Jeff Lynne's ELO - From Out Of Nowhere

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BillWX, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Jeff Lynne's ELO - From Out Of Nowhere + Interview (BBC Radio 2) (2019)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    RickH, Larsen and Roland S. like this.
  2. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

The song and production is typical late Jeff Lynne, lets say since his official Wilbury-Years.
    I don't give too much on his "ELO"-Trademark since that time.
    All ELO-Albums since these days days are Wilbury-Albums.

For the Quality in sound, I hope the CD/Vinyl/HiRes, sounds better than this official youtube/stream-thing.

Even the BBC Radio-2-Version with Interview, linked above, sounds a bit better.

Overall and on the first few listens, this is the roughest Jeff Lynne since The Travelling Wilburys "Vol. 3".

So far: I like it!

frozenpianos likes this.
  3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Didn't take long. Burn the witch!

Darren Richardson likes this.
  4. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

So Bev's a good drummer? Really?

5. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

This has potential especially if the album has a flow or concept like out of the blue. the single is nice.

Darren Richardson likes this.
  6. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

These really should be released as solo albums in his name only. ELO was on a totally different level than what he last put out and this new track.

The one man band thing just feels like demos that should be fleshed out with the ELO magic...but he just stops at the first stage.

7. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

It should do well in the UK if promoted properly. AITU went top 5 here and stuck around the top 10 or quite a while, unusually for a heritage rock act (I hate that term).

Houston_Music_Fan and omikron like this.
  8. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I think the one man band thing is cool and has it’s own value BUT every album? He has access to the best players in the world. One would have hoped that taking a great band on the road would remind of how much better a band can be. I love him but it’s very strange.

9. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I think in his heart of hearts he would rather be putting his records out under his own name but he has been persuaded in the wake of the BBC Hyde Park show and subsequent hughly successful tours that the ELO moniker gives the records a better commercial chance. It worked for AITU on the crest of a wave of goodwill that followed the BBC show in particular (and also prominent use of ELO music in high profile events like the London Olympics opening ceremony which brought those songs back to people's attention and possibly to the attention of a younger audience too. It was ELO's Abba/Muriel's Wedding/Mamma Mia moment).

10. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Second volume 'Short wave', third volume 'FM'

simon1966, drowningdeep and BlueJay like this.
  11. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I think this is right. It's the record company that want the records to go out as ELO records. Lots of Jeff's older fans grew up knowing ELO songs as ELO songs, not as Jeff Lynne songs. Many of them probably never even knew, or cared, who the members of ELO were. Jeff has certainly made his name well known today - not least because of his association with the Wilburys - but my guess is there are still fans out there who are far more familiar with the band name than with the lead singer's name. Having said that, Long Wave sold surprisingly well, especially in the UK, so I'm not sure using his own name would undercut sales that much. But these days every record sold matters, especially for record companies concerned about physical sales numbers. So any means to boost sales is likely to be tried, with good reason.

croquetlawns and omikron like this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would love to see Jeff properly produce a McCartney album in the same way he worked with George on 'Cloud Nine', with his backing vocals, instrumentation and even co-writing (in the same way that Paul has recently 'written' with Tedder and Epworth). On 'Flaming Pie', Jeff seemed rather restrained, especially compared to his work with George and Tom Petty, maybe because Paul is more controlling in that sense, and also probably because Paul worked with other people on that album also.

13. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Thanks for the technical breakdown. Very informative.

Should we open a thread entitled, "Deconstructing the latter day music of Jeff Lynne?"

:)

14. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

I really like the song, but as did the "Alone in the Universe" album, this track sounds compressed to oblivion. I know that is what he's gone for the past 30 years, but stale drumming and no dynamics doesn't do any favours. So this pretty much means that my favourite producer of all time is in dire need of... A producer?

Lonesurf, Chazzbo13, lawrev and 2 others like this.
  15. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I would like to think, hopefully, that someone would have broached that subject (of an outside producer) with JL over the past 20 years. If not, I wouldn't be surprised.

16. simon1966

simon1966 Well Known Senior.

Hopefully a deluxe Long Wave will arrive sooner or later, along with MBS The Very Best of Vol'2. This would be good news.

grimble likes this.
  17. simon1966

Totally disagree. If JL isn't ELO who is? This new track is very catchy and doesn't sound like a demo.

croquetlawns and Troxad like this.
  18. simon1966

Some 'fans' like that idea, very odd.

19. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Sir Paul McCartney uses outside producers, and it is sometimes good to mix things up. Not odd at all. Especially in JL's case, where his basic musical template has been in place for about 30 years.

WildWildHorses49 and Chazzbo13 like this.
  20. simon1966

It is odd, very odd. Because it wouldn't work. McCartney used G Martin and the Genesis producer. When he used JL, I got the impression Macca gave him a credit, even though he had erased the production., then did it again himself.

The problem with JL for the small minority of 'fans' that actually prefer we stay in 1977 and he keeps making MBS style recordings. Those that like ELO part2 sadly awful. Great musicians. Actually resent JL being in ELO and making albums, using the name even though he is ELO, without him ELO Part 2, wouldn't have any material at all.

I don't want to hear another producer or other musicians if JL is making the sound and music I like over 50 years. The very obsessive fans cannot get past that concept they feel that JL owes them what they want.

Already, we are seeing 'fans' getting upset and posting nonsense over one track. I like it and it is selfish that some have to spoil the fun.

If you don't like JL recordings, don't buy them.

21. simon1966

On Radio 2 UK now playing it.

22. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

vallilalainen, Troxad and FACE OF BOE like this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

ptijerm and FACE OF BOE like this.
  24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

He sounds pretty good on "Shazam"...maybe not amazing, but he more than holds his own.

Lonecat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.