Jason Bateman has “officially signed on” for "Arrested Development" season 5

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

It’s a joke. Twentieth Century Fox still owns the show, including the Netflix season(s).

OldSoul likes this.
  2. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

You should be able to find it under "Trailers & More."

DeeThomaz likes this.
  3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The new version works surprisingly well, especially considering that it was not written with this approach in mind.

pablo fanques likes this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I’m watching the remix.... there’s more cutting between storylines which helps the rhythm feel more like that of the original show, but characters still disappear for episodes at a time and there’s still some scrambling of the timeline... seems to make it funnier though.

5. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

I'm a few episodes into the remix and while it's certainly better than before, it's still disjointed at times and well, just not that funny. And it might be just be but Howard's narration often seems slow, like he's having trouble reading. Kinda gets on my nerves.

6. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Apparently, the remix mercifully whittles the episodes back down to the 22-minute range. When I watched these way back when, pretty much every episode I kept checking the time waiting for the thing to finally end. Maybe I'll give the remix a shot, but I don't think there's enough funny stuff in the episodes even at a reduced run time.

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought the original season four had too much narration and this one has even more... and it’s annoying if you’re bingeing because he keeps recapping things you just saw in the previous episode.

8. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Her?

mmars982 likes this.
  9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Season 5: May 29th.

sentinel90125 and Marry a Carrot like this.
  10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

11. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Watched Season 5 of the trailer and laughed out loud. From what I saw, they have lost nothing and Season 5 looks to be awesome. Got a little misty at the end, too, thinking about all the time that has passed since I watched the first season on broadcast TV. Before 30 rock, Kimmy Schmidt, Modern Family... before the Office, even, there was Arrested Development. Half a career ago; it seems like a lifetime ago. So glad it's back and in true form.

12. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

The remix still can't fix the jarring green screening in of characters who are not actually present during filming.

But if this was what shipped instead of the original season 4 I'd have liked it a lot more. Now it seems like a repeat in a weird clip show-y format.

13. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I guess I missed something. What's up with Tambor?

14. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

15. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

After watching a few more episodes I think the re-edit has helped tremendously. It's still material we've seen, but if you haven't seen Season 4 then this would be the preferred format for first viewing.

16. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Aaaaaand the trailer dropped a few days ago. I-I think I just blue myself (mods, its a joke from the show, not meant to be "dirty").

DHamilton and George P like this.
  17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Bad news and even worse news.

Netflix aren't dropping all of season 5 at once - we're only getting the first eight episodes in May. The last half of the season won't be uploaded until the fall.

And Portia de Rossi just announced that she's retiring from acting. So she's definitely not going to be in season 6 (and if you ever had any hopes of a 'Better Off Ted' revival, you can forget that too) and Jeffrey Tambor seems pretty unlikely. I'd not optimistic there will be another season at all now. This just might be it.

OldSoul likes this.
  18. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

The Hud and DeeThomaz like this.
  19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Bring on more Better Off Ted, too... :D

Given that only you, I, and cast members' moms watched BOT, I doubt that'll ever happen. Still one of my all-time favorite shows...

will_b_free and 93curr like this.
  21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

DeeThomaz likes this.
  22. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Having watched all 8 episodes, I’m slightly disappointed. Even though they’ve supposedly eschewed the Rashomon-esque atructure, I still found it hard to get my head around thr chronology-possibly because so many plots didn’t seem to lead anywhere. It was a relief to see they’ve abandoned the Richter quintuplets and sidelined or written out several peripheral characters but having Ron Howard as himself in S4 didn’t work and they ought to have quitely dropped the idea. There are some strong performances-from Batemand and Shawkst in particular-but it’s the weakest season for me.

23. MikeInFla

Haven't watched the new season yet, going thru the old episodes starting with season 1. My wife and I enjoyed the original run years ago and now our oldest daughter is 17 so we thought she would enjoy it as well and she does. So we are watching them all in order but not really looking forward to seeing season 4 again.

24. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

The season 4 remix is MUCH better.

I didn't realize season 5 was being split up, so I was really confused when episode 8 ended and there was nothing left. I'm not sure why they went with long episodes again. The constraints of 22 minutes really aids the comedy in this show, since they have to keep up the pace.

Any word on when part 2 drops? Hopefully I won't be back at school.

25. MikeInFla

Since I have not watched Season 5 yet someone please post a spoiler alert and let me know if Annyong appears. A very minor character that I forgot all about until we started watching the series over again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.