Jazzis Web Shop News 03/2008

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Jazzis, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident Thread Starter

CD

It’s great to see the wonderful French small label Soleil Zeuhl back with not one but four new releases. Here is the first of those:

BBI – “BBI”

French trio BBI recorded just one album before the members moved on to other projects. The members were guitarist Laurent Imperato (ex-Xaal), bassist Philippe Bussonnet (Magma, One Shot) and drummer Jean-Claude Buire (ex-Offering). The album is quite similar to the instrumental Jazz-Rock Fusion guitar oriented music played by One Shot, driven by the superb bass lines played by Bussonnet. The music is highly energetic and improvised, with the guitar performing some wild pyrotechnics. The repetitive rhythmic patterns and the intensive sound of the French Zeuhl school, developed by the Magma camp, are of course the foundation, but this album is definitely more Fusion oriented that any of the Magma albums. Three of the six composition present here, written by Bussonnet will appear later in reworked form on the first One Shot album three years later. Magma and Zeuhl fans will jump on this album, but it is recommended to all listeners who love guitar power trios. Thanks to Soleil Zeuhl one more gem from the French heritage has been rescued from oblivion. The music was mastered and restored by the Israeli sound wizard Udi Koomran.

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?item=102488

JAZZIS WEB SHOP

Normal activity.

HAVE FUN!

2. Jazzis

Please note that I received yesterday a shipment form the fantastic Frech Soleil Zeuhl label, which includes their 4 new releases made available last month.

All 4 albums are absolutely stunning and they will be sold out really soon, so please don't delay your orders.

Also please note that the older Soleil Zeuhl releases are now out of print and are nowhere to be found. I have in stock copies of Dun and Potemkine, but in very limited quantities - don't say I didn't warn you ;)

Here is a direct link to the SZ releases:

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?label=soleil

Have Fun!

3. Jazzis

CD

It’s great to see the wonderful French small label Soleil Zeuhl back with not one but four new releases. Here is the second of those:

Rialzu – “U Rigiru”

Only album by French band Rialzu, one of the very few Prog groups active in the 1970s on the French Island of Corsica. Considered an ultra rare collector’s item for many years, here it is for the first time on CD with some bonus material. The members of the band combine elements of Symphonic Prog, Magma influences and Corsican folklore into a very interesting musical blend, creating a Prog gem. Although mostly instrumental, the album also includes some vocal tracks, sung in the Corsican language. The original album included only 3 tracks, two of which are extended compositions 16 and 11 minutes long. This reissue adds two live tracks recorded by the group before the album was recorded and a short video clip taken from a live show – all together a great reissue. The music is very original and quite different from the French mainland efforts at the time, which makes this effort quite unique. Kudos to Soleil Zeuhl for unearthing this lost gem and making it accessible to us all. Recommended!

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?item=102489

JAZZIS WEB SHOP

Normal activity.

HAVE FUN!

4. Jazzis

CD

It’s great to see the wonderful French small label Soleil Zeuhl back with not one but four new releases. Here is the third of those:

Setna – “Cycle I”

French sextet Setna, led by drummer Nicolas Candé, who also composes all the music, is one of the most interesting new ensembles on the local scene. After a couple of years of buzz and anticipation, their debut album is finally here and it was well worth waiting for. Fronted by a superb female singer Natacha Jouët, they deliver some great music here, which combines Prog, Jazz, Ambient and slight Zeuhl influences, creating a magic atmosphere. The music is basically a long suite, divided into parts, but meant to be a continuous piece of music. Two keyboards players (one playing moog and both playing the Fender Rhodes – one of my favorite instruments with a immediately distinguishable tone), soprano saxophonist and a bass player complete the lineup, but they also employ four guest musicians on some of the tracks. The closest musical association would be Soft Machine (at their best) with female vocals. This is definitely one of the best debut albums I’ve heard recently and one can only hope they will continue whatever was started here with future surprises. There is something here for every lover of good music so I’m not confining my recommendation to any specific genre, just grab it and enjoy! A great addition to the splendid Soleil Zeuhl catalog as well as any decent record collection.

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?item=102490

JAZZIS WEB SHOP

Normal activity.

HAVE FUN!

5. Jazzis

CD

It’s great to see the wonderful French small label Soleil Zeuhl back with not one but four new releases. Here is the fourth of those:

Amygdala – “Complex Combat”

2nd album by Japanese group Amygdala, which took the world by surprise with their debut album, a few years back. While they were only a duo on their debut album, here they have expanded the lineup to a trio and even added a guest soloist on some tracks. Formed by keyboards player Yoshiyuki Nakajima, who also writes all the music, and guitarist Yoshihiro Yamaji, they added the French drummer Daniel Jeand`heur (One Shot) and as guest musician another Japanese keyboards player Kenichi Oguchi (Kenso) to create a massive and complex sound. The result is truly remarkable and although a demanding listening experience, full of incredible performances and musical magic. People who loved their debut will of course be delighted by this new effort, and those who so far never heard them should do so ASAP. Stylistically the music covers Jazz-Rock Fusion and Zeuhl, but also a lot of other ground. Rather than try to classify one should listen with an open mind and let the music speak for itself. I doubt if anybody, who seriously likes serious contemporary music, could stay cold to this. A must for Zeuhl fans of course.

https://www.jazzis.com/shop/default.asp?item=102491

JAZZIS WEB SHOP

Normal activity.

HAVE FUN!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.