Jeff Lynne's ELO - From Out Of Nowhere

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BillWX, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simon1966

simon1966 Well Known Senior.

Kenny G and many others have made songs by that name.

2. simon1966

I noticed this latest release hasn't hit the UK Charts. A vinyl single would be nice.

3. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Oh, you were expecting him to get a single on the charts?

whisper3978 likes this.
  4. simon1966

Be positive.

5. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

Just listened to the new song. It's alright, but ultimately the more Jeff insists on playing himself, the less i'm interested. ELO was always at it's best when it was a band with Lynne as it's leader, now it's more of a solo project.

6. simon1966

He's still the leader. Lots of musicians do the same these days alone in the studio. I'm actually enjoying the different take on his music. I like this single, better than the WIWAB and that's a great track.

As long as JL creates new music, I will be very happy to line his pockets.

As a long term fan of his music for well over 40 years on a long musical journey, it doesn't matter to me how he makes the music, if at the end I like the release.

croquetlawns likes this.
  7. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

Sure a lot of musicians do this, that doesn't mean it makes for a better listen. Jeff is not a drummer, or a bassist, or a keyboardist. He can substitute for one, but it suffers for it. I'm happy he's still writing music but the live versions will be infinitely more enjoyable

8. BillWX

BillWX Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking forward to this album. I get the argument that Jeff does too much by himself and should allow a "band" to help record the music. But he's become very set in his ways and enjoys working when he wants to and not on some set schedule. He's also a fierce perfectionist. A few other artists out there are, as well. I guess in his mind, only he can please himself. He can re-re-re-re-re-record something until he passes out and not have to deal with someone else saying "Umm, I have to go home now...". It's just the way he is. What is nice is he's enjoying touring - with a band of talented people. So we DO get to hear his music with more than just "him" on them. If we get another live album with that sound on it, I say all the better. (We now only need more new songs in the live shows and a break from "the hits". But again, I get it - many still haven't seen ELO live in years, or ever, and are happy with the hits.) Personally, I like the sound and lyrics and how he puts it all together. I don't listen to think about how he's not the best drummer or bassist or whatever.
    What I would really enjoy is if he decided to get an actual orchestra and "the band" together in a studio to do some of the hits and newer material for 1 album - with the "full" sound many of his songs really do benefit from. Let him do the tweaks and final production, but get all that sound in there, layer it as he sees fit and I would bet he still could produce a nice album with some great sound. But, that would put him on a schedule with other people and a studio - so not sure he would be into doing that now. I can dream though.

-Bill

9. simon1966

Easy now! That's a very big statement to make. He has been doing all the above since the days of Idle Race and The Move. If you can play as many instruments as he can. Same goes for R Wood, and R Tandy, all multi instrumentalist. Tom Petty, did the same. Lindsay Buckingham, made most of 'Tusk' by himself. McCartney, made lots of albums by himself, even R Astley does his own stuff in his garage.

It isn't a substitution, he is all of the above and more, probably plays by ear.

10. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Agreed - one person doing everything doesn't always lead to mediocre music - there are plenty of Prince albums where he also did everything other than a sax solo or whatever.

simon1966 likes this.
  11. simon1966

I forgot about Prince. So many do it now, plenty did it 40 years ago too. I heard some very big bands on CD/Vinyl and it was awful. If it is a decent tune it will sound great anywhere.

I understand the debate about having a big band in the studio, but JL could've been doing it all for years and we just believe the credits, the point is, it all sounds good even if to some, it isn't perfect.

croquetlawns likes this.
  12. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Lindsey Buckingham most definitely didn't make most of Tusk by himself. Maybe a couple his own songs were mostly him. However, in his solo career he did play most of the instruments himself on a lot of his albums.

McCartney did McCartney and McCartney II by himself. I don't think there are any others. Wouldn't say "lots".

13. simon1966

Nine of the twenty tracks on 'Tusk' are Buckingham's. He was allowed to do his own thing, using a shoe box as a drum and on his knees to do some vocals. It is fair to say, that he was the driving and creative force within F Mac from 1975 onward. JL used the same ideas as LB, using chairs and fridges to create a drum sound. McCartney, has mostly played everything, after Wings, to some degree, allowing others into the mix. Probably more than two albums, especially in this century.

However as I pointed out some hours ago, JL isn't a substitute, he is the player of all instruments. He might not be a maestro at all of them, but it's the end product that matters. Remember, this is the man that learnt to play all the Shadows hits' in his parents house on a guitar that had just a few strings on it. A substitute is a lesser alternative, you could say this about ELO PT2, rather than the individual musicians that played on it.

It's a lot of snobbery, about nothing really. Sadly, some insist on going on about it.

14. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I think there are lots of benefits of having other musicians play on a record vs. doing it yourself. For one thing, you end up with a little more personality over all. Also as a producer you have a chance to hear what the record will sound like before you even record it which means you can make adjustments or follow some quirk of a performance to alter an arrangement. And as a performer you can then focus mostly on your own performance like singing and guitar playing.

I love what Jeff does on his own for sure. Long Wave is a blast to listen to. But he's done that quite a bit lately and it would be nice to hear something a little different again.

But I'll take whatever he does.

simon1966, TrekkiELO and croquetlawns like this.
  15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

That's probably because you keep nearly attacking anyone who comes on this thread and says something that YOU don't agree with!

Many of us are allowed our opinion to say that Jeff isn't delivering the "quality songs or production" that we expect of him. If you dig what he's throwing out there in the name of our beloved ELO, well good for you, but we expect better and that's that!

FACE OF BOE, TrekkiELO and Comet01 like this.
  16. simon1966

Since when was having an opinion, attacking others? It's a lot of people attacking me. Most of them attacking me have been here a few years compared to me and you don't even like the music. Look! take your argument elsewhere. Not interested . I haven't attacked anyone and to say I have IS false. Stay on topic!

17. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Jeff Lynne is first and foremost - a songwriter. As such, he has the rare ability to realize perfectly the sounds in his head, due to also being a multi-instrumentalist.

And people have issues with that????
    Sheesh.

simon1966, omikron and croquetlawns like this.
  18. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I wonder if on some level this is related to the state of the music industry at this point.

Very few people make "albums" with the belief that they will be able to pay their bills anymore. All the money is tied up in streaming singles or performing live.

For legacy acts, recording an album essentially does nothing for their economic well-being.

So when they do make one they are likely just doing it for the sake of making music and they are doing something they love.

So the next logical step in my mind is they don't want all the drama and discussions and paychecks and band dynamics anymore on the studio. Been there done that. What is all that going to be worth at this point? Maybe 500,000 sales tops where they will see pennies per sale?

They are simply doing this because they love it. I for one am glad Jeff is still recording in this crazy music world we live in now.

I'm simply guessing that he just wants to do it all by himself because he knows exactly what he wants and he doesn't want to have to pay a band and get all the baggage that comes with it. He can do it all on his own schedule, at his own pace and he only has himself to argue with.

19. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I really don't think it's about avoiding having to pay bandmembers. It's about his knowing exactly what he wants, and doing it with a minimum of fuss.

You could argue that not having a band means not having to explain what he wants, and having to veto or live with other people's version of that. But, I don't think it's about money.

simon1966 likes this.
  20. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

By the way, there is an interesting book a few years old by Laurence Juber, the last lead guitarist in Wings (1978 - 1981). He and Steve Holly joined the core of Wings (2 McCartneys and Denny Laine) for the last tour of the UK and as well as Back to the Egg album.

In his book, Juber tells about the extent that Macca went to ensure that Wings were a band, and not just a Beatle and 4 other musicians. Macca encouraged Juber to do press interviews, get his face out in public, and Macca requested Juber to forgo any studio assignments while in Wings.

I've seen both Denny Laine and Laurence Juber in concert this year and both were a joy to watch perform. Laine, during the 2 gigs I saw, mentioned that he led Denny Laine and the Diplomats as his first professional band, and that band contained Bev Bevan, who co - founded ELO a few years later. The mention of Bev's name brought a number of cheers from those in the audience. Yes, many of those in attendance were my age or older, but even then, people know who Bev Bevan was/is.

Doubling back to McCartney's albums, I agree with the above post that there were only 2 McCartney albums where he played every instrument. And the version of "Coming Up" that went to #1 in the U.S. in the Spring of 1980? It is the one recorded by Wings live in Glasgow in Dec. 1979, not McCartney II's "solo" version.

Lost In The Flood and omikron like this.
  21. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Vinyl ordered! I really liked the last album. Ordered Mr. Starkey's album at the same time. Can't wait for these.

omikron likes this.
  22. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Sorry if this was already stated. Is there a version with more than 10 tracks?

Thanks!

23. Although it's long overdue an update, here's a fantastic documentary charting the crossover of talent within the so-called "Brum Beat" scene, including both Denny Laine and Bev Bevan:

lawrev and simon1966 like this.
  24. simon1966

I'll have to dig that McCartney ll Cassette out.

Laine, was also the lead singer on the very first Moody Blue single 'Go Now'

Wings were alright on some albums, but other than the hits, the rest was pretty bland. I enjoyed his version of The 'Crossroads' TV theme. I also liked R R Speedway.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  25. simon1966

You mean the new JLELO album? Looks like just 10 tracks unless, CD Japan, do something special.

LSP2003 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.