Jason Isbell - how big has he gotten?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgw

cgw Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jason Isbell is headlining at the local shed this summer. OK co-headlining with Brandi Carlile but he is billed first.
    I know he is pretty hot, but I thought it was hot among people in the know (like Hoffman forum dudes).
    I have be watching to see if he was playing near-by but expected him in a smaller venue.
    I know him as someone who used to play with the Drive-by Truckers. Ironically the DbT's are playing the same shed as an opening band this summer (for Tedeschi Trucks).

trd likes this.
  2. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

One thing I've noticed about Jason is that he has a relentless tour schedule. It seems he's always playing somewhere and has been since Southeastern was released. I've seen him twice in small venues and both shows were sold out. I don't know how artists get paid for concerts, but I'm guessing he's making a decent enough living otherwise he wouldn't be doing it.

edit: If the OP is referring to Marvin Sands, then I see it sits 15,0000. The largest I've seen Jason was in 2000 seats. If he's selling out the bigger places, then I'd guess he's hot enough.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    JL6161 and Zeki like this.
  3. cgw

Yes - CMAC (playing it is one thing, selling it out is another)
    It looks like Brandi Carlile (who I know nothing about) is playing similar venues.

4. Nice Marmot

Start with The Firewatcher's Daughter and see the show.

[​IMG]

5. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

His last 2 records debuted at #1 on the billboard country charts, he sold out 5 consecutive nights at the Ryman, and he was the youngest ever artist in residence at the CMA hall of fame last year. Those may be indications of his growing popularity.

painted8, JL6161, trd and 4 others like this.
  6. cypert2

cypert2 Forum Resident

He’s gotten big very fast. I’ve seen him 10 times. The first was just a few years ago st the White Water Tavern in Little Rock playing for 100 or so drunks. The last time was again in Little Rock where he sold out the 2,600 seat Robinson Center. Saw two of his shows at the Ryman last fall (he sold out six nights, not five). If your only familiar with him from his studio work, you have to see him live to appreciate him and the 400 Unit. They do a blistering live set.

7. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

I was surprised that a show was just announced for this summer at the 5,000 amphitheater (Nautica) in my town (Cleveland).

I saw him last fall at a 1,500 seat theater (Goodyear) in Akron that had a fair amount of empty seats in the balcony. Great show though, and I am buying my tix for this summer's show when it goes on sale this Friday. Also, I have noticed that bands playing that Akron theater in the past few years seem to sell less tickets than they would/did in the past in a Cleveland venue - probably a combo of location and minimal promotion.

However, I will be interested to see how this summer's show sells. Foo Fighters are playing at the 20,000 seat amphitheater in town the same night.

Bands like QOTSA, Modest Mouse, and Greta Van Fleet have booked (and sold out on the first day of sale) shows at the 2,000 seat Agora Theater, instead of the 5,000 seat Nautica, in the past year. So, I am surprised that he wasn't booked for the Agora instead. Hopefully the cheap ticket prices ($25-$50) will help sales.

8. cgw

CMAC has 5000 covered seats (then the lawn).
    Usually double bills in the summer are intended to bring in fans from both artists. But it looks like that both here would have the same fans? Or is that not really the case?

9. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Certainly a large theater level act. I think he played two nights last time through Austin. If he was booked into the outdoor shed over the summer with a modestly well known support, I could see it seeing decently, but not close to filling the venue.

10. The last few times through here he's played 2 nights at DPAC which has a capacity of 2,700. I miss the days when he played bars. I first saw him in 2008. Glad he's found success though.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  11. Nice Marmot

People are going to see Isbell and Brandi Carlisle is just a bonus. Are you thinking on seeing the show yourself? If you can, see it. It'll be very good, regardless of who's opening. Yes, Carlisle is worthy.

12. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Unfortunately not as big as Chris Stapleton, who seems to be packing arenas.

Isbell has slowly built his base through excellent releases and the aforementioned relentless touring/blistering live act. Which is to say, the old-fashioned way.

There are ‘country music fans’ everywhere now; the last two times I’ve seen him have been in Philadelphia, PA and Berlin, Germany and the fans were passionate about the music

Lonecat, ScramMan2 and Ernest T like this.
  13. Nice Marmot

I thought this as well until I started looking, they both have the same amount of sold out shows. Stapleton might be playing bigger arenas but he's not selling them out faster. In my opinion, Stapleton got some huge publicity, but is still only a smaller venue artist because he's got about the same amount of listeners as Isbell. Right now, Stapleton is Nashville's darling but most people aren't going to want the $100+ special seats, in a big arena, to see him.

14. cypert2

cypert2 Forum Resident

Saw Stapleton play one time. He actually opened up for Isbell at the Ryman two years ago. A few nights later Stapleton was on some awards show and did a duet with Timberlake. That one performance probably was worth several million dollars to him. People loved him afterwords. I don’t buy into all his hype. He’s certainly no Jason Isbell.

Lonecat, Ernest T and Rockinrob like this.
  15. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I disagree but time will tell.

Both are talented guys bringing and they’re bringing solid ‘country’ music to the mainstream. Dave Cobb, remember, deserves some measure of credit

16. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

I really like them both (actually prefer Isbell), but Stapleton definitely sells more tickets than Isbell right now - I'd imagine a lot of that has to do with the fact that Stapleton gets more "mainstream country" press and airplay even though his music is definitely not "mainstream country."

For example, last summer Stapleton sold 14k tickets at a venue in my area; meanwhile, Isbell is booked for a 5K seat venue this summer in the same market. Also, Pollstar's data shows that Stapleton averaged 13K tickets sold per show in 2017.

DanBNash likes this.
  17. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'm so happy for Jason, he's been such a joy to hear develop and he absolutely believe he deserves all of this attention. But if I'm being honest, the inner Truckers fan in me gets a minor twinge of jealousy in that I don't think they ever blew up as big as they deserve.

18. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I saw Isbell and Stapleton both play Willie's 4th of July Picnic 3 or 4 years ago. Stapleton had a much better set overall in my opinion. Isbell was good but I did not really connect with his material. On an afternoon bill w those two, plus Sturgill Simpson and Kacey Musgraves I would saw Isbell was a distant 4th on my interest scale.

19. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I'm seeing her this summer. Isbell isn't part of that show sadly

Nice Marmot likes this.
  20. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

he's certainly not John Popper-big

Davmoco, ScramMan2, Fullbug and 4 others like this.
  21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Why tear down one to build up another? They are both great.

22. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Jason deserves every bit of his personal and professional success.

A brilliant songwriter, IMHO.

23. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

He actually was a pretty big guy when he joined DBTs. When I first saw this thread my first reaction was "actually he's a lot smaller" :hide: :D.

But seriously, Isbell's star is definitely on the rise. He's worked hard for it.
    As stated by a previous poster there is a twinge of jealousy as a DBT fan. They've worked their butts off for years and continuously put out albums that are critically praised, but have yet to reach the stature that
    Isbell is now enjoying.

lesterbangs, marty34, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  24. Nice Marmot

Yeah. Jason plays small venues. I've seen him in the 2000 seat amphitheatre of a micro-brew, but he tours seemingly nonstop and has for about three years. He's playing a high volume of shows all the time.

25. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

His current (good) look is a great advertisement for giving up alcohol.

Back in the day:
    [​IMG]

Alcohol-free:
    [​IMG]

Dusty Sommers, ARK, drift and 12 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.