JBL PB12 Subwoofer - Set up w/ desktop speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by STGATX, Oct 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok, this isn't my usual part of the forum. I'm clueless with audio equipment, so bear with me if I'm asking the ridiculous. I currently have a small Logitech desktop speakers/sub combo at work, it's fine for music and it was cheap. The other day, I was gifted a JBL PB12 Power Bass subwoofer. Random things show up in our building sometimes and I'm not taking it home right now. The Logitech speakers obviously won't hook up with the JBL, since the Logitech sub is powered and wired with the speakers (at least from what I can tell).

BUT, I'm wondering, what would I need to use/get to use the subwoofer when playing music off my laptop? Could I hook up the JBL sub and set of desktop speakers? Any sort of input/output gadget that I should look for that helps with the connections for speaker and sub and audio out from the laptop?

The JBL sub has a single set of available RCA red/white plugs if that helps.

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

That sub is monstrous for a desktop setup, but since you got it on the cheap, and have the room to set it up, get a DAC to convert the files from your laptop. You will also need an integrated amplifier (most have built-in DACs nowadays) to feed a new pair of desktop speakers. No gadgets necessary to hook up everything, just a pair of speaker cables, a USB cable, and an RCA cable to get the signal to the sub.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.