Jeff Beck - Truth - Original Master Recording SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter Needham, Nov 20, 2020.

1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Epic did have some great artists in the day.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

Well MFSL WAS planning an LP release of "Truth", AAA 2 disc 45rpm 180g stereo mix. It was NEVER announced (and I get email announcements all the time from MFSL and Music Direct). I had to call Music Direct and ask for it even to find out it was coming for pre-order, which I did on May 14. But it was never shown on either the MFSL nor Music Direct websites, not until finally last Friday when an email came from MFSL "Now shipping!". First ever announcement of ANY kind. And when I went right to the website it already said "Sold Out". So I called Music Direct Saturday morning and they assured me that my May pre-order was still good, but sold out before release for everybody who didn't pre-order early enough like I did. It arrived today, No. 217 of stated 5000 copy limit. Maybe they are still holding back X number of copies to service defect returns, or maybe not, meaning maybe a few copies may become available after return windows expire, or maybe not.

So I guess from now on I must call Music Direct (same ownership as MFSL) periodically to see if there any other secret unannounced releases coming just in case, maybe every time I change my HVAC filter, which would cover six times a year. Either that or accept being madder than hell that I didn't pre-order a secret to die for title early enough to assure getting one. Yet another step backwards in the evolution of the record buying experience, at least for new stock. Sad.

3. Peter Needham

Peter Needham Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, this is a terrible way to do business, Thanks for letting us know. I will now look for it.

4. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

At some point they are going to get overwhelmed with people calling in to ask about undocumented releases, and someone will say, "Hey, how about we, like, put this info out to the public instead?"

JakeKlas and wayneklein like this.
  5. bruce of oz

bruce of oz Forum Resident

Had a chance to listen to this yet?
    Would love to hear your thoughts.

6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I posted on the MoFi One Step thread as well. Got the 2LP 45 version (#257) yesterday. My system is listed in my profile. Keep in mind I have had this record since it was originally released and it is indeed a favorite of mine, and besides Jimi, he is my favorite guitar player. There are some disclaimer notes on the inside gatefold as to minor issues that they did not want to mess with as it would have altered the overall original recording. For those not overly familiar with this record, it is on the raw side a bit and very Bluesy, but to hear his guitar sing like this is quite special. I'm hoping for a serving pf "Rice Pudding" down the road...

I'm could not be any happier with the way this sounds. The soundstage is very wide, but it works well, allowing Jeff Beck's magic to swirl around and sound badass as can be. I got it for $44.49 (10% off) and ever so impressed. Afterwards I played a couple of my One Steps, and I asked my wife if she could tell much difference in a $45 record compared to a $125 one. Not really was her answer and I happen to agree. Now I will say that I do have some One Steps that do sound better, but I'm talking about titles like the Mingus "Ah Um". When you crank this it just delivers an awesome bite! I was able to order another copy for an Xmas gift from AS yesterday before they removed the listing...

Months back on the One Step thread I gave a shoutout that you need to call them and place over the phone, as I did for several other titles being released in the future.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    hi_watt and jgrillo like this.
  7. weaselriot

My thoughts are exactly as one would expect, certainly the best STEREO of all vinyl versions I have ever had back to my first in late summer 1968. For stereo, it beats not only my 2013 EMI from EU, but also my US Epic original from August 1968. In addition to the sonic gain from increased tracking speed, subtraction of IGD helps the original end of side tracks even more. Well done, and no complaints at all.

However, as I played it, I could not escape thinking "if only MFSL done this in MONO". Especially since MFSL already HAS done "Surrealistic Pillow" in MONO to nearly universal acclaim. Maybe they will.

scotti likes this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

9. moomoomoomoo

I. Don't. Think. So.

10. bruce of oz

Thanks weaselriot and scotti greatly appreciate for your feedback on this. Greatly appreciated.
    Don't know how I missed this since I bought the original in '68 (and numerous reissues) and is still one of my 5 desert island discs.
    Oh well.

11. bruce of oz

Bit of an appreciated double up there. Should have been , "and loved your reviews".

12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

That's insane! You can still get this for around $200, but even after hearing this version, I would not spend any more than what a One Step costs...And that disco Foo Fighters is fetching $250, who in the world would pay that kind of money for a release like that?

Since it's a true mono, I would really like to see them do this that way as well. We would lose the way the guitar is presented but would no doubt be treated to one heck of a bottom end. If they got the soundstage right, this could really sound sweet. If I had to choose between stereo and mono, I would go with the stereo.

bruce of oz likes this.
  13. weaselriot

Well, I do have the Sundazed mono, Kevin Gray cut QRP pressed. That mono smokes, so imagine 45rpm mono of same from MFSL. Still, I will always keep the stereo as well because it was all I ever knew for decades.

scotti and bruce of oz like this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

Anyone hear from Mofi as to when this SACD will be back in stock in the usual places? I had it in my cart at Acoustic Sound for a few weeks now, waiting for it to be in stock, but today it was pulled from their site entirely!

TheHypnoToad likes this.
  15. moomoomoomoo

16. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Well I guess we know who all the successful buyers are.

I don't think it has ever been in stock at any of the usual places, only at mofi.com.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Kinda seems like Mofi doesn't want to sell SACDs. Their new Alan Parsons SACD is also sold out everywhere.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  18. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

It's still "awaiting repress" at Music Direct. I have it back ordered at MoFi. Hoping I'll actually get it.

19. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

Must be more to the story, 5K copies. There is no way "Truth" would be sold out before MoFi even announces it. This would be a first (?)

Rigoberto likes this.
  20. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Yep. I got that e-mail today too (for the vinyl). Sold Out upon arrival.

I already have the SACD (both the Mofi and the AF).

21. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Just ordered the Mofi SACD on Discogs for about fifty bucks - so you can still find it if you look.

Now when I get it, I'll see if I like it better than the Audio Fidelity disc - which is gonna be hard to beat. Would love a mono SACD now.

22. weaselriot

Mono? Absolutely!!

23. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

what? I would have sold you one of mine for less.. I have 3

How much does it cost to sell on disco hogs?

24. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

Have you compared the Mofi and the AF SACDs?

25. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Don't know. Go to Discogs and find out.