Japanese Beatles Mono LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Evan, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan

Evan Senior Member Thread Starter

Are the Japanese Mono reissue LP pressings from the eighties any good? I have seen them on occasion here in Japan and wonder if the are worth picking up. Are they good compared to the UK Mono LPs? Has anyone done a comparison of the Beatles UK mono LPs and the Japanese Mono reissue LPs?
    Any help is appreciated.

Evan

2. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, they're certainly **good**, but in my opinion, they don't match the same tone or impact of a Parlophone or Apple UK orginal.

Others seem to find them preferable (and lord know, they're certainly **cheaper** than the originals), but I feel the differences in vinyl and cutting **do** make a difference.

I'd encourage you to try one out for yourself, though... believe me, if you get the urge to splurge later, there are plenty more vintage copies out there... and if nothing else, you'll get a (relatively) low-cost introduction to the mono mixes, which is always a good thing!! :D

-Kevin

3. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I think the Japanese are superior on most every title. Pepper and the White album -blow away- the original UK issues, and have quieter surfaces as well. Not to mention they're more attractive to look at;)

4. Evan

I will have to give one a try. The ones I have seen are in near mint condition and cost about $50 to $100 dollars. Much cheaper than the Parlophone Black and Yellow labels LPs. You would not believe how much they go for in Japan. :eek:

And I have to admit that the red vinyl caught my eye. It is so darn cool :cool:

5. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

It's system-dependent. Japanese pressings will almost invariably sound sassy on top given a more neutral system. That's how they're cut.

If your system is more forgiving of brighter pressings, you'll love 'em.

By the way, you're better off with a stereo pressing of "Beatles For Sale". The mono mix is quite congested.

6. Evan

I have a few copies already. All stereo (I have never heard it in mono). A Parlophone Black and Yellow, two two box EMIs (one comes from the 1964 lacquer!) and a MFSL (my first Copy). What can I say? I really like that album. :love:

I have never understood why people think that it is a poor effort by the Beatles. And I love their version of "Mr. Moonlight" I will argue with anyone who thinks that it is the worst thing the group ever recorded.

7. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

No argument here. :) Sounds like you're set with stereo copies.

8. BRush

BRush Senior Member

When they made the Japanese Pressings, were the mastering plants given access to the Original Master Tapes., or just copies?

I find it hard to believe that record labels would ship out master tapes to Japan.

9. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

:thumbsup:

10. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

They do and they're called sub masters, production masters, 2nd or 3rd generation copies, take your pick.

EMI certainly isn't gonna send out the original 2 track master. Standard practice is to copy it off first, then send it out.

As far as Japanese pressings go, seek out the book called The Beatles Japanese record guide by Jason Anjoorian (1994) copies should still be available thru Beatlefest, oops I mean The Fest For Beatle Fans (so sorry Apple.) @1-866-The Fest. Recommended reading.

11. I have several of each (uk and japanese) ands I think the japanese are MUCH more hi-fi. I truly believe that they must be closer to the real sound of the master tapes.

Whatever the tapes they used, they are very very clear (and I don't mean the colour of the vinyl).

My uk Sgt Pepper is an eighties-struck-from-a -60's-plate mono and it has no top end above 6 or 8 khz. Heh Heh, except for the note at the end.

The american mono MMT is well worth the purchase of a clean copy.

My best sounding stereo BFS is a dutch copy. I have the MoFi (w/ a 14khz boost), uk 80's pressing (previous owner beat it to death), japanese (I beat THAT one to death, it was really listenable but very midrangey). Bought the dutch copy last and it is clean and (somewhat) neutral. I have uk pressings of these: Help, AHDN, LIB, White (distorted badly, sounded terrible from day one), Pepper, Rubber Soul, Hey Jude, BFS, WTB. I was satisfied with hall but the one . . .in stereo, at least.

uk Revolver mono - no top end. uk Yellow Submarine - waste of time, as it was a fold-down. uk Pepper - see above. japanese WTB and Pepper - impressive.

marcelbr likes this.
  12. Evan

Well, I was in a record shop yesterday and I found Japanese Mono pressings of "With the Beatles", "Rubber Soul", "Revolver", and the "White Album", all in near mint condition. Cool! I have listened to "With the Beatles" and "Rubber Soul" and they sound pretty good to me. Much better than the boasted high end Japanese stereo versions in the Blue Box. And the vinyl is so damn cool!!! :cool:

13. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

My good friend Tom Kenndy was located in Japan back in the 60's where he bought the Odeon Red Stereo versions and they blew away anything he had ever heard.

My ears found out so I finally was inclined to believe him about those pressings. I have know doubt except buy up all the mono Red's you can find on each LP.

Trust me on this. They do in fact stack up to the UK versions out there and IMHO actually might be better.

Just use your ears, you won't be disappointed

14. Evan

I have actually seen some stereo red vinyl Beatles album's, but I ignored them because I was looking for the mono versions. I will have pick one up if I see one again.

15. stever

stever Senior Member

Where can I purchase Japanese red mono pressings without paying high eBay prices?

16. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

Exactly what I was thinking. I've been lusting after mint mono copies of SGT Pepper and the White Album and I can't seem to snag either of them for less than a ransom. Sure wish someone would reissue them again!

17. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

So what would be the essential Mono Beatles to get? Sgt. Peppers and the White Album, couldn't the EP collection fill in for the rest or is there another must have title? (besides the UA A Hard Day's Night)

18. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I think its worthwhile to have Rubber Soul, Revolver & Help in mono. As far as a mono MMT, you can compile one from the EP & Singles cd sets that will be very good.

19. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Are they very hard to find in Japan? (hint hint) The ebay prices are crazy for the red mono's!

20. What he said. The prices on eBay are ridiculous.

21. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Ebay bidding gone mad

You have to be both patient and lucky. I have found a couple of UK Ebayers that don't get a lot of bids on their items, eventhough they have 100% pos. feedback. I picked up several M- monos from them at decent prices, even lucked out and got a M-(not a mark on the vinyl) "factory sample" Pepper. The key is be patient. :)

I got sniped yesterday on a UK Stereo pepper, funny thing, I always snipe but I did'nt on that one so live & learn I guess. I have a German Stereo Pepper that sounds real good but I still want a UK Stereo to go with the Mono. Watch out for those snipers. :)

Here's a great example of a bidder who must be on top. Look at how magamix110 bids. He's responsible for driving the price sky high and he will probably lose out to a higher bidder or pay a ridiculously elevated price for this LP when all is said and done.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2533236521&category=27344&rd=1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.