Japan - Quiet Life Deluxe (Jan 2020?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BigManRestless, Sep 15, 2019.

1. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident Thread Starter

Also now available from the official Japan store, at greater expense than anywhere else, but you get an exclusive EP of 9 mixes of Life In Tokyo (and I *think* that's missing the exclusive (?) remix/edit that appeared on the A Souvenir From Japan CD from the 1990s)

2. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Getting more and more expensive on every click

3. englishbob

£13.50 postage for the £65 boxset - nah you are alright

It hasn't taken long for this to turn into a pathetic fleecing exercise has it. The CD EP thing should already be IN the deluxe boxset as standard!

4. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

The should be a drop down box option on the postage for £6 - or make sure you put your post code in to get a quote before going to check out.

Also there is this option, whereby you get the cd of the album and the missing bonus ep for £15, then you can just sell on or give away your extra copy of the cd:
    Quiet Life CD + Life In Tokyo EP £15.00

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  5. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

@Paul Rymer
    No track times so wonder what you think the versions relate to as there are 10 versions on your site. Thanks!
    • 1. Life In Tokyo (Original 7” Mix 1979)
    • 2. Life In Tokyo (Original 7” Mix Part 2 1979)
    • 3. Life In Tokyo (Original 12” Version 1979)
    • 4. Life In Tokyo (‘Assemblage’ 7” Remix 1981)
    • 5. Life In Tokyo (‘Assemblage’ 12” Remix 1981)
    • 6. Life In Tokyo (Steve Nye 7″ Special Remix 1982)
    • 7. Life In Tokyo (Steve Nye 12″ Special Remix Version 1982)
    • 8. Life In Tokyo (Steve Nye Theme 1982)
    • 9. Life In Tokyo (Steve Nye Theme ‘Correct Pitch’ 1982)

6. Gordon Bennett

Gordon Bennett Active Member

It's looking like the bonus cd single of LIT is a re-release of the versions available on BVCP 8613/14 plus one extra, possibly the 'Corrected Pitch' version.

Could be one for the completists.

Derek Slazenger and humanracer like this.
  7. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

The shipping for the box set with bonus disc, to the US, is already more expensive ($57) than I would pay for the set itself. The current state of shipping makes the choice of whether or not to get some of these sets (Steven Wilson being another example) very easy to make. And again, another set with vinyl I would never use or even take out of the sleeve.

8. Demiurge88

Demiurge88 Forum Resident

I wish there was a 3-disc CD-only set, but since it's either the 3CD/1LP super deluxe edition or the standard edition containing just the album itself on one CD, I'll take the former. Price isn't too bad; these sorts of editions can often be twice as expensive, so I can't complain too much. :)

I enjoy "Life in Tokyo", but I don't need that many versions of it, so I'll skip the EP and get it from a Swedish retailer so I don't have to pay the additional import fees and such.

9. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Fleecing the completist again. Pass.

englishbob and Gordon Bennett like this.
  10. humanracer

The versions on that CD were mostly taken from vinyl. Perhaps these are from the masters.

Gordon Bennett likes this.
  11. Justin Case

Justin Case Forum Resident

There’s 8 versions of Life in Tokyo on the Japanese Singles 2 CD, not being a completist don’t think I need the additional EP. out of the box the live Cd and the book is the draw for me.

12. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

Duran Duran are big John Foxx Ultravox fans. Nick and John compiled this album in 2006 based on Rhodes' DJ setlist at the RumRunner nightclub in Birmingham where they sprouted out of.
    [​IMG]
    It's got "Underpass" and "Slow Motion" on it. Everything on it is impeccable.

13. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

• 1. Life In Tokyo (Original 7” Mix 1979) - as it says, on "Assemblage"
    • 2. Life In Tokyo (Original 7” Mix Part 2 1979) - b-side in 1979, only previously on Japanese CDs "The Singles" and "Assemblage" (1995 2-CD version)
    • 3. Life In Tokyo (Original 12” Version 1979) - the one from the red vinyl 12" / HANSA 4 reissue in '81 - on Japanese CDs "The Singles" and "Assemblage" (1995 2-CD version)
    • 4. Life In Tokyo (‘Assemblage’ 7” Remix 1981) - this is probably the mix from "Souvenir In Japan" but not 100% certain. It was never on vinyl except edited on a various artists compilation
    • 5. Life In Tokyo (‘Assemblage’ 12” Remix 1981) - this is the one from the UK special edition cassette and Japanese LP. On the 2006 "Assemblage" reissue CD called the 1982 mix
    • 6. Life In Tokyo (Steve Nye 7″ Special Remix 1982) - 1982 7" mix from HANSA 17 - on The Very Best of Japan
    • 7. Life In Tokyo (Steve Nye 12″ Special Remix Version 1982) - 12" version from 1982 HANSA 1217 on the Japanese Singles 2-CD but also the 2001 Camden Quiet Life CD
    • 8. Life In Tokyo (Steve Nye Theme 1982) - B-side of the above - on the Japanese Singles 2-CD
    • 9. Life In Tokyo (Steve Nye Theme ‘Correct Pitch’ 1982) - sounds similar to the Moroder Theme in the box set but with a different EQ and a different drum sound. I don't think Moroder did mix the version on the box set, though he posted it on his Soundcloud - Mick Karn's overdubbed bass is the giveaway. Karn overdubbed fretless bass during the mixing by Nye.

Timjosephuk and humanracer like this.
  14. humanracer

I read this on super deluxe edition website:

According to Anthony Reynolds on a FB post the live CD is from a cleaned up audience recording. I don’t think it would put me off buying if I’d known beforehand but still disappointing it’s not a soundboard recording.

15. Justin Case

If that’s the case I’m out, not paying a premium for a cleaned up boot.

16. Fripper

Fripper Increasingly less tolerant of intolerant people...

Phil Kinrade mastered the album and second CD. Jansen Is responsible for the live CD.

gomen ne, Demiurge88 and englishbob like this.
  17. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I’m thinking I might just need to buy an original pressing LP

sound chaser likes this.
  18. Fripper

Fripper Increasingly less tolerant of intolerant people...

To be fair, this is a very nice remastering by Phil.

Beamish13 likes this.
  19. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

So you’ve heard this new remaster? My apologies if I missed this upthread...

20. TheVeryDab

TheVeryDab Forum Resident

The Townsend store was offering the CD version of the album together with the Life In Tokyo CD EP this morning for £15 (+ P&P) - that option is now gone, leaving only the more expensive box set or vinyl options as a way to get the CD EP - other than the obvious reason of wanting to drive up the minimum spend of fans eager to get it, why has that happened?!

21. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

22. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

23. englishbob

Went with the Amazon UK order link for the now not-so-deluxe box set with missing bits. Well done team, go marketing!

ispace likes this.
  24. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I cancelled my mystery Amazonuk Jan 22nd release pre-order and ordered the set from the official store. It many be a bit more expensive but I quite fancied the LIT cd and I was annoyed with Amzn not having proper details up and being too vague for too long.
    Bezos will not miss my £.

Japan has always been one of my favourite artists and I love this album, so despite having it on a NM original Japanese gatefold (with obi & poster) and the triple vinyl from a few years back, this is a must buy. Not bothered about the red vinyl edition.

Munros1969 likes this.
  25. Justin Case

The mystery £41.99 Amazon pre order is now the £22.99 vinyl, so duly cancelled. Will wait on information on the provenance of the live disc before committing to the box.
    My confusion is if the 4 tracks from that show were used for the live EP, why would the whole show be an audience recording (speculation I know).

sound chaser and englishbob like this.