Jeff Gutt is Stone Temple Pilots’ new lead singer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Really? I thought he sounded good. Im curious to see live performance video and stage presence. I’m glad stp is still going.

Vinyl_Blues and Zoot Marimba like this.
  2. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I’m really on the fence about this. I’ll reserve judgment until I see a live performance and hear some new music. I’ve always said it before, if the artists wanna continue on using a band name, that’s their right. We as fans vote with our walllets. We can make the choice to go see them or not.
    I wish them luck. They better come out with some strong music and I hope Jeff has star Power and some originality to him.
    Scott Weiland was one of a kind and there will never be another like him.
    Alice In Chains took the smart route imo, but that’s a different case because Jerry is a great singer in his own right, so in a way he kind of slipped into the frontman role with Wil Duvall as more a team player kind of guy. STP won’t be able to do it like that.
    Anyway only time will tell...

3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Fair enough if they want to do this...but don’t call the band Stone Temple Pilots.

4. ModernDayWarrior

I’m with you on this, but they’ve tried it already with Talk Show and Army Of Anyone and those bands didn’t really go anywhere, which is a shame imo as they both had strong albums. I guess they feel like STP has that brand name that’ll fill seats. IMO this may backfire on them though. They’re walking a very fine line.

5. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

6. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

Sounds a lot like Weiland, may be OK live

The new song sounds good, better than anything with Bennington, AOA or Talk Show IMO. the new album may be a nice surprise

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Nice Marmot and mikedifr0923 like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

8. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

He certainly sounds like he will able to handle the songs well enough, good enough voice. I'm sure an album would be good provided the songs are there.

The problem is that they are sticking with the STP name.....which means on stage he is going to be compared to Scott, which is going to be tough.....I always thought of him as the "anti-90s" frontman that stood out from the rest of those in that era. He was a rockstar on that stage when most weren't.

I wish him luck and success. I'll certainly listen to see how he does.

9. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Yeah, I really do wish these guys the best. I'm kind of iffy on using the STP name, but I'll still give the album a fair shake, just like I'm not big on using the AC/DC name, but if Angus and Axl are indeed making a new album, I'll give it a fair shake. And I will say the new song is pretty good.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Damn, I KNEW I should have auditioned! I didn't know they'd take anybody! :laugh:

11. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Yep.... guys.. guys, drop the name & if you’re really any good without Scott, as I’m sure you think you are: then reinvent yourselves as something else.
    This is going to turn embarrassing for a once mighty band

richbdd01 likes this.
  12. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Re-listening to Talk Show now after...at least a decade since the last time. It's not bad. Pretty good even. I'll give this guy a chance.

13. ModernDayWarrior

I always thought the Talk Show album was pretty underrated. Had that album been successful they probably would have still been together to this day.

pexie, Hep Alien, Rocketdog and 2 others like this.
  14. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I'm hardly a hardcore STP fan but the two songs posted above don't sound any worse or much different then they ever have, to me.

15. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

I heard an interview on Sirius XM this morning with the band and Eddie Trunk. They had received tens of thousands of audition tapes and narrowed it down to 40 and then somebody recommended Jeff Gutt so all the work they did trying to find a new singer went by the wayside. They played a few songs that sounded pretty good. I don't blame the DeLeo brothers for trying again under the STP name because truthfully not may people know who they are. Scott was bigger than life so this guy has big shoes to fill. Some bands can survive without the main lead singer around but just survive, not sure if the time has come and gone for STP even if Scott was still around.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

it sucks for the deleos to not be able to play the music they wrote anymore because scott couldn't get off the drugs. i love scott and i love stp but just shut it down and save whatever scraps of dignity the band has left. you wrote some of the best songs of the 90's but its over now.

17. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

In situations like this I always try and walk a mile in the shoes of the band members who are left behind when a singer dies. What a conundrum. What the heck are they supposed to do? It's such a difficult position or situation to be in. Are they supposed to just sell their drum kit, or put the guitar in its case under the bed, and never play it ever again? I mean what do you do? It has to be a terrible and rudderless feeling, and a whole range of emotions, I'm sure. There really is no easy answer.

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I was never that into STP, but Weiland is not replaceable for the purposes of that band. I get that they want to work and that they can get a lot more mileage out of the STP brand name than without it, but one suspects this could be a lot like INXS which is largely irrelevant with out Hutchence.

19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

2 tracks sound good......probably pick up the album when it comes out.

and what's with the "shouldn't keep using the name" nonsense"??

Iron Mainden - 3 Singers
    Van Halen - 3 Singers.
    Anthrax - 4 Singers
    AC/DC- 2 singers and a guest high pitch hyena

The names a brand (oh how corporate and not very rock 'n' roll)and unless the brand changes significantly.....ala Motley Crue when Corabi joined.....then go for it....good luck to them.

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That would be Jeff Butt:laughup:

21. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Black Sabbath - 4 singers

23. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

Jeff Gutt would be great in a cover band of STP at a club. But trying to pass himself as the real deal, as the replacement to Scott Weiland? Not quite. He's a second rate version of Scott, and with him at the helm the band loses the extra edge they had with their once great frontman. I get why the band is doing this, but I'm not interested.

P.S. The original members of the band still sound fantastic!

BDC likes this.
  24. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

This kind of sums up how i felt with the release of each STP album after Tiny Music... It felt like i was the only person i knew that even cared at all anymore that the band still existed.

And as much as i dug the Talk Show album, it felt more like the rest of the band giving Scott an ultimatum to clean up his act, than a project they were willing to pursue if he didn't get it together. I mean, they could have put the album out under the STP name, but i don't think they honestly wanted to go that far.

Anyway, I'll probably check this out when an album comes. I balked when Alice in Chains announced a new singer. I thought it was a horrible idea. Then, i heard the results. And i dig both albums they've made since! Honestly, i wish they'd get a new one out! Lol.

Hep Alien and Cyberhog9 like this.
  25. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Pink Floyd...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.