Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

Some rated Belle Antique Titles:

Neuschwanstein Battlement – Very Good
    Barock Project Seven Seas – Best
    Atila Reviure – Best/Very Good
    Pentacle La Clef des Songes – Very Good
    CMU Space Cabaret – Best
    Shadowfax Watercourse Way – Good
    Time S/T – Very Good
    Phil Manzanera 801 – Good
    Quiet Sun Mainstream – Average
    Catapilla S/T – Very Good/Good
    Catapilla Changes – Very Good
    Claus Schulze “X” – Best
    Pulsar Halloween – Very Good

Boaz, Lucca90, art and 1 other person like this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I took delivery yesterday of one of my all time favorite albums, Manassas. It's WPCR-15257, in the mini gatefold LP with the red obi. Sounds excellent.

3. toilet_doctor

This 2013 Warner release is out of print...

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. ssmith3046

I think I have that DVD, wasn't it German TV show? I picked up the CD on ebay for a good price. I still my Classic Records 200 gram album too.

5. toilet_doctor

They say: "Stephen Stills & Manassas perform "Jet Set" live on a studio sound stage in 1972."

6. ssmith3046

I'll have to find that DVD. I remember watching them on, I think it was, Austin City Limits many years ago. I've probably played Manassas more than any other album I've ever owned since it was released.

7. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

The CCR shm CDs are being reissued in November but this time in jewel cases , these are not new remasters same as the card sleeve releases that were released with bonus tracks.

8. toilet_doctor

It was a normal procedure in the past. The same can happen to any artist, including Elton John.

It was an easy decision for them before. Now they have 3 way to go in jewel cases: SHM-CD, UHQCD and MQA UHQCD.
    I’d like them to go UHQCD, because if they do, the price may fall (over time) very close to SHM discs.
    Just like the SHM Mini LPs, they now cost as much as regular Mini LP CDs 20 years ago.

And UHQCDs are (possibly) the the best-sounding Red Book CDs to date.
    There is no Blu-specCD2 and UHQCD with the same mastering for comparison…

9. I’m wondering if anyone can answer. Some of the original SHM-SACD’s were subsequently remastered using a superior source and were, at the same time released on Platinum SHM. But I found one where the source is the same, Exile on Main Street. Anyone have an opinion on the SQ of SHM-SACD vs Platinum SHM same source as opposed to some like Dire Straits where they used one source for SHM-SACD and then a (supposed) superior source for the subsequent SHM-Platinum release.

Here is an example Exile On Main Street

The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St.
    SHM-SACD

The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St.
    SHM-Platinum

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  10. Never directly heard the same album and mastering on SHM-SACD and SHM-CD, but the only cases I know of the platinum sound being better is when they struck a new mastering for it.

I would find it hard to believe that the Platinum process would better the high-resolution SHM-SACD when using the same mastering.

11. I’m of the same mind and own just about all of the rock titles in the SHM SACD series (also the PT with newer mastering) but figured I’d ask and see if anyone owned both and had compared.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  12. toilet_doctor

Most of the Platinum Mini LP SHM-CD with a new 2013 flat transfer from OMT outperformed previous SHM-SACD releases from the different transfer (Japan dub tape) of 2010-11.
    Then they used this 2013 transfer for SHM-SACD versions (jewel cases) in 2016, which sound even better.

The undecoded MQA UHQCD version of this 2013 transfer stands between Pt SHM and SHM-SACD as the best alternative to SACD sound, reaching highs of SACD, but losing in the bottom end.
    I don’t have the right equipment for decoding MQA, but…
    The decoded MQA UHQCD should improve the bass performance to the SACD level (as people have reported) and surpass the SACD in the upper spectrum. However, again, reportedly SACDs sound more natural(?)

Universal, Japan Wishbone Ash Argus (2013 flat transfer) 2018 MQA UHQCD vs. 2013 Pt Mini LP SHM-CD version vs. 2016 SHM-SACD (all the same transfer).

Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more Post #1162

In fact, you are the one, Shvartze Shabbos, “audiophile bastard”, who can compare DECODED 2018 MQA UHQCD and 2016 SHM-SACD version and tell us all, ones and forever, what is it worth.

13. toilet_doctor

P.S.
    One more thought. Perhaps they thought: “Let’s for now make SHM-CD in jewel cases of the current version at the lower price, as we did it before”.
    Then we will see how everything turns out, and we could go MQA UHQCD with new transfer later on.

14. The Stones Exile on Main St. uses the same 2011 source as the SHM -SACD for the 2013 platinum. @PhantomStranger hit the nail on the head. Looking at the description the SHM-SACD should be closer to the source than another high resolution transfer in 2013, correct?

From Discogs:

DSD flat transferred from UK original analogue master tapes at FX Copyroom, London, 2011.
    Edited in DSD at Sunrise Studio, Tokyo, 2011.
    176.4kHz/24bit transferred from DSD at Universal Music Studios, Tokyo, 2013.
    High-Resolution cutting from 176.4kHz/24bit at Victor Creative Media, 2013.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  15. toilet_doctor

In this case, yes.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  16. All I will say is that all those analog DSD transfers struck at the FX copyroom are nigh perfect - some of the finest flat transfers ever struck in terms of revealing clarity and transparency. At least for all the ones I've heard. Any issues in them can almost certainly be attributed to the state of the masters themselves.

17. I agree. :righton:

18. :tiphat:

19. toilet_doctor

This holyday season, Universal added one more title to the 7-inch Mini LP Hybrid SACD series:

Dec. 18, 2019

The Rolling Stones Let It Bleed (2 Hybrid SACD, 50th Anniversary Ed.)

Japanese original release. 50th Anniversary edition of "Let It Bleed" release from The Rolling Stones. Main features:
    7-inch size slipcase packaging
    A bonus cover artwork replicating the design of the Japanese first pressing single "Honky Tonk Woman / You Can't Always Get What You Want"
    An OBI replicating the one with the Japanese first pressing LP
    2 Hybrid SACD with the tracks (stereo & mono) remastered by Bob Ludwig.
    Two 7-inch size cardboard sleeve.
    Comes with an 80-page booklet, autographed lithographs (printed), and a mini-poster, lyrics and a description
    .”

It's a lot of stuff for $69.47...
    [​IMG]
    (translation)
    Let It Bleed [50th Anniversary Edition] <Japan 7-inch Deluxe> [Limited Edition] / The Rolling Stones
    “Released on December 5, 1969 as the 8th original album in the United Kingdom and the 11th original album in the United States. The 50th anniversary edition of the famous album “Let It Breed”, which is counted as one of the masterpieces of Stones, is the studio work that decorates the end of the 1960s Decca / London period. 2017 “Their Satanic Majesties Request”, following the “Beggar's Banquet” in 2018, comes out in a 7-inch paper jacket version unique to Japan!
    ● 7-inch size slip case limited to full production
    ● The latest remastered sound source by Bob Ludwig <Stereo & Mono> 2 Hybrid SACDs (contained in a 7-inch custom sleeve)
    ● 2 <stereo & mono specification>
    ● "Honky Tonk Women, B/W, World of Heartless" Japan Includes a jacket that reproduces the design of the first edition of the single board. Includes an 80-page luxury booklet (Essay by David Flick / Ethan Russell. (Includes unpublished photo)
    ● Miniature version of three handwritten & replica-signed lithographs
    ● Reproduces original posters that were only on the UK board
    ● Miniature reprint of the LP OBI directly imported from the first Japanese manufacturer
    ● English liner notes, lyrics"

2019 Bob Ludwig remastering (just posted)
    You Can't Always Get What You Want (Remastered 2019)

20. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Great news as I thought Universal Japan had given up on SACD for rock music.

21. toilet_doctor

- update -

7" Mini LP Hybrid SACD series
    (Complete list with the year of remastering)

March 26, 2014
    (Sony; 2014)
    Jeff Beck Blow By Blow (4.0)

Aug. 27, 2014
    (Warner; 2013; 2.0)
    Yes S/T
    Yes Time And A Word
    Yes The Yes Album
    Yes Fragile
    Yes Close To The Edge
    Yes Yessongs (Live)
    Yes Tales From Topographic Oceans
    Yes Relayer
    Yes Going For The One
    Yes Tormato
    Yes Drama
    Yes 90125
    Yes Big Generator

July 20, 2016
    (Sony; 2016)
    Jeff Beck, Tim Bogert, Carmine Appice S/T (5.1)

July 27, 2016
    (Sony; 2016)
    Jeff Beck Group S/T (5.1)

Nov. 02, 2016
    (Sony; 2016)
    Jeff Beck Wired (5.1)

Jan. 18, 2017
    (Sony; 2016)
    Jeff Beck Rough and Ready (5.1)

Apr. 19, 2017
    (Sony; 2017)
    Santana Lotus (3 SACD; 4.0; Complete Ed.)

Sep. 27, 2017
    (Sony; 1999)
    Carol King Tapestry (5.1)

Nov. 01, 2017
    (Sony; 2011)
    Simon & Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water

Nov. 22, 2017
    (Universal 2018)
    The Rolling Stones Their Satanic Majesties Request (2 SACD; 50th Anniversary Ed.)

July 25, 2018
    (Sony; 2017)
    Air Play Romantic + 3

Aug. 8, 2018
    (Sony; 2018)
    Miles Davis Bitches Brew (2 SACD; 4.0)

Oct. 17. 2018
    (Sony; 2011)
    Billy Joel 52nd Street (40th Anniversary Ed.)

Nov. 16, 2018
    (Universal; 2018)
    The Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet (2 SACD; 50th Anniversary Ed.)

Dec. 18, 2019
    (Universal; 2019)
    The Rolling Stones Let It Bleed (2 SACD, 50th Anniversary Ed.)

22. toilet_doctor

Previous Universal The Rolling Stone Their Satanic Majesties Request 7" Mini LP 2 SACD, 50th Anniversary Special Ed. was released on Nov. 22, 2017 as a Japanese original edition.
    "Features the remastering (2017 stereo / 2016 mono) by Bob Ludwig. Packed in a special 7-inch-sized folded cover artwork, featuring 3D lenticular printing. An OBI faithfully replicates the one coming with the Japan first pressing LP. Includes two bonus cover artworks, each replicates Japan first pressing single ("She's A Rainbow," "The Lantern"). Comes with a 20-page color booklet, lyrics."

The Rolling Stone Their Satanic Majesties Request (2 SACD 50th Anniversary Special Ed.)

It looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet (2 SACD; 50th Anniversary Ed.) also was remastered by Bob Ludwig:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. toilet_doctor

This month Vivid Sound releases 3 albums by British rock band Geordie.

Nov. 27, 2019

(Blu-spec CD)
    Geordie Hope You Like It
    Geordie Don't Be Foolded By The Name
    Geordie Save The World

“Cardboard sleeve reissue from Geordie features Blu-spec CD format.” [$27.58]

A hard rock band from Newcastle, England, Geordie is mostly known for their lead vocalist, Brian Johnson, who would later join AC/DC. In 1972 and 1973, they had a few hits in the U.K., including the number six single "All Because of You" and "Can You Do It," which reached number 13. Their sound was influenced by British rock bands of the day such as Led Zepellin, as well as some glam stompers, with Johnson's distinctively abrasive singing strongly in evidence.

Geordie guitarist Vic Malcolm had previously recorded with Influence and Yellow before joining U.S.A., which became Geordie before starting to record in 1972. The band kept going until 1976, after which Brian Johnson spent a few years doing sessions until joining AC/DC following the death of their previous singer, Bon Scott. The other members did reform Geordie briefly in 1983, releasing one album, then changing their name to Powerhouse after the departure of Malcolm, and releasing one subsequent LP.” -- Richie Unterberger

(translation)
    Hope You Like It [Blu-spec CD] / Geordie
    “Geordie is a hard rock band from Newcastle where Brian Johnson, who later joins AC/DC, will serve as lead vocal. They released three albums left on EMI during the four years from 1973 to 1976. Includes bonus tracks and complete recording of songs by Brian Johnson on a high-quality CD. Geordie's first album and one of the royal roads of British hard rock. A masterpiece including the big hit song "All Because of You" No. 6 in the UK. Paper jacket specification.”

Great vocal is the strongest point of the band:

Title Track

Geordie - Can You Do It (1973)

Geordie - Oh Lord

Geordie - Ain't It Just Like A Woman

Geordie - Keep On Rockin'

Don't Be Foolded by the Name [Blu-spec CD] Geordie
    ”This is a second album released in 1974. Brian Johnson's wild shout vocals, which gained worldwide success and fame in later AC/DC subscriptions, have already been completed in this work. One piece that makes you feel the good tradition of British hard rock. Paper jacket specification.”

I'm not sure about their first album, but the second “Don't Be Fooled By The Name” belongs to every Classic Rock collection - a solid album.

Geordie - Goin' Down

Whoever didn’t cover these 200-year-old traditional songs, but this is one of the best versions:
    Geordie - House of the Rising Sun

Geordie mercenary man

This must be one of my fave Geordie songs - Brain Johnson really giving it all here!
    Agree, it can be heard a thousand times
    (comments)
    This is love from the first note. I got acquainted with this song while still a 3rd grader, a girl with pigtails in a short chintz dress. Once with a friend, after listening to all the records available at home, and wanting something foreign, we went to the recording salon. A hippy-looking guy gave us to listen a short piece of this composition. We have never experienced such delight in our life. Yes, Yes!!! Will take it!!! - we chanted in chorus. Having received the cherished, the happy and joyful rushed home. Such, my love for rock began.” – Galina Nicheporuk (translation)

(sorry for the imagies – I took it for a better sound not a video).
    Geordie / Ten Feet Tall

Geordie - Little Boy

Geordie - Look At Me (with lyrics)

Save the World [Blu-spec CD] / Geordie
    After a very strong 2nd album, the third was shockingly weak - nothing to talk about.

Vivid doesn’t say about remastering. All 3 albums were remastered in 2016 by 7T’s/Cherry Red Records for 5CD box set. I’m sure this is the same mastering.

(from the review on a box set)
    “…Keep On Rockin’
    2016's "The Albums" on Cherry Red's '7T's' label offshoot offers you five CDs in card repro sleeves housed in a natty clam-shell Mini Box Set with a beautifully annotated 16-page booklet. You get Geordie's three British studio albums on EMI from March 1973 ("Hope You Like It"), April 1974 ("Hope You Like It") and August 1976 ("Save The World" with four bonus tracks), an after-the-band-had-split compilation LP called "No Good Woman" issued by EMI Sweden in 1978 with outtakes, re-recordings and stragglers and finally a fifth disc called "Brian Johnson and Geordie Revisited" of more re-records only this time done in 1980.

JAMES BRAGG did the mastering (no sources or venue given) and the audio rocks on all of them. I’m fairly sure (even though it doesn’t say so) that the first three studio albums are the 7T’s CD reissues done by TIM TURAN at Turan Mastering in 2007 and 2008 - nice and punchy without being over trebled.

For me the second album "Don't Be Fooled By The Name" is the best of the bunch - a definite Nazareth "Razamanaz" vibe creeping into the St. James Infirmary of "Goin' Down" and "Ten Feet Tall" (better production values too) while there's a great Juicy Lucy guitar boogie to "So What". The band suddenly sound ‘huge’ on "Mercenary Man"…

In truth there's a lot of very dated clack on album numbers 3 and 4 with number 5 being all but unlistenable in places - too much of it doing a massive disservice to the first two flushes of Geordie vinyl magic from 1973 and 1974. But there's also no doubt that 7T's and Cherry Red are to be praised for making this hard to find music available again to fans and newcomers alike - and in such a top-class presentation too...” – Mark Berry (April 24, 2017)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of live videos:

Kids see what your grandpa loves…” (comment)
    Geordie - Goodbye Love 1975 (High Quality)

Very cool! 70’s, what an era in music...
    Any group - talents, what not a thing - a masterpiece! This is just unbelievable!
    ” (comment)
    GEORDIE Little Boy Don`t Be Fooled By The Name 1974

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  24. PhantomStranger, Boaz, jhm and 2 others like this.
  25. Thank you Doctor! I skipped the Blu-spec discs but for 33 bucks I bought the five disc clam box from Amazon U.K.. My first foray into Geordie. It has great reviews. Can’t wait.