Jean-Michel Jarre anounced Equinoxe Infinity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yost, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

Interview in French:

ispace likes this.
  2. DesertTwang

DesertTwang Well-Known Member

OK, so I'm a big fan of JMJ, but am I missing something about this box set? From what I gather, it consists of a vinyl repressing of his original Equinoxe album, plus that same album on a CD, and the new Equinoxe Infinity album, also on vinyl and CD. I love the artwork, but given that I already have the original vinyl edition of Equinoxe (can be had for $5-10 in any used record store), I don't see a need for the repress, and I also see no reason to own both a CD and vinyl edition of the same album. So in essence, I'd be paying $70 for one new album with some cool artwork. I'm not convinced why I should spring for this. Seems like a small amount of new material hidden in a bunch of recycled stuff.

drum_cas and ispace like this.
  3. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Vinyl available as stand alone. No need to buy the box.

Yost and DesertTwang like this.
  4. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

The Infinity track start reminds me of Music For Supermarkets. Has that techno pop feel to it, like we are in the 89’s.

Robots starts like EQ but then changes. Overall none of these video leaks sound like EQ to me. Not like how Oxy 3 sounded like the original Oxy.

With a different sound and song names, I do not know why he did not use an original title.

5. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

6. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

To sell more.

efegarcia and klockwerk like this.
  7. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Interesting thread. Loved and bought Jarre in the past, but after 'The Complete Oxygene' I swore off buying him, because of poor sound quality. Way more instrumental electronic releases than I can afford to buy anyways, with great DR.

ispace likes this.
  8. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

Hey guys, FYI, the album is available on YT.

I have had my first listen. So far I have mixed feelings. The first few tracks 1-4 work well together (I really like the Watchers), but it starts to get a bit fuzzy afterwards. I am not big fan of Movement 6 or 8 (Infinity and The Opening, respectively). Movement 8 is actually a track that is called Coachella Opening (check YT).

I will definitely need to listen to the whole album several times more before I can make more serious assessments, but overall, the second part of the album seems rather underwhelming. The last track being the most elaborated from the second part of the album!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  9. California Couple

I'm glad that "Coachella Opening" was made into an official track.

Listening to the short samples, the middle section sounds more like Teo & Tea. The Wind seems more like an intro to Infinity, which then morphs into Machines.

One can hear the samples here:

https://www.amazon.com/Equinoxe-Inf...albums-bar-strip-0&keywords=Equinoxe+Infinity

Not sure what to make of this album yet but I sure am going to buy it and play the heck out of it. Though $24 is a lot for a single CD!

10. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I just listened to the hi-res download and liked it. I agree it meanders here and there but overall I thought it was enjoyable. Next time I think I will listen to the "continuous mix". I think it probably works better without breaks.

11. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

It's a great opener.

Pipi3 and marblesmike like this.
  12. Séamus Mc Donnell

Séamus Mc Donnell Well-Known Member

Anyone listen to the 24bit FLAC version?
    Worth it?

13. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

14. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not” Thread Starter

I listed to it on Apple Music last Friday. I’m a big Jarre fan, but most of this album does nothing for me. And calling it a sequel to Equinoxe is only marketing, IMHO. There’s hardly any reference to the original in sound, groove, melody and quality.

I saw the vinyl in my local record store on Saturday, and left it there to make someone else happy (or not).

Mbe likes this.
  15. California Couple

I like what I hear, but it does not sound like Equinoxe II. Jarre says this new one is one of his favorite albums. He liked making it so maybe he will make another.

Krzysztof Maj likes this.
  16. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I think there are passages, sounds, and melodies that harken back to Equinoxe but I'm a casual JMJ fan so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

17. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I got vinyl today, and I actually like it. Much better than expected. And vinyl sounds quite good. I do hear some echoes of Equinoxe. Movement 6 doesn't fit the album very well, I think.

RockAddict likes this.
  18. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I agree 100% although I'm still waiting for my vinyl from Europe.

19. Krzysztof Maj

Krzysztof Maj Forum Resident

Well, I will listen to the whole album, but a bit surprised seeing DR7 for that: Album details - Dynamic Range Database It could be much, much better in case of dynamics IMHO! Second, high resolution downloads I see only in 24/48, which is to me strange as well, because such electronic artist like JMJ could definitively afford the 24/96 very high resolution recording to deliver the best of the breed. Anyone, I am casual JMJ fan, but I will give him a time to listen to and judge by myself ;-)

20. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Short answer: he couldn't care less about both issues.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  21. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not” Thread Starter

With the DR’s he is mastering towards, even 16/44 is overkill. :realmad:

Riccardo2 and RockAddict like this.
  22. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

It's fair to say that Monsieur Jarre has very much embraced the concept of "loudness" for Equinoxe Infinity and the 50 years double CD :yikes: . When EquIn drops in price to less than £5, including P&P, it may end up in my collection. Until then, nope.

Krzysztof Maj likes this.
  23. California Couple

I ordered my CD today. There was no option on the cover, guess I will get what I get.
    Just wondering if anyone got the CD version, and what the digipack actually looks like?
    Or what does the gatefold of the vinyl look like?
    There is a piece of art which shows computer screens, that must be in the red cover.
    The green must have a similar piece of art, right?
    And why no cassette version if the 50 Year set came with one?
    Maybe no one bought the cassette. I am surprised they still sell them.

Also Jarre has short notes for each track on his site, like below, which I am guessing are not on the album.

Equinoxe Infinity - Jean-Michel Jarre | Official Site
    [​IMG]
    THE OPENING

“I first composed this track for this album, before I played it at the Coachella Festival in the summer of 2018 : I thought that this piece would be a great opening-track for my festival-appearance and for my US-tour. Actually, that led me to work on the live-version before I recorded the studio-version with a different approach. So, both pieces are related to each other, but they are not exactly the same. For the studio album I went back to my original idea, which is kind of a momentum where a huge gate is opening onto something & somewhere else – Watchers opening doors onto virgin territories, the future being virgin territory for us. ‘The Opening’, was never meant to be the opening for the album but more as a passage to a next stage.”

24. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I heard the track "Robots Don't Cry" and was very impressed, looking forward to hearing the rest.

25. California Couple

Did not mean to post such a BIG picture, but I do not know how to make the image smaller.

RickH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.