JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

I don't know. They sure lost the plot of the classic look with the orange or blue foam grills. Not something I would want to look at every day.

pscreed, Eigenvector and krambigmac like this.
  2. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Weren‘t the orange foam grills the ‚classic look‘ from the seventies?

Classicrock, Fruff76 and timind like this.
  3. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Wonder if there's going to be a white grille ? making me cold looking at them !

Fruff76 likes this.
  4. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Is this some kind of joke?

5. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

No its real, its off the Supreme sight - they do frequent partnerships with 3rd parties and brand it with their brand. Typically pretty limited editions I think?

Anyway its not for me (I'm too old and not hip enough) but it is striking... I would go for the L100 Classic or the 75th Anniversary.

krambigmac and Fruff76 like this.
  6. BPM86

BPM86 Well-Known Member

Supreme's look interesting to say the least. Just cosmetic updates? Supreme®/JBL® L100 Classic Speakers (Set of 2) - Supreme Community

Starting to think through a strategy to tame my unfortunate square room. The only good news is that it's a dedicated listening room so I can treat walls and position the speakers freely. Right now I have the 75's setup with Cardas calculations for square rooms. ~38% from the front wall. This near-field setup seems to sound best after playing around with different scenarios. However, with a small untreated room it becomes somewhat unlistenable after 30 minutes. Welcome folks thoughts on the treatment proposed on the image below (GIK alpha bass traps with diffusion in the front corners, absorption on the first reflection points and diffusion on the back wall). Room may be too small for diffusion to work properly on rear wall.

Ideation phase for now. Will be doing room measurements this weekend with REW.

Room currently untreated - IMG-9567
    Proposed setup - Screen-Shot-2022-01-13-at-8-43-24-AM

7. pscreed

OK went nuts and ordered a set of the 75th Anniversary L-100s from Music Direct.

You guys are killing me :shake:

sepsism, Monty12, Rupe33 and 8 others like this.
  8. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

[​IMG]

sepsism, Monty12, Rupe33 and 2 others like this.
  9. Fruff76

Nothing nuts about it. Probably one of the best decisions of your life. :agree:

Monty12, pscreed and Alright4now like this.
  10. Cousin Stanley

Cousin Stanley Forum Resident

Looks like I'm joining the JBL Classic L82 club, I picked up a secondhand pair on an online auction last night. This thread played a large part in my decision to buy L82s as I see a number of Yamaha amp users have enjoyed the combination. I'll be driving them with my Yamaha A-S 2100. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to buy the stands for a few months. I will also will have to rearrange my room to accommodate the stands. When I buy the stands I will also have to buy longer speaker cables so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Points that will impact it is I live in Japan and I'm on a budget.

I hope the L82s live up to the hype as my wife wanted the JBL 4309s as they sounded better in the shop when we were up in Osaka a few weeks ago. However it was pretty hard to tell as all the speakers were lined and stacked along a wall in the shop. My system is in my bedroom and I often listen to music at low levels at night so as not to disturb other family members and I felt the L82s would be better at low volume than the 4309s. I hope I'm right about that!

aunitedlemon, MC Rag, Monty12 and 5 others like this.
  11. pscreed

I hold @Fruff76 personally responsible for this :)

From one yinzer to another, thanks for your advocacy of this great speaker. I’m loving it!

[​IMG]

12. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Love that Great Day in Harlem picture so much. Greatest assemblage of geniuses since the Solvay conference.
    [​IMG]

pscreed likes this.
  13. Fruff76

That’s great! Your setup looks awesome! L100 yinzer club.

Monty12 and pscreed like this.
  14. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

my dream system is McIntosh and JBL. I'll drool over this pic for a while - don't mind me

Rupe33, Monty12, SunSon and 1 other person like this.
  15. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

Great set up but I gotta say it, your Mcintosh looks two times the weight of the table it's sitting on.

16. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

Guys, this thread reminds me that I need to post pics of my L100. I'm driving them with a Yamaha 3200. Excellent pairing imo.

I've tried the L100 with a few different amps and yeah I'm happy.

Any tips on posting pics here?

Thanks

17. pscreed

Yeah I thought about that. I did stand on the table and jump up and down before I put the amp on there. Sadly I outweigh the amp by a factor of x2.5…

Good call out though.

18. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

Lol. Yeah I'm guessing that I got the same factor of 2.5 on that amp also!

pscreed likes this.
  19. pscreed

Hey JBL L100 peeps…

Kind of a weird post because I don’t know if anybody else on the planet has this need, but anyway. We have some remodel type demo and construction going on, and I was looking around for a cover for my JBL L100 75th to keep the dust off. I couldn’t find any purpose built for a price or delivery time that fit the bill, but I found these covers on Amazon that fit well enough to meet the requirements, thought I’d share them here in case anyone else is ever looking:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F8VGOK0

[​IMG]

I only wish it had a cool JBL logo, but like I said for the price it seems like a good solution.

Smokin’, so to speak :)

Hope it’s useful to somebody, someday.

20. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Or sheets, keeps the dust and cats away.
    I thought about using tie die sheets, check out the Dead shop maybe.

[​IMG]

Fruff76, pscreed and Monty12 like this.
  21. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Would love to see how you have your JBL's placed.
    To post pics you have to first upload them to a 3rd party hosting site (I use Imgur). Then copy the 3rd party hosts provided link into the "image URL" window found in the image button in the taskbar above the chat window on this forum. It's not as awkward as it sounds once you get the hang of it.

Monty12 likes this.
  22. cbucki

cbucki Forum Resident

23. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I use
    Postimages — free image hosting / image upload
    easy to do
    Once you upload a pic just 'copy' it and 'paste' here with your comment

24. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

they should have made RED grills for these

Rupe33, Fruff76, SunSon and 1 other person like this.
  25. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

with white frames

Fruff76 and roverb like this.