Jaws on Home Video

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by svoegtlin, Apr 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Wow. I bought it on VHS, then on laserdisc, then on DVD and then on BluRay. Never felt bad about it, either. It's a great movie that really holds up well to repeated viewings.

2. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I can't say any of the flaws you noticed compromised the film for me, but it is a shame if they are readily noticeable (I'll have to take another look with a more critical eye). That said, I'm glad the title was made available on the format, and I've no doubt Jaws 3D and Jaws: The Revenge will find their way into my BD player at some point.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Well, I did still give the BD a "B-" for the transfer, so I thought it was a decent presentation.a

And being critical is my job! :D

DVD/BD transfer standards have really changed over the last 10 years or so, and print defects simply aren't as acceptable as they used to be. In 2002, I'd watch a DVD and excuse the flaws because the movie was old, but that's not the case anymore - too many good clean-up jobs for me to swallow needless defects...

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

DVD. One of favorites and the book was first adult book I ever read. The Island and The Deep were also good books and movies. Nothing more terrifying than floating in the Pacic Ocean after wiping out water-skiing or tubing and thinking about Jaws!

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Do any of the BD editions of Part 4 include the "impalement" ending (as opposed to the ridiculous "explosion" ending that was used in previous DVD editions)?

6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Looks great on Blu ray and I bet you can find it in the cheap bin at War-Mart!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

This is important to know, because I'd hate to have a classic, logical, well-crafted movie like "Jaws: The Revenge" ruined by a ridiculous ending! :laugh:

Miller92473, DPM, supermd and 3 others like this.
  8. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

The blu-ray that came out in 2012.

9. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Grizzly is available from Scorpion Releasing and just like its sister company Code Red, you have to buy it directly or from Screen Archives Entertainment. Orca was available in Japan, I don't know if it's still in print or not. Tentacles is on blu as a double feature with Reptilicus (!). I'd love to see a blu ray of Great White with Vic Morrow. I was lucky enough to see it during its brief theatrical run in 1980 or 81 when I was a little kid. I believe it was pulled very quickly from the theaters due to a lawsuit from Peter Benchley or Universal for plagiarism. I do have a DVD bootleg and the quality is pretty good.

Johnny66 likes this.
  10. Dream #9

Dream #9 Well-Known Member

Have it on DVD and Blu-Ray. Never tire of it. Saw it when it first came to the cinema in the 70s. Scared the crap out of me. Great documentary on the making of the film. Quint's speech about what happened after the USS Indianapolis got torpedoed is one of the best scenes in the film IMO.

Steve Litos, VU Master and Vidiot like this.
  11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It's definitely a bad movie, but the "explosion" ending is so inexplicably awful that it makes the rest of the film look like "Citizen Kane" by comparison! ;)

12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The BD has the impalement ending as a bonus feature.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's widely known that "the Shaw monologue" (as some have called it) was largely improvised by Shaw himself in rehearsals, and Spielberg had it transcribed and added to the script and used for the actual shoot day. I agree, that's the highlight of the whole film. "Ya know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes: black eyes, like a doll's eyes." Scary as crap.

14. Dream #9

Found this article online. Also heard about it in a documentary

"During the making of Jaws, Robert Shaw had an alcohol-induced blackout during the filming of that famous S.S. Indianapolis speech. Shaw had convinced director Steven Spielberg that as the three characters in the scene (played by Shaw, Roy Scheider, and Richard Dreyfuss) had been drinking, it might be an idea to have a wee chaser before filming, just to get him in the mood. Spielberg agreed. It was an unwise decision as Shaw drank so much he had to be carried back onto the set. Hardly any filming took place that day, and Spielberg wrapped the crew at eleven in the morning."

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Dream #9

Quint:
    I'll drink to your leg.

Hooper:
    I'll drink to your leg.

Quint:
    Okay, we'll drink to our legs!

16. Dream #9

Classic Quint :laugh:

17. I have a VHS set packed in basement somewhere. 25th anniversary edition, I think. heh

18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I have two Blu-rays of JAWS. I bought it when it came out on the format, and got a second copy in a Spielberg box set.

19. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident Thread Starter

I picked up the Blu Ray this weekend.. You guys weren't kidding. It was AMAZING looking. Wow!

supermd, D-rock and jriems like this.
  20. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Another satisfied customer!

21. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Whichever one it was that I grabbed from the $5 bin at Walmart.
    I'm not a big film buff, I rarely seek out a certain release of a movie

22. Vinyl Addict

I agree, Jaws 2 trumps the original.
    :cheers:

23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:laughup:

Spitfire likes this.
  24. Vinyl Addict

:shrug:

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it.:agree:

But hey, swing by sometime and we can watch a Jaws marathon and have a few :cheers:
    :righton:

25. Oatsdad

You agree with me at 12 years old - you do not agree with me at 49 years old!

Ringmaster_D likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.