Jazz...Jazz...Jazz. Been bitten by the bug!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael Renwick, Nov 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inaudible

inaudible Forum Resident

Contemporary jazz artists I’m digging: Craig Taborn, Mary Halvorson, Matana Roberts, Steve Lehman (his octet albums are brilliant), Makaya McCraven, and I’m sure there are others.

I’ve been into jazz awhile and am discovering new stuff all the time. The album that really changed my life is Black Saint and the Sinner Lady by Mingus... really stands alone IMO.
    Enjoy your journey

Simoon, Mook and Isitquiex like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

.... and I thought this was about the Queen album! :hide:

3. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Some classic big band by Count Basie-Atomic Basie- and Duke Ellington-His mother called him Bill.

Chazzbo13 and Mook like this.
  4. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

Wes Montgomery has 6 or 8 must listen albums / CD's.

Chazzbo13 and Panama Hotel like this.
  5. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Midnight Blue is being reissued in June as part of the Blue Note Classic Series.

http://www.bluenote.com/classic-vinyl-reissue-series/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  6. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

My 'gateway drug' to jazz, was probably Miles Davis,.. first with Kind of Blue, Milestones and so much of the other 50's stuff, then the 60's quartet albums like ESP and then the fusion breakthrus of 'in a silent way' and 'b-tches brew' and 'jack johnson'. then duke ellington, mingus (start with 'mingus ah um'), thelonious monk, ... so much more too of course.. and on the subject of jazz guitar, the two pats- pat martino and pat metheny!

7. If you like Grant Green, it should be easy to get into this set

Full House, 1962 on Riverside

guitar- Wes Montgomery
    saxophone- Johnny Griffin
    piano- Wynton Kelly
    bass- Paul Chambers
    drums- Jimmy Cobb

I think it's a good way to get acquainted with a wide spectrum of jazz playing, because it's an all-star band of jazz heroes, the rhythm section is superb, and every soloist is amazing, not just the guitarist.

Chazzbo13, Archtop and ChazFromCali like this.
  8. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I stepped into Jazz in 1973 and it has been a broad and diverse discovery ever since.

9. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Smokin' At The Half Note, for starters.

ChazFromCali likes this.
  10. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

My favorite recent discovery has been drummer Allison Miller, who is part of the Artemis supergroup that just released a great new album on Blue Note.

I love her solo records with her band, Boom Tic Boom, especially last year's Glitter Wolf

11. Dapper Zoom

Dapper Zoom 私以外私じゃないの

Welcome to the club!

I also love Grant Green, but you didn't tell us why you like his music or what you like about it. if you do so, we can probably recommend some paths to explore.

Also, I suggest listening to the jazz playlist in my signature on shuffle when you are cleaning, reading, cooking, or some such and take notes on what you like. then explore from there.

12. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Can’t recommend this highly enough, Sonny Stitt with Bud Powell......

13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'm really enjoying Dave Brubeck's Live from the U.S. /U.K. His playing is inspired throughout, and his alto player Bobby Millicent (whom I've never heard of) plays with a fluid incandescence that rivals Phil Woods on a good day. Like someone filled his horn with gasoline and threw in a match. Which of course further inspires Dave. Pretty amazing performances.

14. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Same thing happened to me not long ago! Two good jazz stations...WBGO and WWOZ! And and and...have you heard the new Lady Blackbird album?!! Just superb!!

15. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

Whose voice was that?

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

been there done that. couldn't get enough. i was buying anything and everything i could used and most jazz CD's at that time were $5 or less.

it is wonderful and i admire the artists involved, but, after about a year i started to notice that much of began repeating itself, especially those RVG reissues from the late 50's early 60's that all had the same production and instrumentation, just a different name on the cover.

my advice is to enjoy, but go easy.......

17. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

I got into jazz from listening to Bob Parlocha's show in the 1990s. He was great at providing insight to the players and recordings. Just gave off a pleasant vibe.
    Many shows are archived online and I can't recommend checking them out enough!
    Jazz with Bob Parlocha Archives

18. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Get some-Sonny Rollins-Jimmy Smith-MJQ-Jazz Crusaders.. you'll love em!!!

19. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

20. David B

David B Forum Resident

LOL. We have a place in Florida where my wife has gone every winter, leaving me to go to work and listen to records. I’ve retired now and she expects me to go with her….
    Jazz is also a new discovery for me. Maybe 50 classic albums so far… Plus new artists like Tord Gustavson, Mehldau/Redman/McBride, Snarky Puppy (jazz rock fusion), Go Go Penguin

21. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

I wouldn't worry about hearing everything in the jazz world. I don't know if it's possible. The music has such a long, storied, and rich history. Just find what you really like. Every note of jazz is NOT essential listening IMO, there is a lot of sub-par stuff out there, but the best stuff definitely is essential.
    Check out best-of lists, focus on the sub genres you're most into. Post-bop, fusion, hard bop, etc...
    or better yet, explore music based on the players on the albums you've heard.
    If you listen to say, Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, seek out more music by him, as well as Coltrane, Cannonball, Bill Evans, etc..
    In fact, using Miles' discography is a great jumping off point, as just as there is a 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, there is truly a 6 degrees of Miles Davis. Dude played with so many musicians.

Some of the most popular names in jazz are Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny, Keith Jarrett, Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, and so on.
    I've seen it written (and said) that if the album was recorded in 1959, it is likely one of the best jazz albums ever made. That could be a good jumping off point. Of course, I got into jazz through 70s fusion, then eventually branched out from there, but everyone's tastes are different.
    In my experience, two labels produce much of my favorite music: Blue Note, and ECM.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    Maltman likes this.
  22. David B

David B Forum Resident

Good advice. Start close to what you know you like

Islands likes this.
  23. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

The great thing about jazz is there are so many styles, there is bound to be stuff everyone can enjoy. There's bop/post-bop/hard bop, Classic (1920s), jazz-rock, hip-hop jazz, swing, third stream, funk-jazz, free jazz, singer-songwriter jazz, jazz-folk, world-fusion, and much more!

Simoon likes this.
  24. David Sonnier

David Sonnier Forum Resident

new stuff:

Helen Sung “Quartet +”

Orrin Evans “The Magic of Now”

Stream those. :)

25. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

I agree, Blue Note and ECM are my favourites too. Impulse and Verve also have big catalogues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.