Jeff Lynne's ELO - From Out Of Nowhere

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BillWX, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Decent single. Sounds to me like a bit of throwback, could hear a rockier, more urgent version of this on a mid 70s album. Jeff does yearning very well, it's again effortlessly rendered in the vocal and lyric. Very impressive that he can do this while touring (and all of it's accompanying distractions), and considering his age. Jeff, more than most was seemingly born to write and record music, I'm not sure he can stop. Looking forward to the new LP.

fer2, theMess, ptijerm and 4 others like this.
  2. Secret Messages opened with the title track, which was released as the second single from its parent album - does that count?

3. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Lynne is a poor drummer and not much better then Bev but two wrongs don't make a right.

Odysseus likes this.
  4. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

Nick Cave, now Jeff Lynne comming up with new music, what a treat!!

Alone in the Universe is one of my favorites Lynne's albums

5. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Beautiful new song! Nothing about it that I don't like.

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Call me unimpressed with the first new song. Same chords as many recent Jeff Lynne songs and pretty lifeless in the production, in my opinion. I mean, we're talking about Jeff Lynne here and I know that I can get a bigger sound and production in my own basement using my Mac computer and Garageband.

7. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Very pleasant surprise!!

I do wish he’d hire a drummer, though :(

Chazzbo13 and Ivan Aaron like this.
  8. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

His sound is distinctive, that's for sure. But why does every album have to sound almkst the same. Another drummer, recorded live with him playing, would be refreshing. If he hires him to olay like himself, as he usually does, it won't make much if a difference.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  9. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to this......... although may I be the only chap who found Alone In The Universe rather uninspiring?

FACE OF BOE and lawrev like this.
  10. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Are there a number of classic ELO songs that include drum fills?

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

You're not. This sounds better.

12. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Not particularly, and granted this is a pet peeve of mine - and perhaps few others.
    But this song, and the last album felt more like the static beat was created by looping 2-4 measures, instead of Jeff (or whomever) playing a steady beat throughout an entire performance. Perhaps the difference is too nuanced to perceive and that I'm irrationally wrong - but I think I can perceive it as a loop. And, for whatever reason, I find that perception to be a distraction. I'm willing to admit that me not being moved by what I hear is my deficit and not ELO's.

mrjinks likes this.
  13. frozenpianos

frozenpianos Looking for that Hook

I love the Jeff Lynne drum sound.

14. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

he should call Richie or Jim Keltner..

15. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Good track. I wish the drumming wasn't just thack, thack, thack throughout the song though...

FACE OF BOE and Elliottmarx like this.
  16. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Lynne is in great voice here. The Beatlesque harmonics are lovely on this tune.

Thanks Sir for the nice surprise.

coot, grimble, Troxad and 1 other person like this.
  17. RTZ

RTZ Forum Resident

Another thing that is great with this new album is I'll have some new songs to add to the playlist that has a lot of ELO.

18. Retropsych

Retropsych Excessive Lynne Orchestrations

The album title, like the cliche spaceship is retreading old ELO tropes.

Don't forget that Our Of The Blue was originally intended to be named Out Of This World, but this was changed as the word World was in a certain previous album. :o

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  19. I like the new song, generally speaking -- but agree the drums are kinda lack-luster. But 10 tracks? Come on, is this gonna be another 30-minute CD from Jeff?

I mean, Long Wave wasn't even 27.5 minutes long -- CRIPES!! -- and I *still* refuse to by it (there is absolutely no excuse for an "album" to clock in well under 30 minutes in length).

Alone In The Universe was only 32.5 miutes long, but I did shell out for the Japanese version with extra material that at least got it up to 37 minutes, iirc (which cost basically double was the domestic standard CD did).

I really like ELO a lot (my wife does too), but there is no excuse for 30-odd minute "album-length" CD's. Criminal.

20. JRMELMER

JRMELMER Member

A MUSICAL GENIUS LISTEN TO A LOVE SO BEAUTIFUL ROY ORBISON

Darren Richardson likes this.
  21. simon1966

simon1966 Well Known Senior.

Long Wave is a great album and it crams a lot into the time. No JL fan, should miss out on that album. Most 1970s albums lasted no longer than 45 mins, due to space on vinyl around 23 mins per side. OOTB is around 70-72 mins long . It is more about quality, than quantity.

Troxad, Tord and Darren Richardson like this.
  22. simon1966

simon1966 Well Known Senior.

R Tandy came up with ANWR while the watching the 1976 Olympics, I read years ago.

Retropsych and lawrev like this.
  23. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I found AITU uninspiring - haven't listened to it since its release. This new track is ok, but those drums?....ugh

But his name is on the cover so he can do what he wants. ShardEnder mentioned Secret Messages previously - that album has loads of energy that has been missing from JL's last several releases.

Chazzbo13, Retropsych and smilin ed like this.
  24. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Hope it has more uptempo tracks than the last one.

theMess likes this.
  25. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

That’s where the drumming REALLY becomes a problem....

Elliottmarx and Retropsych like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.