​IMG]

Review
    "The final album from Byzantium is a real eclectic mix of sounds, more of a sampler of the various members’ backgrounds and stylistic experiences than any kind of cohesive band effort. And that’s okay for the most part; the tracks here are all very well arranged, and the production is mostly good. The bass and drums seem to wash out from time to time, but that’s not really all that unusual for heavy rock/prog bands of that time period. Nico Ramsden had moved on to a career of solo and session work by the time this album was released, replaced by guitarists Jamie Rubenstein and Mike Barakan. Both these guys also contribute vocals throughout, as do the rest of the members except drummer Stephen Corduner. Their first album is impossible to find, but I’ve heard the second several times and have noted in reviews that it sounds a bit like a cross between Uriah Heep and Wishbone Ash. That’s not quite true of this, the band’s third and final album. The first track maybe, but with a little bit of Edgar Winter prog-blues keyboards thrown in for good measure. The group also shows a definite tendency toward commercial-sounding riffs mixed in with some excellent extended guitar jamming. So the roots of proglike music is here, but these guys were all journeymen musicians looking to make their careers in the business, so they weren’t going to shy away from sounds that might either sell, or at least gain the ear of a record executive. In fact, at least three of these guys left good old England and landed in the Los Angeles music scene after Byzantium’s breakup. “My Season's changing with the Sun” is a short but interesting three-part vocal harmony number with a simple rhythm and a little syncopated percussion, just the kind of thing that reinforces my opinion that these guys were working out a sound that would gain them a big swing in the popular music business. “Show Me the Way” and “I’ll Always be your Friend” on the other hand sound like a different type of commercial play; specifically, very Jeff Lynne-sounding compositions with lively piano, pop vocals, and a simple beat. “October Andy” is a pleasant enough tune but the production is rather flat on the lower end and it ends up sounding pretty muddled. The album closes with about twenty minutes of ”Something You Said”, a three-part meandering work that moves from soft blues to early seventies pop to a sort of jazzy slow-tempo section to and extended guitar jam. Very cool, very laid-back, very early seventies. Kind of borders on some of the stuff Santana was doing around the same time, and makes for a great close to an otherwise average album."-- John Koutromanos

Something You Said - A Trilogy 20:29 Part 1 / Something You Said Part 2 / I Can See You Part 3 / Morning
    Byzantium - Something You Said (Part 1-2-3.)

Show Me The Way

I'll Always Be Your Friend

Boaz likes this.
  15. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

looks like the elton john series is back up for preorder. stating August 7 release. I have them on preorder again. hopefully won't be cancelled this time.

16. toilet_doctor

- update -

The release of Elton John, canceled last year, is back, all 13 albums.
    They did not change anything in advertising.

Aug. 07, 2019

(SHM-CD)
    Elton John Empty Sky
    Elton John S/T
    Elton John Tumbleweed Connection
    Elton John Madman Across The Water
    Elton John Honky Chateau
    Elton John Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player
    Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Elton John Caribou
    Elton John Greatest Hits
    Elton John Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy
    Elton John Rock Of The Westies
    Elton John Blue Moves (2CD)
    Elton John Greatest Hits Volume 2

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Elton John features SHM-CD format. The mini LP faithfully replicates the UK first pressing LP design (gatefold). An OBI faithfully replicating the Japanese first pressing LP design. Uses the master made in 2018 based on the UK analog tapes. Comes with lyrics and a description." [$24.56]

17. That's good news about the Eltons.

18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Fixed. :)

19. toilet_doctor

Having released 4 albums Tangerine Dream in the SHM-SACD / Pt SHM series in 2015, Uni has returned to the same titles. This time each title has a bonus disc from unpublished material (Phaedra has 2 bonus discs) and 2019 remastering. Each Disc 1 (first 3 albums) is a new remix of Steven Wilson.

Aug. 14, 2019

(SHM-CD)
    Tangerine Dream Phaedra (3CD)
    Tangerine Dream Rubicon (2CD)
    Tangerine Dream Ricochet (2CD)
    Tangerine Dream Stratosfear (2CD)

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Tangerine Dream features SHM-CD format. Comes with a bonus disc with unreleased tracks. The mini LP faithfully replicates the UK first pressing LP design. An OBI faithfully replicating the one with the Japanese first pressing LP. Features the 2019 remastering. Comes with a description." [$33.33 - 2CD], [$38.68 - 3CD]

(rough and misleading translation - sorry about that)
    Phaedra [3CD Edition] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Tangerine Dream
    "[Tangerine Dream Paper Jacket Recurring Series] From Tangerine Dream's Virgin Records released between 1974 and 1979, " Phaedra", "Rubicon", " Ricochet" and "Stratosfear" released as an expanded edition that added live sound source as a bonus disc. The original 4-albumrelease is a sound source newly remastered from the master tape of the first generation.
    Announced in 1974. A total of five works have appeared as a three-disc set Expanded Edition as a work adorning the opening of their "Virgin Years". This work, which bears the name of King Minos' daughter in Greek mythology, climbs to 5th on the UK chart and has made its name visible to the world.
    Disc 1 contains a remix of the main songs and two songs by Steven Wilson.
    Discs 2 and 3 contain eight unreleased outtakes recorded in November 1973.
    - Bonus disc with unannounced sound source recording
    - Paper jacket specification that reproduced the UK first edition LP
    - With a winding band that reproduced Japan first edition LP
    - With 2019 latest remastering
    - With commentary
    - Limited Edition
    - Japan original planning"

Rubicon [2CD Edition] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Tangerine Dream
    "Announced in 1975. A large-scale work created using synthesizers and sequencers on the theme of the Rubicon River, appears as a 2-disc Expanded Edition that uses the new mix of genius Steven Wilson. Disc 1 contains the main feature and "Rubicon" (Extended Introduction), and Disc 2 contains six tracks of the soundtrack "Oedipus Tyrannus", which was announced in July 1974 but not produced yet."

Ricochet [2CD Edition] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Tangerine Dream
    "Announced in 1975. A live album featuring the sounds from England and France from the European Tour, which took place from August to October 1975, appears as a two-disc Expanded Edition.
    Disc 1 contains the main story and 2018 stereo remixes by Stephen Wilson.
    Disc 2 contains part 1 of a concert held at the Victoria Palace Theater in London on June 16, 1974, which was unpublished so far."

[​IMG]

We talked about the 2015 release (OOP) on the Platinum thread and one guy suggested Ricochet:
    And although, I'm not a fan of early TD, I like it and bought the SHM-SACD version; then I posted a comment on SHM-SACD thread:
    The sound is open, smooth and clean. It is hard to evaluate highs and lows of the spectrum due to the nature of the music: two sidelong pieces of the electronic prog, often structured with a bolero-like slow built up tension. But I caught a good bass during the pick power. When I cranked the volume, it went very high without distortion - an excellent result. In general, this is a nice sounding album, belonging to the category of "Best".

The Steven Wilson remix can add more details lost in the original mix (Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells remix comes on mind) if the Japanese don't spoil the sound with low dynamics.

Stratosfear [2CD Edition] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Tangerine Dream
    "Announced in 1976. This is a 6-piece, two-disc expanded edition published in the style of an electronic rock band.
    Disc 1 contains the full film of "Coventry Cathedral", which was broadcasted on BBC 2 in 1975, but the release of the soundtrack was postponed, and a single edit of 2 songs that were to be cut from there. Disc 2 contains the unreleased live sound source on Rainbow performances in London on October 27, 1974."

"In summer 1976 Peter Baumann recorded his first solo album Romance 76, being quite different from TD's music of that period. That year Virgin had re-released the early TD records Electronic Meditation (1970), Alpha Centauri (1971), Zeit (1972) and Atem (1973), but the most important news was the August recording of Stratosfear (note the play on words!) at Audio Studios in Berlin. Besides the well-known instrumentation of mellotron and moog synthesisers, Tangerine Dream surprised their listeners with their use of acoustic instruments like harpsichord, acoustic guitars, grand piano and mouth organ. On the other hand, Peter Baumann used a new Project electronic rhythm computer which gave the percussive sequences a very dry, precise finish. In 1995 Virgin re-released the album on CD in the so-called "Definitive Edition" series, featuring the original front cover artwork. The sound quality of this release, using the Super Bit Mapping technology, is probably the best up to now." (comment, 2014)

Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear
    (good sound-sampler)
    Tangerine Dream - Invisible Limits

Two 5* reviews of previous releases:
    "Absolutely stunning reference version of the first 4 TD classic records. Fantastic stereo scene, air, details & dynamics. Flat transfer from the original analogue master tapes seems to be the best possible analogue to DSD transfer idea."
    2015/04/07 Tomasz Poland

"New experience!
    I have bought SHM-SACDs Stratosfear and Ricochet. Excellent sound quality, great space, detail, dynamics! Absolute must have for fans. I have listened to these records for thirty years, but these editions are a completely new experience. Absolutely mind blowing. I am going to buy another two Phaedra and Rubicon
    ."
    2015/03/07 skalasz1 UK

[​IMG]
    Platinum SHM release came in the Phaedra box

[​IMG]
    And reg. SHM-CD also came in a box

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    thetman and ispace like this.
  20. toilet_doctor

P.S.
    I mistakenly said Phaedra box, but it was a Rubicon slip case box...
    Phaedra, however, was a drawer type Promo box for earlier Mini LP CD release:

[​IMG]

21. toilet_doctor

- update -

There is no info on Sony, Japan site yet, but cdjapan put a new release date:

Aug. 21, 2019

(Blu-spec CD2)
    David Gilmour S/T
    David Gilmour About Face
    David Gilmour On An Island
    David Gilmour Live In Gdansk
    (2CD)
    David Gilmour Rattle That Lock
    David Gilmour Live At Pompeii
    (2CD)

P.S.
    Please don't kill the messenger.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  22. toilet_doctor

World First MQA Mini LP Release

From independent Japanese jazz label, Solid Records, who specializes in the reissue under the license.

Aug. 07, 2019

(MQA-CD)
    Bill Evans Trio LIVE '66
    Bill Evans Trio LIVE '80
    (2CD)

"Reissue featuring 2019 remastering and MQA format. Available in 88.2kHz/24bit high resolution (if played with MQA-enabled audio players). Cardboard sleeve packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this CD." [$27.65; $36.87 for 2CD]

(translation)
    LIVE '66 (Dead leaves of Northern Europe) [MQA-CD] [Limited Edition] / Bill Evans Trio
    Evan Gomez's Evans Standard Collection just after joining Eddie Gomez, which was only shown in film work as live for Norwegian TV. Both CD and analogization topics were discussed, but 2019 latest mastering is given to commemorate Bill Evans's 90th Anniversary this year. It is remastered data that could not be recorded in the capacity (44.1kHz / 16bit) of the normal CD, but high resolution quality (88.2kHz / 24bit) should be recorded with the appearance of the latest format <MQA-CD>. Can be played (even with regular CD players). Paper jacket specification. Recording year: October 28, 1966 / Recording place: Norway, Oslo

"LIVE '80 (The Last Europe) [MQA-CD] [Limited Release] / Bill Evans Trio
    A valuable recording of the last month of the last trio of death, which was only shown in film work as a live for Norwegian TV. Both CD and analogization topics were discussed, but 2019 latest mastering is given to commemorate Bill Evans's 90th Anniversary this year. Paper jacket specification. Recording year: August 9, 1980 / Location: Norway, Molde"

Bill Evans - Days of Wine and Roses

Lucca90 and ispace like this.
  23. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Just as well they're using the UK analog tapes

Universal accused of covering up extent of 2008 fire that destroyed recordings | Daily Mail Online

The biggest disaster in the history of the music business': Universal is accused of covering up the extent of a 2008 fire that destroyed tens of thousands of iconic music recordings, including work by Buddy Holly, Elton John, Bing Crosby and Eminem

Oyster Boy and toilet_doctor like this.
  24. toilet_doctor

Thank you for the article.

I am sure that Elton Original UK Tapes exists. Many of them have been used in a recent remaster for LP release. (Perhaps some Elton's Hollywood recordings/films/photos are lost in the fire).
    Another thing is the condition of these tapes. If you remember, using the original UK tape was questionable from the start. Then Uni confirmed that they would use it. They even confirm this now, after all these delays and the final cancellation.

It is very prestigious for them to say: we will use Original UK Master, we are the keepers of the OMT, we have it on our hands, and Elton's lost tapes are just rumors.
    But I prefer them to say: we will use the UK OMT and some of its backup copies to select the best sound sources. We spent almost a year on this, and now we are ready to proceed with a new Mini LP SHM release in Japan.

25. Wow. Just wow. I’m no fan of the New York Times but occasionally they get it right. This is so disturbing on many levels. I’d encourage everyone to read it.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/magazine/universal-fire-master-recordings.html