Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Looking at the George Harrison Apple Years box reminds me once again how much we need a corresponding Ringo Starr The Apple Years box. Ringo commented recently that this was 'under consideration'. Let's hope it happens, and sooner rather than later.

2. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

Thank you for a nice post. We will see how they're going to handle the All Things packaging very soon.

However, I have to point out something, which was hidden, misleading or overlooked:

1. Uni Japan said very clearly that 2014 SHM-CD was made according Digipak Specification, not Mini LP specification you mention. DU dealers would be delighted to list them as Mini LP SHM-CD on eBay to attract more buyers, but they rather list them as Digi Sleeve or simply SHM-CDs.

2. But this is not the weakest point of 2014 release, since these tri-fold digipaks are fine (not to mention gorgeous hardcover Digibook with DVD). The weakest point of 2014 GH SHM-CD release is its Remastering:

"Reissue from George Harrison features SHM-CD format and remastering (upgraded version of 2001 remastering). Comes with a 20-page booklet with lyrics. Digipak. This series features the following albums "Wonderwall Music," "Electronic Sound," "All Things Must Pass," "Living In The Material World," "Dark Horse," and "Extra Texture." Includes Japan only bonus track(s)".

(translation)
    "ALL THINGS MAST PASS [SHM-CD] / George Harrison
    A solo third album that is described as the best masterpiece of George announced in 1970, including the hit single "My Sweet Lord".
    ● SHM-CD Specification
    ● 20-page booklet included
    ● English booklet translation, Japanese commentary, lyrics / bilingual
    ● Upgraded version of remaster released in 2001
    ● Digipack Specification

● Only Japanese version bonus track included"

What does it mean "Upgraded version of remaster released in 2001"? It means they didn't touch Master Tape, but upgraded Digital Files upon newest upsampling technology unavailable before. As I compared such a remastering with non-remaster, I can say: an improvement is very subtle. This is why they remastered it again in 2 years.

Thank you for raising this matter. It's a very important to compare old and new releases to understand what we are paying for. On a surface it looks like "I already have just 2 years old remaster, why should I buy it again?" Digital mastering from Original Master Tape plus Mini LP presentation - this is what I had hoped and it's finally happened.

Only one concern still bothers me: Do they have enough time to do good job on the covers? Look how good Uni's releases are in those "premium" covers done by the plan... This is something urgent... but I count on a better.

2014 GEORGE HARRISON All Things Must Pass Bonus Track JAPAN DIGI SLEEVE 2 SHM CD [not Mini LP]
    [​IMG]

3. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  4. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

When I read "New George Harrison" my heart skipped a beat.

Simon A, mrjinks, vinnie and 2 others like this.
  5. Ok...so how are these going to be different than the previous ones? I suspect these are just straight ahead reissues. I doubt these will have any additional tracks, etc. unless they decide to throw additional demos on them. It would be nice to have a true three CD set with all of them gathered together.

6. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

I think we are ALL waiting on a "new" album (cough cough Early Take Volume 2 cough cough)

Haristar likes this.
  7. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

If I am correct in that these are the same mini lps being sold by CDJapan, the only real difference will be that they use the newest remasters

8. To put a Beatlesque spin on it, I'd also like "Something New" for that price! I thought that the remasters for ATMP on CD were pretty good although the download is the best representation of the album I've heard and the earlier Japanese pressings from 1988 are the best in physical digital format. The analog LP reissue I haven't heard because I figured at some point all thing must pass without collecting $200 as I can't keep buying the same album again (and again).

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And no bonus tracks (??), which the previous set of CDs from 2014 included.

mrjinks, raq0915 and wayneklein like this.
  10. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

And did you see the price? Im definitely skipping this. This is where I draw the line

wayneklein likes this.
  11. The Japanese always seem to have room for these reissues regardless of quality. Unlike the rest of us which is probably why it won't be reissued here.

12. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

That would be nice. Probably won't happen though.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ditto! Oh well... Maybe next year. :)

Haristar likes this.
  14. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

What down load are you referring to

15. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Probably he refers to the HDTracks Hi-Res release from 2010 with no bonus tracks, which is allegedly a flat (or nearly-flat) transfer from the mastertapes and sounds very different from the 2014 HDTracks remaster which includes the bonus tracks.

wayneklein likes this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

IIRC This wasn't available from HDTracks at all - it was on the George Harrison website.

longdist01 and wayneklein like this.
  17. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Yes you're right, I stand corrected. That version, available on the official George Harrison website in 2010, is considered by most the best digital representation of the album.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    supermd, wayneklein and mmars982 like this.
  18. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

For $54.00 ??

19. The very first one in hi def that was from a web page specifically for ATMP. Must be from seven years ago?

20. Well I would want to pay less at that price it shoul mimic the original packaging as well.

21. toilet_doctor

We have to avoid such a price buying All Things not from amazon. com for $60, but from amazon.co.jp or cdjapan for $35-36 bucks. Reg. 1 disc albums currently - $23.46
    If the packaging is a concerning point, I will report as soon I get it.
    So far, release was postponed:

Update:

March 1, 2017

George Harrison Wonderwall Music
    George Harrison Electronic Sound
    George Harrison All Things Must Pass
    (2CD)
    George Harrison Living In The Material World
    George Harrison Dark Horse
    George Harrison Extra Texture
    George Harrison 33 1/3
    George Harrison George Harrison
    George Harrison Somewhere In England
    George Harrison Gone Troppo
    George Harrison Cloud Nine
    George Harrison Live In Japan (2CD)
    George Harrison Brainwashed

22. toilet_doctor

Independent label Belle Antique

"Regarding the Belle label. I can confer that they do very nice papersleeve editions. They recently reissued Brufords early albums on SHM and they sound and look terrific. The quality is quite outstanding!"-- barry60 (forum member)

There are many independent labels in Japan who collaborate with DU. Belle Antique (who being around about 10 years) is one of them.

(from the Platinum SHM-CD launched! thread)
    "Independent Japanese label Belle Antique or simply Belle is division of big Japanese publishing company Marquee. They're releasing old stuff (mostly Prog) under the license in SHM Mini LP format. Obviously, it's a labor of love first of all because those very often obscure and neglected titles do not generate big sales numbers. (Dozens and dozens titles of the bands we never heard about and also more famous ones. Just to name a few, I bought: Ange, Mona Lisa, Shylock, Pentacle, Pollen, Arachnoid, Morse Cod, Bacamarte, Devil Doll, Dice, Ivory, Morgan, Comus, Neuschwanstein, Flyte, Asia Minor, Cathedral, Babylon and endless list of Italian bands, which they separate in the Italian Rock series with a similar OBI design that from the spine all of them are looking as one big series).
    They do very good remastering job from OMT or they use latest Remaster.

They are not cheap, from 2800 to 3300 Yen, but worthy. They do a really good job. Two manufacturers involve in the printing (one does only covers, another - inner stuff). [CD pressing they do now at JVC division with a small production line].

Limited Editions lead to attention to detail and better print quality of both the cover and the disc as well. Ones Japanese hooked you up, you cannot resist any more. Especially, when it comes to your favorites. It is an addiction. But it's addiction to the Beauty.

Besides, Belle does new music releases as well, for Japanese market. Such recently I added to Belle's release of UK band Pendragon (in very nice The Masquerade Overture Promo box) Pendragon's new 2014 album Men Who Climb Mountains in Mini LP 2 SHM-CD." (Jan. 2015)

Belle's new releases:

Feb. 3, 2017

Colosseum II Strange New Fresh (2 SHM-CD)
    Dick Heckstall-Smith A Story Ended
    Opus Avantra Introspezione
    Opus Avantra Lord Cromwell Plays Suite For Seven Vices

Feb. 24, 2017

Shelagh McDonald S/T
    Shelagh McDonald Stargazer
    Steeleye Span Please To See The King
    Steeleye Span Ten Man Mop, or Mr. Reservoir Butler Rides

23. toilet_doctor

Colosseum II Strange New Fresh (2 SHM-CD)

[​IMG]

(translation)
    "Strange New Fresh [SHM-CD] / Coliseum II
    [Belle Antique Paper Jacket Series] After dissolution of Tempest, John Heisman (Ds) formed with Gary Moore (g), Don Eile (key), Neil Murray (b), Mike Starr (vo) Super Jazz Rock Unit, Colosseum II 's 1976 debut.
    A masterpiece that can listen to the highest standard performance of British jazz rock.
    Release of the album and recording of 75 to 76 years of 10 tracks on Disc 2!
    Paper Jacket and SHM - CD specification.
    Definitive content of the latest remaster, with lyrics (bilingual) and commentary."

Review:
    "COLOSSEUM was one of the seminal progressive bands that emerged in the late Sixties, they disbanded in '71. A few years later drummer and prime mover Jon Hiseman recruited keyboard player Don Airey (nowadays DEEP PURPLE), vocalist Mike Starrs, guitar player Gary Moore (ex-THIN LIZZY) and bass-player John Mole in order to form COLOSSEUM II. In '76 their first LP titled "Strange New Flesh" came out..."

"4* The extra tracks on this reissue really make a difference because their simply great , especially the early raw bombastic version of "Interplanetary Slut" which was a track off the second album Electric Savage . The Electric Savage version is slicker and faster but Jon Hiseman's drumming is so crazy on the raw early version. It a feast for fusion ears. Strange New Flesh has always been underated even though it was their most popular album . In terms of songs on the album "Dark Side Of The Moog" is the adventurous instrumental opener and most enjoyable ."Down To You" is a relaxing though over-the-top cover of a Joni Mitchell song."Gemini and Leo" is the funky track. "Secret Places" is the progressive hard rock number with a whole a lot of nice drumming going on. "On Second Thoughts" is filled with R&B ,jazz, and rock influence. Winds is the strongest track as a statement. A statement of how far can we take this music till our heads explode. Yeah nice reissue with a lot of extra stuff."
    (progarchives)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  24. toilet_doctor

Dick Heckstall-Smith A Story Ended

[​IMG]

(translation)
    "A Story Ended [SHM-CD] Dick Heckstall-Smith
    [Belle Antique Paper Jacket Series] This is the first leader album released in 1972, as a member of Colosseum, Dick Heckstall-Smith, a wind instrument player, separated as a member of Colosseum. In addition to the members of the Colosseum of the time, a high-level jazz rock album created with luxurious guests such as Graham Bond, Gordon Beck, Chris Speding and others. Not only the Colosseum but also widely used as a famous jazz rock 's name at the time of reevaluation! Paper Jacket, SHM - CD, definitive content of the latest remaster! Lyrics · bilingual · commentary included.
    5 bonus tracks included"

Review:
    "The marriage between jazz and rock is one that has enthralled me for ages. Obviously they stem from the same tree, which is blues, but the improvisational nature of jazz in combination with the power of rock music makes for a very exciting soundscape. So, having said that I would like to say that Dick Heckstall-Smith's album of 1972 is such a pleasant surprise. I like Colosseum and think they were great band in their own right. The progressive rock of theirs, combining jazz and blues into a powerful concoction, is still a treat to listen to. Needless to say, Dick's album holds similarities to his old band. The difference, I think, is that his solo album is far better than any of those he made with Colosseum. The potent mix of jazzy grooves, bluesy licks and hard rock leanings is absolutely magnificent.

The opening track 'Future song' is great with its repetitive riff and hard, driving sound. The following 'Crabs' is irresistible. It holds so many moods and swings to and fro in a seamless manner. Great vocals too. 'Moses in the Bullrushourses' is another very good track, owing just as much to jazz, blues and hard rock. Great groove! Graham Bond may have a limited vocal range but delivers a hoarse and enjoyable performance. His organ is to the fore and provides so much joy, since I am a fanatic when it comes to the Hammond organ. No other instrument is able to send shivers down my spine like the organ.

'What the morning was after' is a jazzy, quite calm piece offering some relief from the previous track. Then it comes, the main center piece: 'The pirate's dream'. This is really a bluesy, jazzy epic that transforms into a majestic chaos for an ending. Chris Farlowe do have a magnificent pair of lungs. This track is really, really good. The album ends with the bluesy 'Same old thing'. A great ending to a great album.

The overall tone of this album is warmth. It is so sincere and passionate throughout that I am gobsmacked. Everything, almost, sits perfectly. And the title, 'Dust in the air suspended marks the place where a story ended', is irresistible. While the saga or story of Colosseum was ground to, at least, a temporary halt the musical direction of refining and exploring the possibilities of jazz-rock continued in the grandest of fashion.

I own the Esoteric Recordings edition of the album and it sports some really good bonus tracks. Quite often bonus tracks can be so-and-so, really not adding anything to the overall view of a band, but in this case the opposite applies. The bonus tracks are amazing and really enjoyable. They do complete the picture of a short lived but tremendous band. The bonus tracks are comprised of three live recordings of 'Moses...', 'The pirate's dream' and 'No amount of loving'. The potency of this band in a live setting is devastating. There is a great fuzz bass-solo in 'Moses...', by the way. To top things off there are two tracks from the abandoned project Manchild. Also great songs.

When all is said and done there is only one thing to add. This is a fantastic jazz-rock album and while it is of its time the warmth, sincerity and passion is timeless. It has dated well, I think, and is surely a valid listen if you're into jazz-rock and that side of progressive rock. Stunning album."

25. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

And to think that some people are getting annoyed about being charged a mere hundred and something dollars for some Paul McCartney downloads with a paltry boxed set attached.
    I expect SHM-Cassettes of those downloads (superior casing) will follow.