Jason Reitman directing new original-universe "Ghostbusters" movie set for 2020 release

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Due out in theaters November 11, 2021.

JediJones likes this.
  2. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

At the end of the panel, Jason says he intended this movie to open the door to a "universe" of Ghostbusters movies being made by different directors.

3. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I believe I read somewhere the other day that Muncher was even paying tribute to the late great John Belushi too.

4. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

The international trailer. Some people think this should be the trailer shown in U.S. cinemas because it is more action-oriented. But it avoids showing any of the original film's characters, I assume because they don't think foreign audiences know the original movie as well as we do in the U.S.

5. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

SirCandy likes this.
  6. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

With the original " Ghostbusters " they captured lightning in a bottle. You just can't do that twice- look at Ghostbusters 2. Sometimes I wonder what the film would have been like if Belushi had starred in it- I'm sure it still would have been great.

7. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

None of the 4 buster actors were very big on physical comedy. Belushi likely would've brought that into it. Which might have been funny, but could've reduced just how much the film relies on verbal humor and clever dialogue. And considering how quotable it is, that might've made it not quite as uniquely good. All the physical comedy in the movie comes from Rick Moranis, but his look and delivery are the most important parts of his character.

8. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

The verbal humour and clever dialogue would still have been there ( it's Ackroyds script )- BUT Belushi would have brought his incredible charisma AND physical humour to the film-.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Kids headlining this movie? No thanks.

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I actually saw the preview in the theater right before DUNE.

Looks fun...

JediJones likes this.
  11. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

The thing is, they rewrote the script with the actors in mind. If Belushi was cast, they likely wouldn't have written it the same way. And don't forget some of the dialogue was ad-libbed, especially Murray's. They could have made Venkman a man of few words like Belushi in Animal House. Belushi wasn't a big talker in Blues Brothers either, if I recall. Belushi's persona also tended to be more impulsive, childlike and from the gut, while Murray was a stone-cold, calculating cynic.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  12. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

13. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

Dan Ackroyd DID write Ghostbusters with John Belushi in mind- just like he wrote the Blues Brothers with him in mind as well. They went with Bill Murray after Belushi died of his overdose. Don't get me wrong I love Murray in the role of Venkman but I think Belushi would have hit it out of the park. I wonder if Belushi had taken the title role would Murray have been cast as the fourth Ghostbuster?

yesstiles likes this.
  14. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

His original script was heavily reworked by him, Reitman and Ramis before they started filming, after Murray was cast. Believe me, I've read up on the making of this film heavily, so I'm not making anything up. I don't know everything about it, but I know what I know. Below is a source for what I said.

Ghostbusters - Wikipedia

Their initial draft was completed when they left the Vineyard in mid-July 1983, with a third and near-final draft ready by early August.[8][9][15] When Murray later flew to New York after the filming of The Razor's Edge (1984) to meet Aykroyd and Ramis, he offered little input on the script or his character. Having written for Murray multiple times before, Ramis said he knew how to handle his character's voice.[8]

As for the fourth Ghostbuster, I'm a little fuzzy on the development of that character. I remember hearing an earlier draft had him in from the beginning, and he was another educated professional type. There is a lot of dispute and confusion about whether Eddie Murphy was considered (Reitman says he has no knowledge of that). I'm not sure at what stage they decided Winston would appear later in the movie and not be a scientist, or if they had cast the role before deciding that. Wiki literally says Hudson was told his part was reduced the night before filming, and given a new draft. I'm not sure if there are any earlier versions of the GB script out there, but I remember reading recently that no one has seen Aykroyd's original script.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  15. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

#2 failed to even capture a dying lightning bug in a bottle.

It's horrid.

SirCandy likes this.
  17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

18. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Looks like they have new curved LED billboards in Times Square. Japan has had this for a while, and seems to mostly use it to show a giant cat. An Afterlife ad is running on this now. The sequence starts at 0:57 in this video. Should be interesting to see what other ads they come up with in the future. The NYC billboard is taller than Japan's, so I can imagine some good dinosaur graphics being created for the next Jurassic movie.

19. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

The three surviving original Ghostbusters actors will appear on Seth Meyers tonight.

Original Ghostbusters reunion happening this Monday on Late Night with Seth Meyers - Ghostbusters News

Monday night as Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and Ernie Hudson are all set to appear on Late Night with Seth Meyers, giving Ghostbusters fans a rare reunion!

Now a quick heads up, Late Night with Seth Meyers typically airs at 12:37 am, so while it’s advertised as a Monday, it’s Tuesday. Keep that in mind if setting your DVR.

In addition to Murray, Aykroyd, and Hudson’s appearance, fellow Ghostbusters: Afterlife star Paul Rudd will also be a special guest on Thursday night’s episode (Friday at 12:37 am) of Late Night with Seth Meyers

Speaking of Rudd, he’ll also be a special guest on Monday night’s episode (November 15th at 11:30 pm) of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

20. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Video of Jason Reitman introducing the movie at the NYC premiere. This is a very touching introduction and the best explanation I've seen him give for why he made this movie.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

23. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Almost every fan I've seen online who saw the movie in advance is raving about it. None of them are buying into the idea that the 2016 remake is somehow better than this one.

Whenever I've started a discussion with someone this week who is bashing this new movie for being too "nostalgic" or whatever, without having seen it, the discussion inevitably devolves into them ranting about Ghostbusters fans being "sexist" or "racist." They're still continuing the same unjust war they waged against Ghostbusters fans 5 years ago. I'm sure the same witchhunt mentality is influencing the mainstream critics as well, as the mainstream and internet media was a huge driver of the disgusting smearing of Ghostbusters fans back then.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  24. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Cool CBS interview with Bill Murray and other cast members inside the actual NYC Ghostbusters firehouse (used for exteriors, interiors were shot at a similar one in California).

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!