Jazz: What made you like it ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yesternow, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notgoblin

notgoblin Habitual Linestepper - not dancer

Drummer Joe Morello, playing on Dave Brubeck's Time Out.

Admerr, Tim 2, Lonson and 2 others like this.
  2. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

This is great! Thanks for sharing. I'm loving that you had Alice Coltrane's music and no idea that John existed. Not many people have walked that particular path! :)

Panama Hotel and Yesternow like this.
  3. You're welcome. It's mostly due to chance. The early 1970s offered a wide latitude for listening opportunities on the radio that's never been surpassed. For me, that made for quite a lot of serendipitous acquaintance with various musicians and musical styles.

The liner notes inside the gatefold of Journey In Satchidananda provide brief observations by Alice for every tune on the record. Her comment for the composition "Something About John Coltrane" doesn't even mention that he was a musician.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  4. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I usually listen to jazz in the mornings. To me it's like warm comfort food early in the day. I'm not ready for rock until after lunch.

Yesternow and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  5. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

In 1973-74, my college had concerts by Return To Forever, Weather Report, and Mahavishnu Orchestra. I was hooked and eventually made my way into the more "traditional" stuff.

Lonson likes this.
  6. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

John Coltrane.

Lonson likes this.
  7. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

It's like being way into the plastic ono band and then later you find out the nice singer guy had a previous group ;)

8. Another funny thing that happened around then: not long after I purchased Journey In Satchidananda, I read a review of the record somewhere. And the reviewer digressed into going on and on about how Alice Coltrane's late husband John Coltrane was the greatest saxophonist ever, and one of the most awesome musicians in history. And I'm reading it and thinking to myself: "Oh, John Coltrane was a sax player? Sounds as if he achieved some recognition in his day. But this is really some over the top raving...isn't the reviewer laying it on a little thick?"

Little did I know. Nothing did I know.

Stu02, bluejimbop, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Story of my life

10. Nothing like jazz on a Sunday morning.

:laugh:

That made me chuckle.

JeffMo, Lonson and Mugrug12 like this.
  11. Dapper Zoom

Dapper Zoom 私以外私じゃないの

To be honest, I'm not really sure when or how it happened for me. I remember being a young musician into rock and pop, but every once in a while I'd hear another musician talking about some jazz album or player. So I figured I *should* get into jazz, but didn't know how.

I remember buying a bunch of random jazz cassettes from my local music store (I did the same with classical) and I really tried to listen to them and even got familiar with some of the tunes, but I really wasn't into it. In hindsight, I think I just didn't have the proper listening skills.

While I was into bands like the Dead Kennedys and the Clash, I was also impressed by the technicality of guitarists like EVH and others. I think this appreciation of musicality eventually led me to jazz fusion...that might have been the moment it clicked.

Nowadays, I usually *don't* like much of the jazz/rock fusion as much as I appreciate 'normal' jazz.

Yesternow likes this.
  12. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Hearing "Sleigh Ride" by The Ramsey Lewis Trio! Everything about it is just perfection. I still spin that album every Christmas; the whole thing is great!

bluejimbop, Chazzbo13 and Yesternow like this.
  13. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

During my college years in Philadelphia (early 1980s), I worked in a retail book store, and Sunday mornings tended to be a little slow until the neighborhood "woke up". Though I gravitated mostly to tuning the store radio to the local album rock station, one morning a co-worker suggested one of the city's jazz stations instead. It was definitely a revelation (probably Temple U's WRTI), and never argued when we turned to jazz stations more and more often.

Admittedly, my tastes don't run real deep, but I enjoy the usual suspects: Miles, Coltrane, Brubeck, MJQ, Blakey, and Dizzy...but my toes will always long to tap out some Basie, Goodman, and (perhaps an odd choice) Jonah Jones, who I discovered with a handful of minty LPs bought at an old library book sale. Always willing to try different things, and forums like this definitely help.

JeffMo, Lonson, bluejimbop and 2 others like this.
  14. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yup, that's one of the all time best.

notgoblin likes this.
  15. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

* Through some convoluted business arrangment, my dad’s office had an endless subscription to Down Beat. He would bring them home so I could salivate over the musical instrument ads. That meant that I was exposed to Jazz player’s names every month, even though it was all Greek to me.
    * Santana led me to drumming on every surface all the time. Shari Smith, God Bless Her, the girl that sat in front of me in 11th grade French class, instead of saying “Would you cut that out!”, said “If you like Santana, you should listen to Airto” The die was cast.
    * My high school sweetheart’s cousin set out Miles’ Bitches Brew for us to have a listen when he wasn’t home. I put on Spanish Key (Santana ... ). It was too advanced for us and yet ... I felt something burrow deep inside me to resurface later.
    * Saw Herbie’s Mwandishi band at The Boarding House in SF with my runnin’ podnahs. The music was cool. The musicians were cool. We felt cool. A line had been crossed.
    * The early 70s was a great time for radio in the Bay Area. KSAN was a pioneering Free Form Rock station that cruised far afield. KDIA was our Soul station with cool DJs, The Blue Note Hour on Sundays after Gospel. KRE was the perfect blend of Jazz & Soul. And KJAZ was “THE Jazz Station”. Thanks to two marvelous radio personalities, Jerry Dean and Dick Conte, I felt welcomed into the Jazz world and became one of those people that “knows their $#!+”
    * Cruising the stacks at the local library, I found the book “From Satchmo to Miles” by Leonard Feather. My life was changed. I was now a card carrying, lifelong Jazz Fan.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Mugrug12, Stu02, Lonson and 4 others like this.
  16. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Improvisation and virtuosity.

Lonson and Yesternow like this.
  17. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Coltrane made me like it

Lonson and Yesternow like this.
  18. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

skills and soul, and in 'soul' I would include guys like Lee Konitz who wouldn't be caught dead overtly emoting - but that's who he is, so that's his 'soul'. And just the huge numbers of players who found their own voices on their instruments, from Bix to Ayler.

Mugrug12, Lonson and Yesternow like this.
  19. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

My good taste, of course!

Lonson likes this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In 17 pages, has anyone mentioned marijuana?

21. StarThrower62

Many jazz musicians smoked it long before the hippies.

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

And of course, cannabis was discovered by humans ages before the 1920's.

23. StarThrower62

Yeah, but they didn't swing, daddy-o!

Tribute and Jazzmonkie like this.
  24. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

This is a great question. I think a lot of it comes from reading magazines like Rolling Stone when I was very young. Either rock bands were mentioned in conjunction with jazz artists, or new jazz releases were included in reviews. I like "legitimate" music - (sorry, that's vague, but it's meant to honor people who have studied an instrument for a long time and can play it in a living room or a street corner) - so I always knew that jazz music was out there waiting to be discovered and delved into. Jazz/rock fusion was a big deal when I was young, so when you hear Jeff Beck playing a song written by Charles Mingus, it's natural to be curious about the source material. (However in this case I think I discovered "Goodby Pork Pie Hat" before I heard Wired.)

Yesternow likes this.
  25. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

Also, in the 70s we had at least one "free-form" FM radio station that would play some jazz tunes as if they were rock songs, especially if they were protesting or referencing pot use. Specifically I'm thinking of Les McCann and Eddie Harris "Compared To What?" and Champion Jack Dupree and King Curtis, "Junker's Blues."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.