JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I gave up on DIY speakers when I saw vids of large speaker builders design, test and voice there units. Thousands of hours of R & D go into each model.

AndyCC72, timind and Fruff76 like this.
  2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Tim, Have you seen the three part video for the tour of Magico and interview with Alon Wolf? It is amazing, but as you said the factory, the gear and the testing is more than anyone could pull off in their garage. :help: :yikes:

timind and Tim 2 like this.
  3. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

No I haven't seen the Magico tour, I'll try and fine it. I have watched the B&W, Sonus Faber And Revel vids. Amazing the length they go to to make things right.

Bananas&blow, timind and ChrisR2060 like this.
  4. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Another competitor, if anyone's interested to know:
    ATALANTE 5
    Left & right layouts!

5. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I've messed with the attenuators a fair bit and like the speakers best w/ them set to "0". Grills off for focused listening.

pscreed, SunSon and Cousin Stanley like this.
  6. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Has anyone seen the new JBL Classic Black Edition's for sale anywhere yet? Rumors of them shipping by end of '22 were apparently only that. I can't find mention of them on JBL's site either. Just a tease?

Mcginty2020 and Monty12 like this.
  7. Noah Davis

Noah Davis Well-Known Member

Do you have a pair? If so, the right setting is gonna be totally dependent on your room and upstream gear. The beauty is you CAN play with them and let your ears decide what's right. After a little trial and error, I found I like to have the treble knob up a bit when I have the grills on, since the grills tame the highs a little bit. They do sound clearer with the grills off, in which has case I dial the HF knob on them back a bit. Curious what you find out.

8. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

How do you like yours compared to other speakers you have had?
    I am considering another pair for fun, I have never had a JBL, so the 82s sound like a good fit potentially. It would be for a 6-8ft wide setup.

9. Arjan

Arjan Senior Member

I feel like I have to dial them back even with the grills on. Yamaha AS 2200 amplifier

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Maybe the Covid in China has something to do with production delays?

11. onemug

onemug Forum Resident

I have the L82's in my home office and really like them. I think you would enjoy them in your setup. A couple of reasons...

They come in mirror image pairs so you can orient the tweeters to either the inside or outside. Outside may work best in your "6-8ft wide setup" but you would try both and decide for yourself.

Having the 'tweeter' adjustment really helps dial them in to: Your taste.. your room (dead or alive).. your equipment.

They are an easy load on an amp. I've used SS, Tube, and SET with them.

Good luck.

12. struggler

struggler Well-Known Member

Hello guys, I audition Revel f206 and jbl l100. Love both but more JBL, that bass, bigger fuller sound. My concern I audition klh model 5 but in different shop, so can't compare. Do the double price is equal to double SQ?

Also i plan to buy Moonriver 404, 50w but very strong Amp,

13. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I've found price points to be mostly irrelevent to my enjoyment. For instance, I've heard speakers many times the L100's price that I didn't like better, or even as much. I know, I'm somewhat biased. The KLH does seem to be a very nice option though, but the only way to really tell is to spend a decent amount of time with each, and decide which one grabs you in the end.

MC Rag and struggler like this.
  14. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I highly doubt anyone directly comparing them would claim the JBLs to be 'twice' as good. The real question is how much of a premium are you willing to pay for the iconic and unique JBL design.

struggler likes this.
  15. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Guys, I do not have a horse in this race so I am not suggesting which is better. I also know that both JBL and KLH have made improvement in their drivers since the time of the originals. I started off back in the early 1970's with a pair of 2way JBL's. They had the typical JBL sound. In the 1970's I also heard many systems that had AR3's and KLH5's. Back then the difference between JBL and the acoustic suspension speakers was huge especially in the bass. FWIW, my guess is comparing JBL to KLH is still very much apples to oranges in the bass.

16. Noah Davis

Noah Davis Well-Known Member

My only other set of speakers are KEF Ref 1's (the stand mounts). Totally different beast and retail for what . . . 4x the price? That said, I love both sets of speakers for different reasons. My JBL's are in my living room with a TD125 turntable and Muzishare X7 integrated (much more about fun vibe/design/casual listening). I've got the KEF's in my basement which is more of a focused listening space. The JBL's are more fun/less critical and sound great for all types of music. I once put them in the basement and did a shootout with my reference 1's and they still held their own surprisingly well in the soundstage/detail department.

17. Deadly_Icy_Calm

Deadly_Icy_Calm Forum Resident

Has anyone been able to hear the 75th, Black Edition or new MKII L100 or L82 models that all appear to have the same "performance package" upgrades. How do they to compare with the Classic versions that are being closed out?

18. Lawrencer2003

Lawrencer2003 Musical Omnivore

All I know is that their existence led to a price drop on the legacy models got me a $400 credit from Crutchfield. I’d expect very little sonic difference to be honest. No way to audition them so I’d have to trade mine or sell em, not worth the trouble.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    Deadly_Icy_Calm likes this.
  19. Deadly_Icy_Calm

well I ordered a "B-Stock" pair and they arrived today. Brand new sealed from JBL with no irregularities I can find. Manufactured in July with very close serial numbers. Just fired them up for the maiden voyage...obviously Grateful Dead with the McIntosh amp

20. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Enjoy and let us know your impressions! Which ones did you get?

21. dusttones

dusttones Forum Resident

I ordered b-stock from music direct last year and the salesman said they are usually brand new but marked b-stock because they can't run sales on the as "new" Idk how true it was, but my came brand new as well.

22. Deadly_Icy_Calm

Orange L100's. Out of the box bass is solid with wide soundstage

23. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I am planning to do a retro 70s basement in the next year and want these for it. Should I buy them soon? Are they discontinuing production of the classic? I thought I read that

24. Lawrencer2003

Right now Crutchfield has good prices on the L82’s and L100’s. When the new models come out they will be, already are much more expensive, especially the L 100. I’d grab em now.

Just Outlaw and aunitedlemon like this.
  25. Lawrencer2003

JBL seems pretty committed to the product line, electronics included.