JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Maybe in the slightest. That is the aspect I am trying to evaluate at the moment. Certainly less cabinet resonance than the Klipsch so that is probably why I am discerning a bit more 3rd dimensionality.

2. SKATTERBRANE

Klipsch crew are better furniture makers, that is for sure. Nothing special about the finish on the JBLs.

3. My refurbished originals 1975. Downstairs second office rig.

For illustrative purposes only :tiphat:

[​IMG]

4. SKATTERBRANE

I would suspect the originals have nicer finished cabinets.

5. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Interesting that you say that. One of the YouTube audio reviewers (Andrew Robinson, perhaps?) did a comparison between the JBL L-100’s and the Klipsch Heresy. And one of the things that he pointed out was, after some time, the JBL’s were starting to show some cab wear. The Heresys, however, were holding up very well, and appeared to have better cab workmanship.

I’m on a mobile device, or I’d go find it on YouTube to link.

6. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Actually if you read the comments section to that video you will see the speakers were originally damaged right out of the box...so the veneer issue was there since day 1. I didn't know that either till somebody pointed it out to me. He shouldn't have mentioned that issue in the vid

7. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I call BS on that. I’ve had mine since they came out and they look exactly as they did when they arrived. Later when I mentioned it on his comments, his wife chimed in that they arrived that way. Or they fell while unpacking or something.

Eigenvector and Monty12 like this.
  8. Fruff76

Didn’t see you mentioned this already

9. SKATTERBRANE

Not a fan of Andrew. I know many are. His reviews pertain to convenience, aesthetics, features, and mid-fi pa-zaz. He waffles and really does not inform. He goes out of his way to not offend His ego enters the room well before the camera is turned on. But hey, that is just my opinion.

Monty12 likes this.
  10. Fruff76

My first impression when I got them was that they’re ok. After a few days or so I started to love them. Now I like them better than any speaker I’ve ever had.

11. Fruff76

I stopped paying much attention after the nonsense about the JBL veneer.

Monty12 likes this.
  12. SKATTERBRANE

Well since these are demos, I suspect they are broken in. So I am not expecting any performance changes. But, I can see the possibility that they will grow on my psychologically.

Fruff76 likes this.
  13. SKATTERBRANE

Whenever I am in a better mood than I can stand, I watch one of his mugging for the camera consciously metering his syntax style reviews. He comes from the school of William Shatner acting.

tom1040 and Monty12 like this.
  14. SKATTERBRANE

Even with his limited command of English, this guy actually informs me about the SOUND of a product and the pains he goes through with combining the proper electronics and speakers to get the most out of them:

15. Fruff76

I do enjoy his presentations.

Pythonman and Monty12 like this.
  16. SKATTERBRANE

Yep one reviews stuff, the other reviews sound.

Monty12 likes this.
  17. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

I don't want to derail this thread...i just think the comment about that guys ego is 100% on the money.

Please carry on.

I would love to audition a set of L100's. That 12 inch woofer looks solid

18. SKATTERBRANE

It is not easy to find a way to actually audition equipment these days, even pre Covid19. It is quite a risk to buy. But I think these J100s will be okay. But, just because I like them does not mean you will. All the reviews in the world really cannot make up for one's personal experience.

19. Fruff76

Totally agree with this statement. That’s why I say in my room, with my setup, they’re the best sounding speakers I’ve had. No contest. That doesn’t mean everyone will encounter the same thing. Based on my experience, I know their potential.

20. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Can’t stand him.

21. Yes we all get used to our own speaker sound

Fruff76 likes this.
  22. SKATTERBRANE

Yes, I think that is what sometimes is mistaken for "break-in".

russk and Fruff76 like this.
  23. Fruff76

Exactly!

24. SKATTERBRANE

Okay this is in the context of L100 as compared to Forte I and/or Forte II. Where they are most similar:

Dynamics: Even though the Klipsch has a 98dB sensitivity to JBL's 90 (some measured closer to 91.6dB) I really do not think it plays into dynamics in this case. I have a 100 watt Threshold S200 amp which is Class A up to 25 watts. I really doubt if I ever play music over 85dB anyway, and more likely in the 70-80dB range. Each speaker is capable of "jump scares" or macro dynamics galore.

Scale: They both have a large soundstage. I really cannot discern much difference in this area, but more on that later.

Bass extension: very close, very similar. Both impressive. But I always say a subwoofer benefits most speakers, and these are no exception.

Both speakers are far from forgiving on bad recordings! Both are very revealing.

Late night listening: The Klipsch are well known for excelling in keeping dynamics and excitement at lower levels. The L100s have no problem here. Both speakers are fun and exciting.

I just do not play my music at rock concert levels. I do not "party". So I cannot comment on either speaker on the strengths or weaknesses in this area.

Okay now differences and so far all are in the L100's favor:

The L100s are much less boxy. They more easily disappear. I hear less cabinet artifacts.

And because of this the instruments do not "breathe" up and down in scale as the frequency changes. I HATE when an acoustic guitar seems huge in the lower register but shrinks down to a tiny toy as it is play up the scale. Often the Klipsch causes this effect. The L100s don't seem to so far. (this effect also happens with some tube amps).

I think the L100s also do "timbre" better than the Klipsch. Probably because the upper frequencies are smoother on the JBLs in addition to having less boxiness.

Do they image and have as deep a soundstage as the ProAc speaker I've had? No, but better than the Fortes. (the worst Klipsch heritage speakers I have ever heard were Belles).

Imaging: I can locate the instruments in the soundstage with less mental gymnastics on my part. The center image is more stable.

The L100s are less shouty and beam less. The sweet spot does not require I keep my head in a vice.

Upper range "air": The highs are smoother and more integrated with the fundamentals. Neither speaker has that artificial "sizzle" but the JBLs seem more natural.

Eigenvector, Fruff76 and russk like this.
  25. SKATTERBRANE

Oh I forgot to mention. I have seemingly settled on the tweeter at factory settings and the midrange at 12 0'clock. (most music has a super abundance or midrange crowding and congestion). Also the grilles are ON.

Fruff76 likes this.