Jeff Lynne's ELO - From Out Of Nowhere

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BillWX, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Only two bonus tracks? What about Lonesome Lullaby 2.0 On My Mind?

:hide:

Yorick, horacewimp and melstapler like this.
  2. simon1966

simon1966 Well Known Senior.

Maybe you never heard the Shadows, SE? Now, if you were talking about 'Lucky Motel' and Long Wave, you might find I agree with you. Lucky Motel, reminds me in part, of 'Smile' or at least another track on there.

As I said, earlier 'Stream of Stars' is like all The Shadows 2- Greatest Hit's rolled into one.

3. simon1966

This is the UK download all 12 tracks (Not the Japanese issue) :edthumbs: You do realise that 7 digital provide the company HD Tracks and produce shows for BBC. :hide:

4. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Cliff Richard's band.

5. simon1966

He drifted out of The Shadows, then went solo. The Shadows were originally called The Drifters. :)

6. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

You paint with a very broad brush...there's nothing illogical about being a true fan of Jeff's and finding disappointment in his latter day efforts. We don't want to "stay in 1977" anymore than we "want to stay in 1989"...these last few projects sound stale and uninspired. Being Jeff's fan means I expect his work to be clearly superior to other contemporary efforts. That's not been my (or many others') experience...so much of it seems to be "paint by numbers" music with phoned-in, cut and paste efforts. Nothing wrong in having high hopes...and nothing wrong with expressing dismay when those expectations are dashed by disappointing, lackluster product.

If you see this new product very positively, good for you...I applaud your optimism. I simply don't see eye-to-eye with you there...but let's try and refrain from broad categorizations of "fans" who don't measure up in your eyes...thanks

7. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Jeff Lynne, as an individual and an artist, owes no one anything and should record and release whatever it is that feels right to him at this point in time.

But having said THAT---I feel he DOES owe his fans something that at least sounds like ELO if he going to market his solo projects as such and trade on the name. I was VERY disappointed in "Alone In The Universe" because I was expecting a return to ELO. Instead, all I got was a Jeff Lynne solo album that not only bore no resemblance to ELO at all, but one that I also found to be dull and weak.

This new track, at least, bears more resemblance to ELO with the use of the background vocals and some other elements. Not so much that I'm optimistic about the new album as a whole, but at least it points in the right direction.

And no, I don't expect anything new that he does to sound like 1977. But if I hear no separation at all between what is released as "Jeff Lynne" and as "ELO", then I can only see the latter as a weak attempt to sell more records and tie it into what is otherwise a nostalgia tour. I rarely complain that I feel ripped off by an artist. Again, it's their life and their work and they owe ME nothing. But marketing is marketing and has little or nothing to do with art.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    FACE OF BOE, longaway, lawrev and 4 others like this.
  8. simon1966

We all have different opinions and taste.

There's no merit in complaining about a product you don't like, don't buy it. A small minority of self appointed, ego driven 'fans' more interested in self promotion, drags the ELO universe down into a spiral of bitter and childish comments. The track was barely four hours old and the usual suspects were complaining.

Since I was 11, in 1977 and given OOTB I have always thought everything JL does musically is just what I want. :rolleyes:

9. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

If one has low expectations then he's a genius.

10. I suspect the current "Jeff Lynne's ELO" moniker is a compromise to not only appease Jeff, who I'm sure would prefer to be releasing material under his own name, but so Frontiers and more recently Sony can sell a few extra units by relying on b(r)and recognition. Despite years of association with a variety of artists, Jeff still isn't the household name I'd love to see him become, and it's clear he was bored of having to keep churning out albums that adhered to the ELO formula long before he was contractually free of this group format, which may explain why those later few '80s efforts were so musically different from anything previously. Of course, a lot of it was likely Jeff using the opportunity to experiment with his own post-ELO sound, finally established with Traveling Wilburys and rarely changed since.

However, both the Zoom album and its ill-fated tour proved that Jeff couldn't simply revive ELO while expecting to have the same level of success he'd once enjoyed in the latter half of the '70s especially. Upon his return in 2012, I get the impression that all involved had refined their strategy, playing more to Jeff's biggest strength as a legacy act with a killer back catalogue and the desire to continue recording. Long Wave was deservedly issued as a solo project, and the Mr. Blue Sky remakes proved he could deliver the goods without relying on anyone else - something that even the title of Alone In The Universe referenced. At this point, it's hard to say whether From Out Of Nowhere will follow Jeff's template for the last three decades or whether it's closer to the ELO of old.

The only thing I can be sure of is that at least part of Jeff putting his own name up there isn't to draw a line between his output and that of ELO Part II/The Orchestra, because it seems those guys now truly are stuck* in a cycle of relying on their past. I don't say this as a negative, but rather a mere observation, since I've always felt they never had the connections to ensure their work is given a fair shot. On the other hand, even Bev has said that he didn't do himself any favours by drawing comparison to ELO, when perhaps the best option would have been for him to launch a new outfit that played material from across his own distinguished career, as he's subsequently done with the Stand Up And Rock revue.

*For what it's worth, I'd love a follow-up to No Rewind...

11. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I love Jeff Lynne and practically everything he's ever done. I can't wait to get the album and I'm sure I will like it as much or more than the last one.

I realize that getting older and being set in one's ways makes it pointless for me; a fan to wish he would consider operating differently. But... nevertheless... it would be great to hear something new from him that was done with a band and recorded by someone else in someplace classic... like Capitol for instance. I think it would benefit from having to push himself further outside his comfort zone and be more 'planned' and I think the recording would benefit from being less boxy too.

Darren Richardson and lawrev like this.
  12. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I was listening to Idle Race last night and it's stunning how Jeff's voice is exactly the same now as it was then. I suppose not being a 'strainer' of a singer has helped keep his pipes in prime condition but I can't think of any other singer of Jeff's age that has managed to preserve his vocals as well as Jeff has.

ShardEnder likes this.
  13. videoman

videoman Senior Member

The Zoom tour was simply too soon, IMO.

The world wasn't yet ready to be nostalgic about ELO. They were always a band that had a hard time being taking seriously as it was. And, as you say, Jeff Lynne (very unfairly IMO) never established himself as a solo artist. By 2012, the world was much more ready to say "you know what, I actually LIKE ELO and would love to see them in concert!"

I'm glad to see he's still at it. And, again, he's free to write, record and release whatever he wants and I'm free to buy it/not buy it/like it/dislike it. But I still think that if he's going to say "this new record isn't Jeff Lynne, but instead it's Jeff Lynne's ELO" that it should have more to do with ELO than simply a picture of a spaceship on the cover.

FACE OF BOE, lawrev and Comet01 like this.
  14. simon1966

It is, what it is! Take it or leave it. Buy it, Don't buy it. JL is ELO, ELO is JL.

I really liked ZOOM, AITU both different. The thing I look for is that JL trademark feel and style. When I heard the first three albums after OOTB I moved on, it was a shock at first. The Idle Race, Move, Wilbury and associated acts, then ELO before all of that, solo works, Walsh and Addams you begin to see that you can swap all the tracks around and in different order, yet they all sound great and fresh.

The Weatherman, from Idle Race, could have appeared on any ELO or Move album, it could have been an extra track on the Armchair Theater, or the ELO Live Frontiers CD. Those saying that AITU wasn't really ELO was the same thing said about ZOOM when it was released.

These both have that JL sound. ELO, JL's ELO are a brand and that's all. It isn't the songs or the sound.

JL owns and creates that sound, all those tracks don't say written by ELO, or Mack, not even LC.

JL can exist in any guise, any vehicle. It was always JL.

The JL sound we get now can exist at anytime, we have the many different sounds. Not one album sounds the same as the previous. 1975 and 1981 are really the most different.

Do we really want or need strings? well, look at the two biggest UK hits without ONJ, DBMD and HOT, not a violin in sight!

Discovery 5 weeks at Number 1 in UK mostly Disco/Funk/Blusey tunes, very few strings. 'TIME' 2 weeks No.2 in UK not many strings, lots of Synths.

You can't narrow JL down to any ELO sound, because there never was one ELO sound, it was all JL different styles.

You can't even say he was Beatle-ish because even that is more Harrison White Album/Abbey Rd.

He leans more toward B Wilson, J L Lewis and Eddy, than he does in terms of 1964 Beatles.

So, I look forward to this album, as I did the others and I really like this style, since 1983. But I also like styles on the 1968 - 1977 output.

15. Samantha Wolf

Samantha Wolf I bite when angry...

I’d much rather hear something that sounds like old ELO than some new ELO music with the ubiquitous rapper in the middle of the songs.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If your enjoyment of something depends on other people agreeing with you, then that's a problem. Not the problem of those who don't enjoy it, either.

I'm as big a fan of the classic era ELO as anyone. But that doesn't blind me to what's good and what isn't. There are songs on those classic era albums that I think are inferior, but generally the quality is quite high. The recent releases (and I include Zoom with those) have been notably inferior. overall, to anything the first era ELO released.

I will still listen to anything new Jeff releases, as soon as he releases it. But I'm holding my expectations in check.

17. simon1966

Frontiers, won't make much now Sony released those 5 CD, under license to Big Trilby (JL) They have nothing to release now and stocks are running low of what was printed on Vinyl and CD, for Frontiers. :edthumbs:

18. simon1966

The rapper is usually around the CD ;)

19. I've said this a few times in recent years, usually around the time of each new Jeff/ELO project, but it really is amazing how much of that voice has survived! Unlike so many of his contemporaries, Jeff still demonstrates an incredible range to his singing without any real signs of damage - maybe it's all those years off the road?

Whatever name ends up being put on the sleeve, you just know that anything bearing the "written and produced by Jeff Lynne" seal of quality has a certain sound... His music long since passed the point of being like a welcome comfort blanket to me!

Lonecat and edenofflowers like this.
  20. simon1966

It's a lot of fun and excitement, only fours years this time.

21. PlasticFlowers

PlasticFlowers Well-Known Member

Were there other bonus tracks listed on on the internal promo other than "She's Gone" ?

22. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Did I miss something of is the "deluxe" version of the CD only available on the JLELO website??

23. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

24. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

This is all very confusing. So despite talk of bonus tracks, the deluxe edition of the CD actually has exactly the same track listing as the regular version, right?

25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Never said he was a great drummer (Bev Bevan), just not as bad as you make him out to be...

Chemically altered likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.