Jeff Beck: Still on the Run-BBC4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Disc 1:
    Beck's Bolero [Mono B-Side version, Truth expanded edition]
    Rock My Plimsoul [B-Side version, Beckology]
    Shapes Of Things [Truth]
    I've Been Drinking [B-Side, Truth expanded edition]
    Jailhouse Rock [Beck-Ola]
    Rice Pudding [Beck-Ola]
    Situation [Rough & Ready]
    Ice Cream Cakes [Jeff Beck Group]
    Going Down [Jeff Beck Group]
    Definitely Maybe [Jeff Beck Group]
    Jizz Whizz [Beck Bogert Appice, Beckology]
    Freeway Jam [Blow By Blow]
    Scatterbrain [Blow By Blow]
    Cause We've Ended As Lovers [Blow By Blow]
    Led Boots [Wired]
    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat [Wired]
    Love Is Green [Wired]
    Blue Wind [Live With The Jan Hammer Group]

Disc 2:
    The Pump [There And Back]
    Star Cycle [There And Back]
    People Get Ready [Flash]
    Savoy [Guitar Shop
    Big Block [Guitar Shop]
    Where Were You [Guitar Shop]
    Django [John McLaughlin, The Promise]
    A Day In The Life [George Martin, In My Life]
    What Mama Said [Who Else!]
    Angel (Footsteps) [Who Else!]
    THX138 [Who Else!]
    Another Place [Who Else!]
    Nadia [You Had It Coming]
    Suspension [You Had It Coming]
    Plan B [Jeff]
    Hammerhead [Emotion & Commotion]
    Never Alone [Emotion & Commotion]
    Loaded [Yosogai E.P.]

laf848, GoodKitty, Tuco and 7 others like this.
  2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Excellent PacificOceanBlue, thank you very much :goodie::righton::cheers: (its going take me a while to build this, George Martin I have and also Emotion & Commotion I bought for the wife a while ago for the Imelda May tracks so at least that is a start)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

There was clip of Jeff playing Cause We Ended As Lovers on his Telecsster (YouTube tells me that Japan 1986). I would love to buy an older show like that on Bluray!

I have also enjoyed his Montreux 2001 show clips on YouTube with Jennifer Batten on guitar, that would also make a great Bluray. Hope someone from Eagle Rock is reading this :)

4. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Just for fun... at age 70:

Bass: Rhonda Smith
    Drums, Percussion: Veronica Bellino
    Vocals: Ruth Lorenzo
    Guitar, Producer, Writer: Jeff Beck

"A-ha! That's Ruth!"

[​IMG]

MungoMusic, ruben lopez and DJ LX like this.
  5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is the mastering like on these sets are they 'brickwalled' anyone know ??

6. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I love Jeff Beck's music: he covers so much ground, even in just one song.

I dug out Guitar Shop immediately after watching the documentary last night: it, and Blow By Blow, are enthralling albums.

7. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

It was nice to see that him and Jimmy Page are still really good mates after all this time.

8. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Just go buy 'Truth'. It's some real down and dirty blues rock. Still think it's the best I've ever heard Rod Stewart sing. If you want to go back to the beginning then you can check out The Yardbirds but in my opinion it is 'Truth' when he first shines. After that you can check out some of the other Jeff Beck Group albums. Once you get to his solo stuff that is when he really steps it up and becomes the Jeff Beck that we know and love today. There is a Jeff Beck album called 'Live from Ronnie Scott's'. The footage that you saw from last night with Robert Plant and Co in the audience was from that very show. I think he is at his very best there. He does a bit of everything. Both albums can be bought for a pretty decent price.

laf848, Maidenpriest and allbrosca like this.
  9. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

In my opinion Wired is Beck's absolute peak. I also really like Beck-Ola, There and Back, the Jeff Beck Group's s/t "Orange Album," and You Had it Coming. Live + is a decent live document (with a couple of bonus studio cuts). I've always felt Truth and Blow by Blow to be somewhat overrated, although they both include some undoubtedly great moments.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

I do not think "Blow By Blow" can be overrated. It is a tremendous fusion album, with tasteful, melodic, and fiery playing presented throughout the album. It is a product of its time, and while it may not be Beck's best album, it is a perfect album.

Comet01, laf848, Jim Walker and 6 others like this.
  11. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I don't remember if the provenance of these specific box sets were ever discussed on this forum. And I've never heard them. But if I may speculate a little...

There are similar package releases for Mahavishnu Orchestra, and they contain then-most-recent mastering, and sound great. On the same label (Sony/Columbia/Epic). And that was discussed on this forum. I'd bet the same policy was applied here, probably mastered by Vic Anesini, who did most Becks. The catalog was remastered maybe 10 years ago*, and the individual titles I have sound fine.

*Probably not including the 3 most recent titles. Had It Coming might be a touch hot.

No brickwalling in any event. Most Beck recordings up to the 90s or 00s are fairly well-engineered. Modern titles have surrendered to loudness like everyone else.

Assuming these boxes are $25-30, these are no-brainers, imo.

12. PacificOceanBlue

Haven't seen this documentary yet. Beck is a favorite, but I still have not acquired the DVD/Blu-Ray as of yet. Does the documentary dive into the JBGII at all? Did any of the '72 Beat Club footage make it? Any other interesting footage from the vintage years?

This would have been the time to finally open up the archives, both in terms of footage and audio. A nice audio archival release would have been an appropriate tie-in.

All Down The Line likes this.
  13. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

There was a brief clip of "Definitely Maybe" from Beat Club.
    I'm pretty sure there wasn't any unseen footage used in the doc, but they did use some great clips such as the original JBG studio footage.

14. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

IMHO, the live tracks from 2007 Montreux are worth the price of the disc!

All Down The Line likes this.
  15. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I’ve been on Jeff Beck trip all weekend after watching a masterclass performance from him in Chelsea on Friday. Gosh, the man continues to defy his age and played a stunning gig, an absolute tour de force!

So I am gonna have to pick up the Still On The Run Bluray and add those Montreux bonus track to my collection. But seriously, would it have been too much for Eagle Rock to include the entire gig? Charge a bit more or sell a deluxe version for the fans who want it.

I watched the Ronnie Scott, Tokyo and Hollywood Bowl blurays over the weekend. While Ronnie gigs will always be special, my current favorite Tokyo while HB comes distant third. Jeff always finds great rhythm sections to play with and Rhonda/Jonathon combo is awesome in Tokyo! Their cover of Mahavishnu’s You Know You Know is my track of the weekend, they did a great version of this in Chelsea too.

While most of the Tokyo tracks (not same performances) were released on Live+ album, the track Yemin (which I love) was only released as exclusive on vinyl. Does anyone have this track ripped from either Tokyo DVD or Live+ vinyl? It’s missing piece that I really need and would very much appreciate your generosity :)

marmalade166 and Rufus rag like this.
  16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Blow By Blow - The instrumental fusion debut and his greatest lp
    Truth - Torching Blues Rock with Rod Stewart and creating the blueprint for Led Zeppelin.
    Yardbirds Greatest Hits - Lays down the foundation Stones of his invention and technique.
    Live At Ronnie Scotts - A peerless live display documenting most facets of his career and showcasing his unique whammy bar and harmonics modern day genius.
    Tons more to get but this is a solid all around start!

laf848, Maidenpriest and Rufus rag like this.
  17. All Down The Line

Superb list!
    A few juicy extras:
    Shapes of things - Yardbirds
    Mr your'e a better man than i - Y
    Happenings ten years time ago - Y
    I ain't superstitious - Truth
    All shook up - Beckola
    Plynth - Beckola
    Got the feeling - Rough and ready
    New ways, train train - R & R
    Highways - Orange album
    Going down - BBA live in japan
    Jeff's Boogie - BBA. " " " "
    U know what i mean - Blow by blow
    Come dancing - Wired
    Slingshot - Guitar Shop

His edgiest live cd by an absolute country mile?
    Official release Bootleg 2006!!!!!!!!!!

Maidenpriest likes this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

Came across this Rolling Stone interview from May during Beck's promotion of this documentary:

Jeff Beck Talks Eric Clapton Rivalry and What Motown Taught Him – Rolling Stone

Beck is entertaining and insightful as always. An interesting item is that he stated he recently remixed the live BBA album and that it sounds "pretty good." Whoever would have thought he would have revisited those tapes, let alone spent the time remixing them?

Comet01, laf848, gd0 and 4 others like this.
  19. All Down The Line

Read the whole thing, fascinating and i thank you.

20. PacificOceanBlue

Just watched is documentary again. It is well done for what it represents -- a general life and career overview. The word general is the key, because there are a number of periods, projects and personal relationships that are bypassed and omitted completely. Clearly this project was not designed to emulate something more in-depth like The Beatles Anthology, rather, this was an opportunity to present Jeff Beck to the public, to explain and describe his brilliance as a pioneering guitarist. And there are certainly some nice interview segments with not only Jeff, but his friends and colleagues. Rod Stewart is particularly enjoyable and insightful. It is not essential, but definitely recommended.

21. All Down The Line

Yeah i just have to get used this and with the bonus Montreux 07' cuts which i believe are on the Blu-Ray only?
    Anyone have comments on the Beck 60's doco 'A Man For All Seasons? "

22. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Never liked Blow by Blow coz there is too much jazz in this jazz/rock album. There and Back doesn't have as much of the jazz sound and is a better balance for my ears so i love that album.
    Love Guitar Shop, Who Else and You Had it Coming.
    Jeff was kinda ok but nowhere as good as the previous two.
    The following album was ran outta ideas imo, not my cuppa at all.
    Also don't like the female singers he teams up with sometimes. He has a great haircut though.

23. All Down The Line

You didn't like Wired either?

24. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Oh yeah, i forgot about that one! I liked it more than Blow by Blow, love Led Boots of course. Still have it but haven't played it for ages, i'll check it out again, thanks.

25. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I'd love Giles Martin to remix Blow By Blow, and Wired: they were produced by George Martin, but remain great albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.