Jazz legend Kenny Burrell requesting help with medical bills among other things*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by C6H12O6, May 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mescalero1

Mescalero1 Well-Known Member

People with money don't always help people in need. All of your points are valid, we will have to see what today brings. There has to be an answer to this. I left a note when I donated. I got a reply back from her. She replied "So touching, Thank you!" It's hard for me to believe that someone scamming you would take the time to respond to some of the messages sent with the donations. But, there are people like that. We will see.

2. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I let GoFundMe figure it out. But I do believe someone like Herb Alpert would help out. He's known for his generosity. It seems strange that all of his UCLA colleagues would stand by as he and his wife are thrown out on the street. It doesn't make any sense.

3. Mescalero1

Yeah, where is Go Fund Me's response to this?

4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It's also possible that Mr. Alpert contributed privately.

Farmer Mike and gov like this.
  5. StarThrower62

That's my point. But according to the Gofundme story, the Burrell's are two weeks away from being thrown out on the street. It doesn't make much sense.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Here's an update on a jazz site (see also next post there): Kenny Burrell

7. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

The Jazz Times is retracting their earlier tweet... the story has been verified.

An official announcement from the Jazz Foundation of America is expected soon...

- Kevin

8. Mescalero1

I had messaged Kenny about this and Katherine responded. She said "It's real. Katherine Burrell". She probably has been through so much hell with her Go Fund Me page being questioned. I'm glad it's settled.

9. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

This is terrible news that it's true. Here's the tweet from Jazz Times:

JazzTimes Magazine on Twitter

A couple weeks from eviction, robbed and Bank of America won't return their money and what kind of Medicare plan is costing them $2,000 a month? This isn't the usual royalties-not-paid, record-company-ripoff story, not with his prestigious academic career. I wonder if there was elder abuse of some kind that led up to this terrible news.

SoundDoctor, Doggiedogma and blutiga like this.
  10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Thanks for posting. If it's a scam I'm out a relatively small amount of money by trying to do the right thing. If it's not I helped an American icon. Either way, I win, and I hope he does as well.

gov, GetHappy!!, vette442 and 2 others like this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Very sad to read this. I hope with the donations Kenny and his wife are able to recover somewhat from this situation.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  12. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Nearly $50,000 already for this magnificent man and his family. That sure is great news at least.

SirMarc, Dmann201, patient_ot and 4 others like this.
  13. jhershauer

jhershauer Forum Resident

The latest update from JazzTimes is enough for me to take on face value and donate. I just couldn't find a single source last night that made it look like somebody had directly tried to confirm the story...and with that JazzTimes warning that it might be fake, figured it was worth mentioning.

I'm glad somebody isn't trying to scam people, but I really would have preferred it be a hoax and that Kenny and his wife were in better shape than this.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  14. StarThrower62

What's wrong with the editorial staffs at some if these publications? They have to blurt out something before they have the facts. It's always a race to be first. Jazz Times caused a lot of confusion casting doubt before they could positively confirm this story as true or false.

15. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I gave my small contribution. I have seen him many years ago with Jimmy Smith. Nice memory!

SoundDoctor likes this.
  16. Joel Cairo

It certainly didn't help...

I'd also bet there's some fast shuffling going on at Bank of America, with regard to freeing up some of the Burrell's frozen funds. This kind of publicity isn't what you want to see on social media.

- Kevin

17. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I actually wish they could get some legal help to take the bank to task. A similar thing happened to my mom (for way less money) and Wells Fargo stiffed her until her friend helped her threaten legal action and then they finally gave her back the stolen money.

StarThrower62 and SoundDoctor like this.
  18. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

19. bresna

bresna Senior Member

May 10, 2019

A STATEMENT FROM THE JAZZ FOUNDATION RE: KENNY BURRELL GOFUNDME CAMPAIGN

The Jazz Foundation has received many inquiries over the past 24 hours regarding the legitimacy of the GoFundMe campaign for Kenny Burrell.

We would like to assure anyone concerned about Kenny that this campaign was indeed created by Katherine on his behalf.

Musicians close to Kenny have been in touch with him directly to confirm his situation, and the Jazz Foundation has been in contact with Katherine for months.

We operate with the utmost respect for client privacy and confidentiality, but given the questions that have come up, Katherine has kindly given us permission to share this information.

Kenny and Katherine had been dealing with this situation alone for several years, because, as always, musicians are proud and self-reliant and do things on their own. They did not even contact us to ask for help but were referred by friends.

The Jazz Foundation assessed the case, conferred with other helping organizations, and reviewed documents attesting to the financial need described in the GoFundMe post.

We couldn't possibly cover the full scope of the need, and other sources of funding were explored, including a GoFundMe campaign, given how successful and lifesaving they have proven for fellow musicians.

As we can see in this outpouring of love for Kenny and Katherine, it has worked.

This is a painful but inspiring example of what we see every day at the Jazz Foundation.

Many of our legends do not have a partner at home to help them. As we see here, even when they do, the Jazz Foundation is needed to give emotional and financial support. This is why the organization exists, and we handle 30 emergency cases every day.

Katherine wished to share these words with everyone who has given their kindness and support over the last day:

“Thank you to everyone at the Jazz Foundation and those who have responded with loving thoughts, prayers, and generosity. Kenny and I are overwhelmed by the compassion, support, and love of both friends and people whom we do not know, but revere his music. Even simple acts of caring and prayer are deeply appreciated during this difficult time, but the generosity in others’ hearts is far beyond anything we could have imagined. The outpouring of love and support, as well as the words of admiration and respect he has received through the campaign have tremendously lifted his spirit and touched his heart. It is my greatest joy to see his expressions, including tears, as he realizes he is respected, cherished, and loved beyond his comprehension. It is a deeply moving and humbling experience, challenging though it may be to expose ourselves and ask for help. Our deepest and heartfelt gratitude for your support, love, and light."

We applaud Kenny and Katherine for the courage it took to share the details of their crisis. It has opened up a world of such goodness and generosity, which they so richly deserve.

Yours in service,
    Joe Petrucelli Executive Director

Wendy Oxenhorn Founding Director
    Alisa Hafkin Director of Social Services

Steve Jordan Artistic Director

MisterBritt, Tord, Man at C&A and 8 others like this.
  20. Joel Cairo

Damn hay fever... seem to have something caught in my eye while I was reading Katherine's statement...

- Kevin

gov, MRamble, blutiga and 9 others like this.
  21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

[Moderator note: GoFundMe links not allowed by forum rules]

I sure wish that an exception would be made just this one time...

Jimijam, Stunsworth, Jvalvano and 2 others like this.
  22. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

The bizarre thing is this thread was stickied just yesterday with the link.

23. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Thanks OP for posting this.

More than $66,000 (and counting) in one day. My faith in humanity is renewed. :hugs:

24. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I think persisting to keep mentioning Bank of America as part of this appeal would put pressure on them to revisit their decision to squat on their money.

action pact and mmars982 like this.
  25. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I feel weird saying that I am glad this is legit. I mean obviously I wish it was fake and none of this was actually happening, but at least now they will reach the goal very soon i am sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.