JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I have a pair of 4311b speakers, purchased for $200 (for the pair) from May Company as a closeout around 1981. (Yes, May Company used to sell stereo stuff). Still going strong. Turn them upside down and put them on stands and they sound very good.

hi_watt likes this.
  2. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I have ZERO experience with the new L100 Classic, L82, or L50; however, my circa 1986 L100t3's, as well as L20t3's still satisfy, no issue with noise or "sub par transient response". In fact, those concepts are so foreign to my experience it makes me wonder about the credentials and motivation of the reviewer who assigned these attributes to the L100 Classic? At any rate, the bottom-line is ALWAYS listen first then buy. I did and thus had no doubt that the L100t3's were exactly what I desired.

MC Rag likes this.
  3. automojo

automojo Forum Resident

Yep I agree.
    "Noise" IMHO is extra audible stuff not part of the signal-that's not a pleasant addition.it's a generic term.
    Whatever speaker works.
    Myself-never been a fan of BR, especially 60-70's BR.

Sterling1 and C.Ludwig like this.
  4. Square Hammer

Square Hammer Forum Resident

Love those speakers

5. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I continue to appreciate my L82's. They just keep delivering an evenly-keeled, synergistic engagement with whatever I play through them, at every volume.
    I recently tried my hand at REW (Room EQ Wizard) using the suggested calibrated UMIK-1 microphone and again came away crediting the L82's with the surprisingly decent frequency response I measured in (what I consider to be a sonic mess of) my acoustically untreated listening space.
    This room is a hodgepodge of not-so-great acoustic elements. i.e.; 2 sliding glass doors totaling 20 linear feet of undraped plate glass, tile and carpet flooring (on slab), a smooth drywall ceiling at 7'8", a large leather sectional couch, a flat screen tv hung off-center between the speakers, a kitchenette off to one side, an open hallway and staircase, my Rythmik L12 sub placement is based on available and least annoying floor space, and the L82's are up on a 16" hearth on aftermarket stands (IsoAcoustic Aperta 200's) within mere inches of that "front wall". Not ideal in many ways. Oh well! I have 2 young kids and a wife that I'm usually happy to share this space with and am grateful for what is still an enjoyable space for all of us.
    All those numbing details aside, I was fairly pleased to see that my in-room frequency response from 20Hz - 20kHz wasn't atrocious.
    [​IMG]
    Sure, it could be better (this is smoothed to 1/6), but I was expecting much worse- all variables considered and all.
    I enjoy what I hear, and after many days of many hours of listening to a wide variety of LP's I've never felt fatigued by the sound. I'm pretty surprised because when my kids start trying to talk over each other and the kitchen fan is whirring it doesn't take long for my ears to start trying to fold closed.
    I'm just saying, I think the L82's deserve a major pat on the back for their ability to deliver an engaging, cohesive, and balanced sound in less-than-ideal circumstances. I'm loving them more and more.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Harris11235, Gizmo90, SunSon and 3 others like this.
  6. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

I just saw the new JBL L50. Seems similar to my L20t3’s, which deliver in spades when paired to my sub. In other words, they deliver an L100 like performance. These new L50’s seem like a great idea too for a relatively small space.

Monty12 likes this.
  7. onemug

onemug Forum Resident

Agree! I've had mine for 2 months now and enjoy listening to them every morning.

I'm glad I don't listen to 'specs', if I did I would probably have passed on them. Every 2 way I have enjoyed was crossed over around 2.8 khz. When I saw that these crossed over at 1.7 khz I just didn't think they would be this good. Kudos to the JBL/Harman engineers... nicely done.

Fruff76, aunitedlemon and Monty12 like this.
  8. cbucki

cbucki Forum Resident

Just ordered a set of the L100 Classic-75s. Picking-them-up tomorrow.

I went from JBL 4429>L100 Classic>L82>Harbeth Super HL5+>L100C-75 over a 2-year timeframe.

All were very good product; I probably would have stopped at the original L100 Classics but I didn't care for the aesthetics after a little time. I always thought the sound was fine, so if things have been slightly improved these should be extremely nice. I was certainly tempted by KLH, but not when I saw these 75s. I'll provide some photos and early impressions after I get set-up.

I knew these would have to be had. Just love the looks.

9. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Please post a review and pictures. This thread fizzled out without delivering the goods: JBL L100 Classic 75 arrived today

10. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I’d confidently put them up against that competition.

11. Fruff76

What a stupid comment. So this amateur DIY can outperform one of the most well equipped testing and measuring facilities in the world. One of the largest available budgets possible for development and a team of some of the best engineers in the field. Not to mention over 7 decades of experience. Keep dreaming poser.

Monty12, Alright4now and C.Ludwig like this.
  12. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Oh, your poor ears...
    Just kidding. I'm already jealous of those 75th anniversary L100's. I'm very impressed with the sound of my L82's and feel I chose wisely. On the other hand, I really wish they had dual sets of binding posts (like yours will!) because I enjoyed bi-wiring my previous speakers and would do it to these in a minute if they had the posts to support it.
    Out of curiosity, and not to start one of those conversations, but where are the L100-75ths made? My L82's are Indonesian.
    Please post some pics!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  13. automojo

automojo Forum Resident

Really?
    Funny....
    The JBL's fine-but not THAT good-IMHO of course-I've heard them-along with hundreds of speakers over my many years of life.
    Everyone has their taste....
    Glad you like them...
    Seems like a lot of this thread is other convincing themselves...as well as yourself.......fairly obvious.
    I have heard your speakers...more then a few times. lately....you have not heard mine.
    You have zero clue....zip
    Talk about stupid comment!
    Usually, people that comment on things they don't know about could be called posers...-want a be's whatever...
    Seems to me---it's the Fruffer pot calling the kettle black!!

14. Fruff76

Yes really. In fact, I’d confidently put them up against higher priced competition too.
    There’s nothing in my comment that I don’t know about.

15. automojo

automojo Forum Resident

Oh I'm sure......sure thing.
    We all know about people who are convinced they know everything without actually experiencing specifics....most intelligent people avoid that.
    Whatever works......

16. Fruff76

Like you

Sterling1 likes this.
  17. shakesomeaction

shakesomeaction ‘s what i need

You guys have no idea what yer talking about; my soeakers spund the best!

automojo likes this.
  18. automojo

automojo Forum Resident

:)
    I agree!!!

19. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

What you got bored over at AK because no one there was interested in your Frankenstein speakers. Must be a tough sell if they don't even like what you cobbled together on the cheap DIY.

So you come here to thread crap?
    Your totally off topic.

Strat-Mangler, Gumboo and Fruff76 like this.
  20. automojo

automojo Forum Resident

DIY?
    Cheap?
    Clueless… no clue at all about this hobby
    Nor about AK that’s fairly obvious…
    You know what they say about people that make lots of assumptions….
    I could say that you’re one of those guys that buys his way in, but why would I do that? I have no clue, nor could I care less…
    Frankly I could buy 10 pairs of those JBL‘s and not even bat an eyelash, what does that prove?
    Whatever….
    I’ll post as I please, state my opinions as I please…just as you have.
    If you don’t like it don’t read them!!

21. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Fruff76 likes this.
  22. automojo

automojo Forum Resident

It’s 427
    He buys his way into Audio heaven!!!!:)
    I’m happy for you
    You’re entitled to your opinion as I am mine
    I’ve been on a.k.a. long time, being a member of the year
    That’s not for me…I am what I am
    Like it or not…
    But I’ve certainly help lots of people with my speaker projects
    No doubt about that…
    Call it cheap whatever you want
    in my opinion a lot of it’s the essence of this hobby that’s where it started.. experimenting and having fun
    It’s a difference in philosophy about this hobby

(I could buy my way in
    Spend 200,000,+ , or whatever, what does that prove??
    Every one has life priorities..etc
    Making their way..
    I’ve been self-employed for 30+ years
    I make a excellent living my business house everything has been paid off for years pay cash don’t borrow
    Not that any of this matters but when people start throwing around the word cheap…..

That’s the whole reason I joined…
    DIY, hobby having some fun learning… as well as enjoying music.
    And I’m having a little fun here sorry if you don’t like it… or Fluffer….
    I’ll let the thread go back to you guys!
    Sorry for running interference… my bad.

23. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

So why don't you let people have fun and enjoy the hobby their way?
    You know exactly what you where doing with this coming here to troll and get people agitated. You jumped in to just drop a big turd and see what reaction you'd get. I could care less about these speakers or yours but you know what you did was not right and looking for attention.

And I proved you know what people make of themselves when they assume.

Anyway I'll end this with you and maybe you should head back home, since you really don't post here:righton:

Fruff76 likes this.
  24. automojo

automojo Forum Resident

Thanks for your opinions, they’ve been duly noted
    I appreciate it but I’ll continue to post as I see fit
    but as noted not on this thread.
    Sorry for the hassle.
    Thanks!

4-2-7 likes this.
  25. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

The best speakers are the ones I own....lol.