Jeeps and Macintosh

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kjasonl, May 27, 2022.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've seen recent prices of higher end SUVs and trucks. So I'm well aware of the prices. Still think it's insane. No Jeep including the Wagoneer will ever be worth over $100k in my mind.

2. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I guess in general I just don't see the point of really high-end audio systems in a vehicle. You just need a basic and fun sound system that's loud enough to overcome road noise.

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not in my area, This Jeep is Mall Rated. If it's not Windrock Park Rated, it will be winched out and repeatedly. Needs something loud and unrefined (which befits Stellantis SUV). We needed a brand new Chrysler Imperial (coupe based on a 300) for this system. Done right, a proper application.

jonwoody likes this.
  4. Kjasonl

Kjasonl " I'm on a low budget" Thread Starter

Well, one thing's for sure. Car audio has come a long way. I still remember instantly replacing a stock anything push button mechanism radio with a Kenwood, Pioneer, etc dual shaft tape deck out of necessity. Not the case today. Jeep had AM stereo for awhile.

jonwoody likes this.
  5. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Owned a 1974 CJ-5 ragtop with V8.
    Nothing would have sounded good in that thing.

poe_man, Kjasonl and jonwoody like this.
  6. Kjasonl

Kjasonl " I'm on a low budget" Thread Starter

Yeah, but it was fun!

samurai likes this.
  7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I'd buy two more modestly priced rides for different applications, like say a pickup for errands and a comfy sedan for touring.

8. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

McIntosh made a full line of car audio gear - head unit; a wide range of 2-, 4-, and 6-channel amplifiers; and component speakers- in the 1990s and early 2000s. It was top-tier gear and priced accordingly, and the gear remains highly regarded among car audio enthusiasts who pursue sound quality (as opposed to bass). A clean, unmolested example commands top dollar

if I had room in my car (1995 Porsche 911) I’d run Mac amps.

Uglyversal and Kjasonl like this.
  9. saveourwater1299

saveourwater1299 Active Member

Pioneer is not common for radios to allow two phones to be connected at the same time with a single cable, and this is how the Pioneer AVH-X2800BS impresses customers. The radio is equipped with a new type of touch screen that displays more vivid colors and improves touch sensitivity when responding.

10. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

11. CKDC

CKDC Forum Resident

Who said it was a high end system?

Just because it has a particular name and costs a lot, does that make it so?

FWIW, my VW has a “Fender” audio system. BFD. I guess it sounds better than a non-Fender system but it still is not great. (I had a Nissan with a Bose stereo and it actually sounded pretty good… until it broke.)

12. dover1968

dover1968 Forum Resident

Agree. Can't even wrap my head around $108k for a jeep. I would lie awake at night wondering WTF did I do!!

Bill Mac likes this.
  13. dover1968

dover1968 Forum Resident

I believe I can hear the lass standing on the rear bumper calling my name.

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Just like at home, a better sounding system is more enjoyable. And some vehicles have gotten pretty quiet-maybe quieter than many people's apartments/condos. Plus your vehicle is for many the only play you can turn it up loud enough to really listen.

Having said all that, the obsession with advertising more and more speakers, and 16 cm (6 inch) "subwoofers" does not help the sound much. I've heard a number of the expensive systems and nothing super impressed me. Wasted opportunity. The only one I really like was a Nissan Armada with I was told a Rockford system, now THAT had some BASS.

If I was still in that business I'd push for 3-way fronts only (because rear speakers are stupid if you don't have true surround sound) with a center fill and at least like a 10" subwoofer. Then again at one point BMW was telling me they wanted subwoofers under the seat (a terrible location to load the low frequencies; up in the footwell is far better) because they wanted that to become a "BMW thing." Like their customers had even a shadow of a clue :rolleyes: