JBL 28s indoor outdoor.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lenny99, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free. Thread Starter

I got a pair of the above for a bit over $200. I think they'll do a good job with my back up system. Or, I'll give them to a family or friend.

What do u think. Are they ok,

2. Lenny99

Hi:

Are u guys/girls being nice? Are those terrible speakers? I'm aware of their primary use. I just wondered what you all thought or etc.

I was told by a tech they will produce good, warm sound especially with an 8" bass.

Any way, it's already a done deal. I'm excited. I've always wanted JBL speakers. Most are out of my price range.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  3. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

Good for you brother. Hope you like them.
    JBL / Herman doesn't make bad stuff. You can be sure you got a price competitive speaker.

Lenny99 likes this.
  4. Lenny99

Thanks.

5. Lenny99

I own and use a pair of Klipsch RP160MS. I'm wondering how they might compare.

6. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

I bet these sound great. I love the Control 1, and my Outdoor Speaker Depot 8" woofer speakers share a close design, and they are excellent. JBL almost never disappoints.

Lenny99 likes this.
  7. Lenny99

Thanks.

The Klipsch for sound great. I wasn't looking for speakers. The JBLs were a deal.

8. Lenny99

The JBL Control 1 28s are scheduled for my front porch tomorrow.

I think I'll bring them in my main room and switch them with my Klipsch to get a comparison. It should be fun.

BTW, how does one ID the JBL Control 1 28s when typing?

9. Lenny99

I just received the JBLs. They look great for used/reconditioned. In fact they look new.

I'll prob not get to them till later. I'll make a review/report.

Thanks for the help.

10. Lenny99

So far the Jbls are doing a fine job. I've placed them on the stands, moving my Klipsch to the rear on the ground.

I now have them on the floor in front of the Klipsch which sit on the stands. This is a very pleasant arrangement as the JBLs have an 8" woofer. Great tight base.

Comparing the JBLs to the Klipsch has proven to be difficult. The Klipsch have a superior high end, but maybe too bright. The JBLs are great at the low end. I suppose that's when Klipsch would suggest a sub. Lol. Imaging is too close to call.

I'm moving them around, experimenting and having a blast.

Classic Car Guy and Ntotrar like this.
  11. Lenny99

Last night my wife and I listened to several Dean Martin Vinyl, an Air Supply Vinyl, and The several vinyl by The Who. I then streamed some Elton John songs.

All four speakers did a great job. I might leave them at the last mentioned position; here JBLs on the floor in front of the Klipsch on the stands. That seems to provide the right combo of sound for us.

12. Lenny99

[​IMG]

This is where things stand.

black sheriff and JackG like this.
  13. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

Uh oh, JBL relegated to the floor.

Are you using your amp to run A + B?

I'm not following....

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Out of curiosity, what is the exact complete model number? A search finds 2800, 28-1, various similar model numbers.

15. Lenny99

Yes. I'm now running both sets of speakers through the a A + B switch.

The JBLs sound great on the floor. I'll probably look into a buying a small floor stand or make something myself.

16. Lenny99

They are listed on the JBL site as control 28- 1. I think they are the largest in that line with an 8" woofer. Before and after purchase I brought them up with a Google search under JBL control 28-1

I saw 28- 5 etc, but the pair I have are the 28-1.

Most of the Muscian/DJ stores carry them, but i think they are now discontinued. I saw them on the Sweetwater and B & H sites.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  17. Lenny99

I meant to go on, but hit "post reply" in error. So.....

Nothing is settled, but as of now the setup in the pic I supplied is what I'm using. I'll prob move them around etc, but as u can tell I have limited space.

18. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Lenny - would like to see bigger photos. My eyes ain't what they used to be, and they were never that great.

Ntotrar likes this.
  19. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

- Place the JBL on stands and position optimally.
    - Put Klipsch in storage closet.
    - Listen to JBL for a month (give it a fair shot).
    - Retrieve Klipsch from closet and swap a month later.
    - Determine which speaker sounds better and which one sounds like hiny to your ears now. Use hiny speaker as garage/deck speakers, etc or give it to the mother in law.

noway, Ro-Go, black sheriff and 3 others like this.
  20. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I agree to try out the above advice. From my experiments over the years I think it's fun to run two speakers at once but it's rarely the best option sonically, and not always best for the amp either. Some say blending of various drive elements is the art of speaker design, finding two full speaker systems that work together is an even harder task. Usually the two speaker experiments left me sonically frustrated and fatigued, and I always ended up going with one or the other.

Especially agree to give it time to compare. With any "new to me" speakers I've got to give my head a little time to adjust to the FR and quirks compared to the sonic memory I had of the older speaker / room interaction before I can begin to evaluate which is better. And even then it's not usually so black and white, but only one can live in my room at a time!

Lenny99 likes this.
  21. Lenny99

At the present I'm busy with various other issues. I'll get some bigger pics asap.

JackG likes this.
  22. Lenny99

This sounds like very good advice.

Sometimes I develope too much brand loyalty ie as with the Klipsch. They were my first true audiophile type speakers. And I love the look. Not that any decisions are hard wired within my hard head. But what has been suggested seems the only true way to decide on one pair.

My first impressions were the JBLs had better bass and slightly better imagining. The Klipsch were brighter, almost too bright. But, those are initial impressions.

I'll implement your suggestions in the near future. I'm eager to get started.

Thanks.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  23. Lenny99

[​IMG]

Hope this works.

24. Lenny99

I hope pics similar to the last one I sent works for you. I have issues with the transfer process.

Sorry.

JackG likes this.
  25. Lenny99

Yep. Running 2 simultaneously seems to sound cool. I was able to power a pair of Polk T15s with a pair of Sony's CS5SS. It took a while, but I finally got good placement to avoid phasing issues. I thought they had a nice sound.

Overall, I think when using 2 pairs of speaker, the system plays louder. Thus maybe a result of the new Ohm rating. And, that maybe why they seem to sound better. However, poss phasing issues are always a concern.

In fact, somewhere I remember reading about a possible problem that may occur when an unused speaker sits close to a speaker that is hooked up to an amp. Somehow the unused speaker's cones respond to the air that the wired up speakers push. This may case phasing problems.

I'm unsure how much of a problem will result from this issue. Its that type of problem that intrigues me.