Jean-Michel Jarre anounced Equinoxe Infinity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yost, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

The full track here:

2. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not” Thread Starter

… but blocked for my country. :cry:

julotto likes this.
  3. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

Jarre is one of the few artists where I never know if he is a genius or a deceiver. Maybe both?

4. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

I think he has proven he is capable of creating melodies with rich textures of complexe sounds. Yes he has produced some mediocre works as well, but that's true for every artists (and not only when it comes to music)

5. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

I think the same question has been asked of both Maurice Ravel and Erik Satie. Musicians like this are just ahead of the curve - and they keep things interesting!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  6. Yost

IMHO he is a *commercial* artist. I like most of his studio albums, and I like that he tries new stuff, even if it turns out to be not very interesting. But I stopped buying the live album after every studio album, the DVD of every tour and the once-in-every-five-years compilation album. :shh:

julotto and The_Windmill like this.
  7. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

maybe, but it's a little weird

8. The_Windmill

A marketing genius, for sure.

julotto likes this.
  9. The_Windmill

Oh well, I was never buying them in the first place :D

10. Yost

You should buy the Concerts In China album, though. Absolutely classic Jarre, and a couple of great new songs. :righton:

11. The_Windmill

I have that of course. (Unfortunately not the hyper expensive first German pressing, that has a smoother and flatter mastering.)
    And Houston/Lyon with the full versions, which I think is a Jarre highlight.

Yost likes this.
  12. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Sounds like a cross between Equinoxe and Rendezvous.

13. Yost

The Cities In Concert one from the 10th Anniversary box set? I agree it’s good too, but basically the only live album that I play (very) regularly is the CiC album.

PS. Does the red face CiC have a different mastering from the rest of the early pressings?

14. The_Windmill

1) No, the remaster. I've heard the one from the box only once.
    2) Yes. I should find my old notes but basically the redface is a flat transfer. Everything later up until the white border remaster should be the same transfer with harsher EQ. Some minor difference in some Dreyfus (less low frequency cutoff) but basically the same.

Curious thing about China: differently from you, I don't like it as a whole. Specifically, I don't like the new versions of studio pieces (safe the Ouverture and Magnetic Fields IV). Once, just for fun, I edited out a single disc version with only the new pieces and cutting out as many chinese intros as possible (for timing and flowing reasons, I like them actually) and... surprise!

Side one
    The Overture – Arpegiator – Fishing Junks at Sunset

Side two
    Orient Express (without intro) – Laser Harp – Night in Shanghai – Souvenir of China

Not only the two suites did fit quite well the length of an hypothetical LP: it was a totally stronger album (to me of course) and a better listen overall.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    mikaal, johnsiddique and Yost like this.
  15. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Would a browser with proxy options help? I sometimes use "Epic": www.epicbrowser.com which currently has 8 different countries to choose from.

ispace, Yost and The_Windmill like this.
  16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Concerts in China is the album I loved by Jarre although I was disappointed to discover that “Fishing Junks In Sunset” is an arrangement of an existing Chinese piece rather than being written by him.

He's a very talented guy but I feel that from Rendezvous onwards his music was just a soundtrack for his big concert events rather than a thing in itself.

Yost and RockAddict like this.
  17. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Unfortunately I'd bet it's the exact same mastering, because the vinyl doesn't have a "Vinyl mastered by" credit but rather just a generic "Mastering: David Dadwater for Yakuda Mastering 2016" which is the same as the CD. The DR database isn't accurate for vinyl and I've seen it add DR5 difference to titles I've confirmed with the mastering house and artist's management were mastered from the CD-DA files.

I'm not discounting your opinion that it sounds better, only that the DR database isn't a reliable source of information and that the mastering appears to be the same from the album credits.

The_Windmill likes this.
  18. Yost

Basically I have an opinion about something I actually listened to and did comparisons with. The vinyl does have more air around instruments and sounds more dynamic than the digital version. Whatever you’re mastering acquaintance says. And whatever the DR database lists.

I also own modern vinyl that sounds exactly like the digital files, so I experienced that situation too. But this is not the case with Equinoxe 3 (or Electronica 2).

19. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

The subject was Oxygene 3, non?

I did not discount your opinion that it sounds better
    , only pointed out what we know to be factual about the release. You cited the DR database to support your opinion, if that wasn't your intention then then you posted in an odd fashion. I'm not sure who my mastering acquaintance is but the person I referred to in my post is the mastering engineer for Oxygene 3. Maybe I'll see if he's available to comment.

The_Windmill likes this.
  20. Yost

Yes, Oxygène 3. My mistake.

21. The_Windmill

Mr Jarre, reading this thread: "Equinoxe III, not a bad idea..."

22. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I will be happy if my CD is the grass one. The music will be good either way, but I am not a fan of the orange cover.

23. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

A short new interview about Equinoxe Infinity. In French but subtitled in English.

Hedin likes this.
  24. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

Robots Don't Cry (Movement 3)

formu_la and ispace like this.
  25. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

Infinity (Movement 6)

Hedin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.