Jeff Gutt is Stone Temple Pilots’ new lead singer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I read up on that while I was listening. The guy isn't even in the music biz anymore. He got sour on the deal (which happens) and it sounds like he gave up on the whole scene. Sad, because he has / had a great voice. I've never listened to any Ten Inch Men, but I'll probably search them out a bit now.

Hep Alien and ModernDayWarrior like this.
  2. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

They were equally dull with or without Roger....so the brand was left intact.....

3. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Syd was a lot of things, but definitely not dull.

4. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

5. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

my thoughts exactly.

Hep Alien and Zoot Marimba like this.
  6. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

More than that -- they've had five on albums:

Ozzy
    Dio
    Ian Gillan
    Glenn Hughes
    Tony Martin

And three more that never had any recordings officially released:

Dave Walker
    David Donato
    Ray Gillen

Nice Marmot likes this.
  7. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

STP fan here, but on the general point of having to rename the band when the lead singer departs/dies...

I disagree. All STP fans know Weiland is dead, so it's not like false advertising. And are lead singers really the only ones who get the suggested treatment? Did the Rolling Stones drop their name when Brian Jones was fired? Mick Taylor quit? Bill Wyman retired?

By the same token if a band chooses to break up because they don't want to or think they can't continue without a departed member, that's up to them.

I think that covers it.

8. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I was never a huge STP fan but found myself in the company of Dave Coutts on a couple of occasions while living in Long Beach, CA. My wife had been acquainted with his wife just before all this Talk Show stuff happened. I vaguely recall a couple of dinner parties and nights at a local bar with them. We went to the Hollywood Palladium to see Talk Show open for Foo Fighters. He was a nice guy, mellow guy, but I definitely got the feeling he knew this gig wasn't going to last.

Hep Alien and snipe like this.
  9. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Maybe it's not fair, but people associate most songs with a certain person's voice. If they are sung by another singer who has a different voice, it's not the same. No two people have exactly the same voice so when you have the songs sung by a different singer, it sounds far more different than if you have a different guitarist, drummer etc.

Personally, I find it okay to continue with the same name if the original singer dies , but not if they just leave or the rest of the band gets in a fight with them. Because then you can have the odd situation where the original singer would be touring singing the band's songs with another band in competition with the band with the original name which would be confusing.

10. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

In my opinion, as a huge STP (at least of the Scott era), the new song sounds kind of dull even though it does sound like the original band. Of course the DeLeo brothers were mostly in charge of the music and that's why it sounds like something from their 5th album, but I'm not a fan of the new singer. Replacement singers usually tend to either sound nothing like the previous singer or is a close imitation, I guess such is the case for the latter in order to allow the band to perform the classics so it sonically resembles what the audience likes to hear, but such band needs to accept the fact that their prime years are way over now and if they want to keep the STP name most people are going to expect the classic rock band from the 90s playing their beloved songs, and the band must accept that, even if they get a new singer.

The problem with the new singer, in my opinion, is that he doesn't fall on either of the aforementioned categories. In other words they hired a singer that falls between sounding a lot like Scott (he sounds a lot like him, maybe except for a few notes where he sounds like any other decent singer) and a lead singer that would leave a mark as a new member and not to be seen as only a replacement; which again, is very hard for a band like STP and its magnitude and importance to fans today.
    When they released their s/t album back in 2010 with Scott back on lead vocal duties, I was thrilled, held high expectations for their return and to this day I feel nothing but joy for that album because it had everything I could've wanted. It had the old sound back with a modern spin, it had substance and it brought something new to the table on top of the good old recipe fans always loved. I even regard that album as one of my all time favorites just for the fact that the essence was still there and had enough momentum that they could've even released 2 or 3 more albums without losing what drew us fans in the first place.

For me everything ended when they teamed up with Chester Benington as the new singer for the EP, even though I am no fan of the singer I think the music was OK but wasn't sure if they could continue as a band with him because the magic from 2010 that pulled them together was gone. I think this has been confirmed with the new singer now, maybe they are better off in another project with a different name and create a new legacy from scratch with another name. Sure, money influx will deteriorate but I think the pressure from the audience will finally be off and they could even deliver their best effort this way, since it usually works this way for most bands and when the pressure is off. The new guy is not bad of course, I guess I can find the talent if I listen to more of his material but I don't think it'll turn up during his tenure with this band. Like another poster mentioned, he is good for a STP cover band or a tribute concert special guest, and if the band really want to honor Scott or Chester or both they should perform a one off show with special guest vocalists for a final bow and call it quits.

On the other hand I may be a little precipated with my comment as they haven't released enough material for a verdict just yet and I only listened to the song 4 times, but this is enough for me to ignore what's to come from them, just like it happened with their 2013 EP which I admit I haven't listened.

11. Further

Further Forum Resident

That new song Meadow is quite good. I really like it but it's strange hearing someone singing like Scott and knowing it isn't. I find myself imagining what Scott would've done with a song like that (which is very easy to do) and how great that would sound. I still don't think I'll ever accept STP without Scott Weiland - he truly is irreplaceable in every sense of the word - but this new guy gets a lot closer to what the band needs than Chester Bennington ever did.

It's just so weird hearing this and knowing Scott should be there but of course won't ever be again. I'm not sure I can ever get past that huge loss. STP is just one of those bands where every member contributes so greatly to the whole, that without one of the pieces, it just doesn't feel right or complete.

As much as I want to love this, unfortunately for me, it's probably always going to sound like 3/4 of STP along with a stand-in vocalist. A constant reminder of what should be but can't be.

12. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I dunno, I feel like some bands can do well without their lead singer, and some cannot. It is a case by case thing

With STP... I just isn't right without Scott. Some bands like Journey can do it because their songs are more anthemic - STP's lyrics from the personal stories, the broken hearts, the sad times, the imagery, everything ever crafted in the music is from Scott's own troubles and ideas and creative mind.

Ideally I would much rather the DeLeo brothers form another group and play a few STP songs live, instead of getting another dude in the band trying to convey another person's lyrical biographical experiences

Plus this new guy, to me, sounds like a try-hard soundalike which is not something that bodes well for the project in general. I just can't vibe with this. I know Scott is dead, but I just cannot get behind it

13. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Same here. I saw Weiland with STP at least twice (2001 was the 1st time) for work and I saw Velvet Revolver twice for work as well.
    Scott Weiland was an amazing "presence" "live"; he was the real thing, a real "rock star" if you will. He was the charisma in that band (and a damn good lead singer to boot)

This new guy sounds like exactly what he is; a cookie cutter "American Idol" type clown with no originality whatsoever. He looks like so many of these young tattooed clones I see that all look and sound the same.

Good luck, guys.

This things not gonna go well for them (ie. no one's gonna care)

14. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Basically, choosing anyone who was on any kind of reality show is always a bad idea. They would have been better off choosing someone who is a working musician who has toured or worked with other bands. At least they would have some charisma and some idea of how to perform live with a rock band even if it was in very small venues.

Hep Alien and WilliamWes like this.
  15. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I don't know. I'll likely check them out live and see how they do. Especially if it is a small club show. I was OK with the new Yes singer, but I was really there for the guitars. Still, it occasionally works...

[​IMG]

16. Is that what made Hootie so great? WTF?

17. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Like the track and I wish them all the best of success.

Hep Alien, The Beave and WilliamWes like this.
  18. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Pretty harsh on a guy and band that hasn't played a show yet and only released one tune. I'll give it a try before I reserve judgment. But then again I thought William Duvall did a decent job in Alice in Chains. Time will tell on this.

19. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

That's what I thought. Best name to come around since Pat Smear.

20. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I don't know about that.....if Journey could go on without Steve Perry and if Yes could go on without Jon Anderson, and if The Eagles can tour without Glen Frey, then STP can continue without Weiland.

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

True, but STP is not at the same level as those acts; Journey headlined stadiums with Steve Perry, The Eagles are one of the biggest selling bands of all-time.

GodShifter and Zoot Marimba like this.
  22. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I just watched his X-Factor youtube clips. First off, I hate *hate* karaoke contest shows.
    But this guy's got something. I think he may take this and run with it. I'm looking forward to seeing them work together.

23. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

To me STP can't pull it off like those other bands can

Journey is an anthem band, their whole pull are people who want to sing along to Don't Stop Believing while raising a lighter/phone in the air. Same with The Eagles, and both are old bands with an already established place as "oldies", legacy acts. Their mark has been made and even lyrically I feel like they have a certain vibe.

You can get any singer to talk about "Just a small town girl living in a lonely world". However to me, I don't like the idea of a new random dude singing songs that convey very personal images and points that Scott made about his own life, addiction, demons, etc. as well as STP missing that "special" vibe. I am not super interested in hearing Pruno, Seven Caged Tigers, etc. sung by another singer

To me and a lot of people, Scott's presence and vibe and voice was the biggest facet of STP as a whole, generally speaking. And I know that he has passed so it isn't like Scott can come back to be the fray. But to me, I just cannot get behind STP with another singer

24. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

This reminds me of INXS trying to carry on after a long break with a singer that kinda sounded like the old singer...probably doomed to fail, this isn't a band getting bigger with every release at this point like AC/DC when they replaced Bon.

George P likes this.
  25. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

At least STP is doing this a bit classier than INXS with the reality show, that was hard to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.