Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

I have Paul McCartney empty Japan Mini LP Promo boxes "attached" to my shelf and waiting for a new and remastered Mini LP releases.

And this is a thread all about...

Klassik likes this.
  2. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

From the CDJapan website description of All Things Must Pass:

"The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design, which partially replicates its EU first pressing edition. Also partially replicates the obi included with the first pressing Japanese LP design."

What do they mean by partially?

3. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

All I can say about mini-LPs is that I'd rather have minidiscs. Now that's some proper bo superior plastic casing.
    Also, it's always been quite magical to me that my mum once went to Liverpool and brought back little mini-LP sleeves that were being sold by a Beatles souvenir shop there.
    I kept them all and was completely jaw-dropped when EMI much later issued mini-cds that fitted them!

So there you have it. Empty mini-LP sleeves. The way of the future.

4. toilet_doctor

OBI "protects" the cover to be faithfully replicated, taking all new info (bar-code, release date, price, catalog No. SHM logo and on...). So old first pressing Japan OBI cannot be replicated 1:1, but partially combining old design with new info, unless they do sometimes providing two OBI: completely new design and old replica of the first Japan press.

I have no idea what "EU first pressing edition" they mean; Apple released it in France and Germany in the same 1970. Parlophone did it too, using US made box thinner than UK one. They may use something from one of those for inner packaging. But I've never met such a thing before - it maybe misprint or mistake - they didn't mention about it in Japanese description.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Mr. H likes this.
  5. Sidewinder43

I just want to know if it will be housed in a mini box rather than a digipak, as done in 2014. If it's a box, I'm buying, but I already have the 2014 edition.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  6. toilet_doctor

It didn't happen before for last 17 years I'm collecting them, why I should be now. I have no doubts.

So I am offering a very simple bet:
    If All Thing will come in the same packaging like 2014 release, I will reimburse you cost of the All Things, but you have to mail them to me.
    If All Things will come in a box with 2 or 3 Mini LP inside, you will put Review here, comparing 2017 and 2014 releases.

Deal?

7. Sidewinder43

As soon as I can confirm it's a box, I will buy it. I will do a comparison per your request. Do you want a comparison of SQ, packaging, or both?

8. toilet_doctor

Please do both or whatever you are comfortable with.
    I don't have 2014 release to compare and without comparison of SQ it's less objective.

9. Sidewinder43

Understood. I'll post if/when I get the 2016 set. Meanwhile, I'll spin the 2014 this week to refresh my memory.

10. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Regarding the George Harrison cds am i right to say that there is no new remastering on these cds . CD JAPAN say the apple years cds are 2014 remasters and the dark horse years 2004.Also being mini lp replicas you lose the bonus tracks .One gain apart from being mini lp sleeves is the dark horse years cds gain shm .

11. toilet_doctor

4 Prog-Folk albums from Belle:

Shelagh McDonald S/T
    Shelagh McDonald Stargazer

(translation)
    Shelagh Mcdonald [SHM-CD] / Shelagh Mcdonald
    Skillful singing skills and melancholy curiosity, melancholic vocals. If it is considered to be a masterpiece equivalent to Sandy Denny, this is the debut work of the British female vocalist who disappeared leaving two albums, which was announced in 1970. Paper jacket, SHM-CD, 4 bonus tracks included, latest version of the definitive content!

Stargazer [SHM-CD] / Shelagh McDonald
    This is the second album of the British female vocalist who disappeared leaving two albums, which was released in 1971. Paper jacket, SHM-CD, 5 bonus tracks included, final decision of the latest remaster!

First I heard Shelagh Mcdonald, I was stunned by the beauty of her voice, which I found richer and more penetrating than famous Sandy Denney's one.
    After second album, she escaped without trace and showed up with new materials... in 30 years to disappear again - such a mysterious story.

Mirage

Peacock Lady
    Shelagh McDonald - Peacock Lady
    Waiting for the Wind to Rise
    Shelagh McDonald - Waiting for the Wind to Rise
    Let no Man Steal Your Thyme
    Shelagh McDonald - Let No Man Steal Your Thyme

Dowie Dens of Yarrow
    'Dowie Dens of Yarrow' ~ Shelagh McDonald {version one}
    Road to Paradise
    Shelagh McDonald - Road To Paradise
    Baby Go Slow
    Shelagh McDonald - Baby Go Slow
    City's Cry
    Shelagh McDonald - City's Cry
    Canadian Man
    Shelagh McDonald - Canadian Man

Steeleye Span Please To See The King
    Steeleye Span Ten Man Mop, or Mr. Reservoir Butler Rides

Please To See The King [SHM-CD] / Steeleye Span
    Ashley Hutchings, who withdrew from the Fairport Convention, formed a Steeleye Span to pursue further Trad. It is one of their best works shining in history as a famous band of Electric Trad, second released in 1971. Marty Kathy and Peter Knight joined in to create a solid world. Paper jacket, SHM-CD, the latest remaster's definitive content!

Steeleye Span_ Please to see the king 1971 (full album)

Ten Man Mop, or Mr. Reservoir Butler Rides [SHM-CD] / Steeleye Span
    A third album released in 1971 when Ashley Hutchins, who withdrew from the Fairport Convention, became the last album that Ashleigh Hutchins had enrolled, Steeleye Span formed to pursue further Trad. Elegance, the richness of Britain 's distinctive dignity added to the richness boasts a perfection degree that does not allow other to follow - up. Paper jacket, SHM-CD, 4 bonus tracks included, final decision of the latest remaster!

Steeleye Span - Ten Man Mop Or Mr.Reservoir Butler Rides Again

12. toilet_doctor

Universal continues with 11 albums of Steve Miller Band and 2017 Remaster ($23.46)

Apr. 26, 2017

Steve Miller Band Rock Love
    Steve Miller Band Recall The Beginning...
    Steve Miller Band A Journey From Eden
    Steve Miller Band The Joker
    Steve Miller Band Fly Like An Eagle
    Steve Miller Band Book Of Dreams
    Steve Miller Band Circle Of Love
    Steve Miller Band Abracadabra
    Steve Miller Band Live!
    Steve Miller Band Italian X Rays
    Steve Miller Band Living In The 20th Century

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Steve Miller Band features SHM-CD format and 2017 remastering (subject to change). Comes with an obi faithfully replicating the one included with its Japanese first pressing LP edition (subject to change). The mini LP faithfully replicates its US first pressing LP design (gatefold). Comes with lyrics and a description. World's first mini LP reissue. This series features the following titles "Rock Love," "Recall The Beginning... A Journey From Eden," "The Joker," "Fly Like An Eagle," "Book Of Dreams," "Circle Of Love," "Abracadabra," "Steve Miller Band Live!," "Italian X Rays," and "Living In The 20th Century."

(translation)
    Rock Love [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Steve Miller Band
    [Steve Miller Band Paper Jacket / SHM-CD Series] This is the 6th total recorded by trio formation. It is an irregular album consisting of three songs live side recorded in Hollywood's Pirates World and Pasadena's Civic Auditorium, and four songs studio side, but a skillful blues · rock who rocked the West Coast. A work that showed the height of the skill as a band to the world. "Love shock" exceeding 10 minutes is a masterpiece. The title song was also single-cut. It ranked 82nd in the national chart. (Announced in 1971)

Japan's first CD made / first world paper jacketed
    ● Paper jacket reproducing miniatures in the first press LP of the United States
    ● Reprinting of the first Japan LP band {OBI] in miniatures
    ● Schedule of remaster sound in 2017 ● Commentary / lyrics

Journey from Eden [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Steve Miller Band
    [Steve Miller Band Paper Jacket / SHM-CD Series] Old friend Ben Sidran produces, and the engineer is Botnic system the seventh work produced as a blues. Various guests including Jim Keltner and Jessie Ed Davies participate in addition to the members. The strings arrangement arranged by Nick Decaro glows as they develop their blues rock. At the time of the launch, it ranked 109th in the U.S., which was not commercially viable, but now it should be reevaluated. (Announced in 1972)

Joker [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Steve Miller Band
    [Steve Miller Band Paper Jacket / SHM-CD Series] The eighth work produced by Miller's traffic accident. Musicality that showed not only blues, but also a popular compromise was accepted by the public, and it became a big hit album that recorded the second chart on the national chart. The title song was single-cut and won first prize in the US. "Your Cash · Is not · Nothing · But Trash" also got a smash hit with 51th place. Also included are two songs, "Cam On On My Kitchen" and "Evil". (Announced in 1973)
    ● Double-edged paper jacket reproducing miniatures in the first press LP of the United States

Fly Like An Eagle [SHM-CD] [Fully Manufactured Limited Edition] / Steve Miller Band
    [Steve Miller Band Paper Jacket / SHM-CD Series] Total nine works featuring hit songs such as "Rockin Me" that ranked first in the national chart and "Fly · Like · Eagle" eye. He is third in the nation as an album. In the UK also ranked first in the ranking in the highest ranking 11th place to record, also became a trigger for the band to be acknowledged globally. In addition to the three members, James Cotton of Harpist and John McPhee of Doobie Brothers also participate as a guest. (Announced in 1976)

Book Of Dreams [SHM-CD] [Fully Manufactured Limited Edition] / Steve Miller Band
    [Steve Miller Band Paper Jacket / SHM-CD Series] This is the 10th total work that produced "Hit Air Liner" which recorded 8th place in the United States and 3 hits and singles. The work produced with a large number of guests in a band composed of six people feels that the quality of the songs is so high that none of the recorded songs can be said to be masterpieces, the band's creativity peaked. It ranked second in the nation, 12th in Britain and 1st in Canadian charts, and it won the top ten in 4 countries, and this was also a worldwide hit album. (Released in 1977)

Circle of Love [SHM-CD] [Complete production limited edition] / Steve Miller Band
    [Steve Miller Band Paper Jacket / SHM-CD Series] Total eleventh work decorating the dawn of the 1980s, announced across the best board "Greatest Hits 1974-78". A fresh sound approach that develops while incorporating elements like AOR is a comfortable work. In analog LP, "Macho City" using all of the B side is a piece of music that seems to have anticipated the lap whose synthesizer is a big success. "Heart is burning" which was also released as a single was recorded 24th in the United States. Ranked in 26th in the US. (Announced in 1981)

Abracadabra [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Steve Miller Band
    [Steve Miller Band Paper Jacket / SHM-CD Series] The title song that was written inspired by the event when he was co-starring with Diana Ross in the 1960's on a TV program ranked first in the US / second largest in Britain hit. Their 12th total worked in 3rd place in the U.S. / 10th place in the UK as well as becoming their first masterpiece in the 1980s including becoming No. 1 in the German charts. The danceable, mellow, pop and catchy sounds are masterpieces that are respected not only in rock and fans but also in clubs and scenes. (Released in 1982)

Live! [SHM-CD] [Limited Release Edition] / Steve Miller Band
    [Steve Miller Band Paper Jacket / SHM-CD Series] A live album containing a concert's pattern at Pine Knob Amphitheater in Clarkston, Michigan on September 25, 1982. Full of hit songs such as "Rockin Me" "America Taiyo!" "Fly Like An Eagle" "Joker" "Abrahadabula". On the other hand, it is also a work that should be said as a culmination of their own roots, such as showing off his masterpiece "Mercury Blues" by 1948, which is a list of performances by incandescence. (Announced in 1983)

Italian X Rays [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Steve Miller Band
    [Steve Miller Band Paper Jacket / SHM-CD Series] Total including including "Fu Do You Love" and "Out of the Night" co-worked with Tim Davis, who was the band's early drummer Work. Contents in which electro / pop songs by digital recording and the instruments played by synthesizers interlaced. Single shot "Shangri-La" hits smash hit 57th in the United States. In the album chart, it is a work that I cannot miss listening as a challenging work that launched a new axis while 106th place. (Announced in 1984)

Living In The 20th Century [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Steve Miller Band
    [Steve Miller Band Paper Jacket / SHM-CD Series] This is the 14th work that commemorated the band's 20th anniversary and was the last work of Capitol in the name of Steve Miller band. An album in which original songs are arranged in the first half, covers Willy Dixon and Jimmy Reed covers in the second half, and an arsy blues feeling coexisting back to the pop side and origin. "The world of love and desire" was released as a single and recorded 97th place in the United States. The album ranked in 65th place. (Released in 1986)

Please check them out:

Steve Miller Band Rock Love

Steve Miller Band Recall The Beginning... A Journey From Eden
    High On You Mama- Steve Miller Band

Steve Miller Band The Joker
    STEVE MILLER BAND - THE JOKER - LIVE on JOOLS HOLLAND 2010 HQ video

Steve Miller Band Fly Like An Eagle
    Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle - 02 - Fly Like An Eagle

Steve Miller Band Book Of Dreams
    Threshold- Steve Miller Band

Steve Miller Band Circle Of Love
    Heart Like A Wheel- Steve Miller Band

Steve Miller Band Live!
    Live, Steve Miller Band

Steve Miller Band Italian X Rays
    Radio 1- Steve Miller Band

Steve Miller Band Living In The 20th Century
    Nobody But You Baby- Steve Miller Band

supermd likes this.
  13. toilet_doctor

Mini LP CD release of indie rock The Microphones.

March 15, 2017

The Microphones The Glow Part 2

(translation)
    Glow Part 2 / The Microphones
    "15 anniversary commemorative release. Pitchfork's 2001 album of the year earned the Phil Ervulum (now Mount Iari) a monumental tower, finally re-CDed in Japan. A type single paper jacket specification. Self liner, with lirycs."

(pro review)
    "The Microphones are a one-man band in which Phil Elvrum (Old Time Relijun) makes soft, psychedelic nylon-stringed guitar jangle sound both humble and heroic. While operating in an all-analog "lo-fi" mode, in the vein of Elephant 6 collective bands such as Olivia Tremor Control. The Glow, Pt. 2, his fifth release, is his most cohesive yet. All the musical elements gel with concept (in this case, fire) and breathe with the sort of spooky, misty clarity that arguably can only be captured in an intimate, non-digital production. The solitary quality of the Microphones could be compared to that of Bright Eyes, Syd Barrett and Graeme Jefferies on Messages for the Cakekitchen. On the soothing opener, "I Want Wind to Blow," Elvrum's plaintive whisper-singing might lull you into a dream--but the bloodcurdling commando-style distortion of the second and title track will shake your senses. The Glow, Pt. 2 is like a giant ocean liner on which the songs and all their disparate elements--stark solace with violent, beautiful, otherworldly weirdness lurking beneath--control the ebb and flow of your emotional response." -- Cyndi Elliott

What we need to know:
    This is not Japanese pressing, but rather import disc packaged into the Japan Mini LP cover.
    What good about, it costs $19.31, while 2008 release is $54.99 at amazon.

The album has its moments and more than 200,000 views on youtube:

One guy offers quiet insightful youtube review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfHWgzkRtUs

14. toilet_doctor

Blast from the past from Vivid Sound.

Vivid Sound Corporation is big independent Japanese label, who reissues dozens old and new titles (mostly Rock) every month sometimes with new Japanese remaster. (I bought recently 5 later Yes albums with new remaster in Mini LP SHM-CD.

In January Vivid Sound offered digital version of 6 very rare Rock albums in Mini LP CD for the first time in one "Big Pink" series ( $23.80). This time Vivid collaborated with South Korean Label BigPink, who just released all these rarities. (South Korean labels do remaster and release Mini LP in very limited quantity). It's Korean-made CDs with Japanese OBI. So, it maybe (or not) makes sense to buy Korean versions directly from Korean retailers on eBay.

Jan. 31, 2017

Graham Bell S/T
    Five Man Electrical Band Good-byes and Butterflies
    Shape of the Rain Riley, Riley, Wood and Wagget
    Longbranch / Pennywhistle
    The Fraternity Of Man S/T
    High Mountain Canyon

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  15. toilet_doctor

Graham Bell S/T

(translation)
    Graham Bell [Limited Release] / Graham Bell
    "Former Skip Bifferty Graham Bell announced first solo album through Bell + Ark! CD imported board with a band. Production limited paper jacket specification (1972 work)."

(comment)
    "Graham Bell (UK) was a member of two bands the "Skip Bifferty" and "Brian Davison Every Which Way", former member of Bell + Arc. The album featuring famous sax man Mel Collins (former member of 'Kokomo' and 'Tim Hinkley' (former member of Jody Grind)."

Graham Bell - After Midnight
    Graham Bell - Too Many People
    Graham Bell - Down In the City
    Graham Bell - Watch the River Flow

Japanese version:

[​IMG]

Korean version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. toilet_doctor

Five Man Electrical Band Good-byes and Butterflies

(translation)
    Goodbyes and Butterflies [Limited Release] / Five Man Electrical Band
    "Fat boy · slim sampling · It also became a story that "Signs" recorded Five Man Electrical band's second record second album. Import belt with a band. Production limited paper jacket specification (1970 works)."

"The Five Man Electrical Band (originally known as The Staccatos from 1963–68) is a Canadian rock band from Ottawa. They had many hits in Canada, including the top 10 entries "Half Past Midnight" (1967) (as The Staccatos), "Absolutely Right" (1971) and "I'm a Stranger Here" (1972). Internationally, they are best known for their 1971 hit single "Sings".

Japan Mini LP CD
    [​IMG]

Korean version:
    [​IMG]

17. toilet_doctor

Shape of the Rain Riley, Riley, Wood and Wagget

(translation)
    Riley, Riley, Wood and Wagget [Limited Edition] / Shape of the Rain
    "British rock name board, rare neon board of shape of the rain finally made CD!! Import belt with a band. Production limited paper jacket specification (1971 work)."

"Released on the RCA subsidiary neon in 1971, the riley, wood & waggett album by UK outfit shape of the rain is a wonderful example of American west coast meets British sych/progressive to create a sound and feel all of its own. It's subtle rhythms, 12 string & slide guitars plus excellent harmonies, make it one of the most enduring albums of its time. No doubt about it' it's a charming album! Despite not achieving mainstream success at the time, the band are now held in high regard by critics and collectors alike, and this reissue is timely."

Japan Mini LP CD
    [​IMG]

Korean version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. toilet_doctor

Longbranch / Pennywhistle

(translation)
    Longbranch / Pennywhistle [Limited Edition] / Longbranch / Pennywhistle
    "Along with Shiloh with Don Henry enrolled, the most important work related to Tequila Circuit / Eagles "Longbranch / Pennywhistle" (Glenn Fry & J. D. Sauser) finally got CD in the paper jacket!! Production limited paper jacket specification. Participating musicians: John David Souther, Glenn Frey, James Burton, Ry Cooder, Buddy Emmons, Larry Knechtel, Jim Gordon, Doug Kershaw, Joe Osborne (1969 works)."
    If Eagle is your thing:

Japan mini LP CD
    [​IMG]

19. toilet_doctor

The Fraternity Of Man S/T

(translation)
    The Fraternity Of Man [Limited Release] / The Fraternity Of Man
    "A debut album by LA's five-person Fraternity of Man, also known for the insertion song "Do not Bogart Me" of the movie "Easy Rider". Import belt with a band. Production limited paper jacket specification (1968 works)."

(comment)
    "The Fraternity Of Man issued their first, self-titled LP with a supporting single ('Don't Bogart Me' b/w 'Wispy Paisley Skies') in 1968. The record was produced by the legendary Tom Wilson (Bob Dylan, Velvet Underground, etc.) and as a side note, Kim Fowley also made a guest appearance. Both songs on the 45 are excellent with the A-side being a strung-out country-western type ditty, openly touting the use of marijuana. Because of the song's lyrical content, it didn't get any airplay at the time, but about a year later was spotlighted in the hit film 'Easy Rider' and its huge selling soundtrack. This break gave the band some much needed national attention and the opportunity to record a follow up LP on Dot Records".

Japan Mini LP CD
    [​IMG]

Korean version:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. toilet_doctor

High Mountain Canyon

(translation)
    Canyon [Limited Release] / High Mountain
    "High mountain's swamp-rock masterpiece that Jerry Williams was also known for providing music to Eric Clapton and others! Import board with a band with a band. Production limited paper jacket specification. (1970 works)".

(comment)
    "High Mountain Hoedown was Jerry Williams' first band formed late 60's and released two albums in 1970 sequently. "Canyon" is the first album which has been demanded by swamp & country rock fans over decades."

Japan Mini LP CD
    [​IMG]

Korean version:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boaz likes this.
  21. toilet_doctor

15 years old Mike and Sally Oldfield first folk project named Sallyangie; Vivid announced this rare album release in Blu-spec format with new 2017 Remaster in February. It was recorded in 1967 and released in 1968.

Feb. 22, 2017

The Sallyangie Children of the Sun (Blu-spec CD)

Cardboard sleeve reissue release form The Sallyangie features Blu-spec CD format and 24bit remastering (2017). The mini LP faithfully replicates its original UK LP design.

(translation)
    Children of the Sun [Blu-spec CD] / The Sallyangie
    "Mike Oldfield, a weak crown 15-year-old maiden work! One piece that can be called a prototype of the name plate "Tubullar Bells". Revive on Blu - Spec CD. At the release of 68 years, Mike Oldfield who was 15 years old was the only work of Folk Duo formed with 19-year-old sister Sally Oldfield. Northern Joseph of Pentacle is responsible for producing, Terry Cox, Ray Wurley etc participate. Developing fantastic folk sound that makes full use of classical instruments such as flute, cello, harpsichord. One piece that can be said as the prototype of the later Mike Oldfield work. A paper jacket specification based on British record LP. High sound quality "Blu-spec CD" adopted. 2017 24 bit remastering".

Sally Oldfield had very nice voice:
    SALLY OLDFIELD - MY DAMSEL HEART

22. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Hello,
    Can anyone comment on the quality of the sound quality use on this Version? is the 2010 remaster consider to be good, or is it loud and compress...

23. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

But there was no EU when this record set was first released...:)

24. fspadafora

fspadafora Forum Resident

Have any pictures of the Harrison titles yet? Some things I noticed from what I have seen online make me feel we missed out on some nice details by having them replicate the UK versions. I think the Extra Texture may not be the die cut cover and the Thirty three & 1/3 does not have the silver embossed lettering. This would be disappointing considering the LPs in the box set have these features.

25. toilet_doctor

Looks like Extra Testure has textured cover... I will report about die cut, when my copy arrive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While All Things looks like Shell type box - hard to see:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like not embossed letters. They had only one month to make them...