Jason Isbell - how big has he gotten?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I wish the show here in Portland was going to be reserve seating like the one in NY. In which case I'd try to get in on the presale starting tomorrow. I was able to get 3rd row a couple years ago in NH. Even though we stood 95% of the time it was still nice to have a seat.

I'll have to settle for GA in a flat field and no cover this time. The venue is kind enough to offer a blanket and beach chair area.............in the back.

2. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

He's playing Red Rocks with Aimee Mann. It's about half-sold -- 4,500 tickets out of a little more than 9K available. Still, he was hitting small clubs here not long ago.

3. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Jason is incredible! I love every single song on his latest CD. He got a Grammy for it and for the single from it "If We Were Vampires"

4. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

That show is not until September. He might sell more tickets before then.;)

ARK likes this.
  5. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

Definitely. DBT with Isbell circa 2003-05 was about as good as it gets from a live show standpoint. Saw them several times during that period. That line-up rocked the paint off the walls every single night. I used to freakin' love Isbell's lead guitar playing on Cooley's "Where The Devil Don't Stay" (among others). They played that song a lot before they actually released it and it was always a major highlight of those shows for me.

Lonecat, Zeki and Ernest T like this.
  6. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Of course there will be more sales. But if you're familiar with the concert business, 90% of ticket sales happen with the on-sale date. Maybe Jason will have a high-profile hit/appearance/whatever between now and then, but if not, this is pretty much it.

7. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

I'll give it a shot. This is the song that got me to like his music.

8. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Watching him on Austin City Limits right now, really my first exposure and I like it! Authentic Americana, great musicianship within the band

500Homeruns, SBegonias17 and trd like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That was the first and so far only song I've heard by him. What else is as good?

10. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

He just finished with Anxiety, which was fantastic. Start and finish were dirty instrumental with a heartfealt song in between

11. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

He played If We Were Vampires, another highlight. His wife, Amanda Shires, was with him, and now I’m watching her do her own ACL set

12. trd

trd Forum Resident

If you like that listen to If We Were Vampires from his last album, The Nashville Sound

13. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Now he is guesting with Amanda, who is an excellent Americana artist on her own, Jason playing a fiery and intricate guitar line

14. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I wouldn't call Isbell a country artist. I'd call him a rockin' singer/songwriter.

Subvet and 500Homeruns like this.
  15. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

“Last of my kind“, the first track on The Nashville sound.

16. lazydawg58

I describe his look as, Southern Baptist Youth Minister. Not a put down. They are normally good folk.

17. lazydawg58

I'd say his work is best appreciated when taken as a whole. Sit down or stretch out and put on Southeastern for starters. Then go from there.

18. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I'd like to give JB a listen. Where's the best place to start with his solo discography?

19. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Southeastern. His masterpiece. It’s very introspective, and begins a career renaissance for Isbell.

The two records that follow are both very strong as well and rock harder.

500Homeruns and DocShipe like this.
  20. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I'll assume you would want to include Jason Isbell's post Truckers discography with his band. These will be listed in Discogs under "Jason Isbell And The 400 Unit". If that is the case, I strongly recommend you start with his fantastic live album "Live From Alabama".
    I don't disagree that Southeastern is a masterpiece, with The Nashville Sound close on its heels. I'd still start with the live album.

Zeki and DocShipe like this.
  21. cypert2

cypert2 Forum Resident

If you wanna see a super live show, go watch him at the Ryman. Of course, he sells out the 5-6 shows about ten seconds after they’re available which makes getting tickets a little tough!

22. DocShipe

DocShipe Forum Resident

That live album is amazing and gives you almost all his best Truckers’ songs—the version of Decoration Day is just blistering—and a good mix of the best stuff from his pre-Southereastern records (all of which were under appreciated when they first came out).

Subvet, SBegonias17 and Zeki like this.
  23. cypert2

cypert2 Forum Resident

I’m not familiar with the concert business, except I’ve been to a bunch of them! I am very familiar with Isbell and his fans. Be willing to bet there will be easily 8000+ at Red Rocks.

Subvet likes this.
  24. Riverwest

Riverwest Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure he''s hovering around 180 lbs these days...
    so you know...not that big.

budwhite likes this.
  25. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I'm still not in the habit of going to YouTube, so I'm only half aware of Isbell. I know a guy who I respect for his music interests and he loves Jason.
    But what I have seen of him, he seems so earnest and serious, like he takes himself very seriously. What I like about the Truckers is they seem like a rock band who have interesting ideas, while Isbell seems like he wants to bare his soul. Idk. Am I off-base here? My fiend recommended a version of Born In the USA by Isbell, and it didn't thrill me like he thought it would.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.