Jeff Lynne's ELO reveals 2018 Tour dates

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larsen, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I've got the Oakland show next week and can't say I'm very excited for it (my wife is a big fan) after reading this thread. I think my next arena show after that is Smashing Pumpkins (again, my wife is a big fan). Not a very inspiring duo of shows for me, but it's still live music, so how bad can it be? (Please don't tell me)

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

This is a bucket list item for me too!

People are complaining about stage announcements and it sounding too much like the records???

Bitch, please!!! I’m glad you’re not there. Let someone who will enjoy the show have that seat!

3. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

Stop worrying. If you like the songs he's still an incredible vocalist and the band are brilliant. Don't listen to the dullards who talk about backing tracks, midi, samples, miming ****e . There's a bloke in the band playing guitar who's a RSM Grade 8 baritone player, he's an incredible musician and baritone players don't do ********. I can assure you

Don't confuse baritone with baritone sax.

Meyer, smilin ed and walrus like this.
  4. I’m just going to enjoy the show for what it is.

Ed Hughes and Meyer like this.
  5. Meyer

Just got home from the tour opener. They put on a fantastic show, even if it is just Lynne and sidemen. They sounded great, and, aside from a couple of obvious choral backing tracks, it seemed like they were the real deal. I’m just a garbage guitar player, but it seems like they were processing a lot of the backing vocals to sound close to the original recordings, but I do think that stuff was sung live.

They played all of the hits, but if you want to get a jump on the crowds leaving the venue, full disclosure that they ended their set with Mr. Blue Sky and then curiously encored with Roll Over Beethoven.

6. Michaelpeth

ELO have always encored with ROB. Great to hear you enjoyed it. Have to say last few times I've seen them Jeff is still one of the best vocalists around

7. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Going to see this show soon(Aug.25) Really looking forward to it.

footlooseman likes this.
  8. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

Direct quote from one of your earlier posts: "At least there's now a sense of spectacle, even if the audio seems barely live or lively." I realize this is old news but you quite literally said "barely live."

ShardEnder likes this.
  9. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

no Richard Tandy this time?

10. Good catch - I'm not infallible!

P.S. Can anyone confirm Richard's return?

11. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

The 2017 Wembley show is documented on a new Showtime film - it’s fantastic, I’ve watched the whole thing twice.

benjis likes this.
  12. Nope

They had a new keyboard player so my guess is Tandy had to bow out for some reason.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  13. I agree. I was happy to see that Jeff didn’t leave the cello and violin to shines and had actual players. Some incredible backing vocals. Nice to see former It Anitra bassist Lee Pomperoy on stage as well.great band.

14. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

No Tandy from the stage photos.

15. I knew the tease in that leaked rehearsal picture was too good to be true.

16. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I'm curious to know whether Jeff mentioned anything during last night's show about Richard's absence or coming return.

ShardEnder likes this.
  17. Meyer

Nope. His stage banter was minimal.

18. Meyer

Ah. Good to know. First time seeing them, as you can probably guess ;-)

19. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

All this begs the question that, if everything on the US tour is essentially the same as the Wembley DVD show...why bother to buy tickets? I was blessed to see both the 78 and 81 tours, so it feels like there's more to lose than gain here...IMO

Rooster_Ties, footlooseman and lawrev like this.
  20. Sort of like Paul going on tour alone as the Beatles or Mick as the Stones? I still love Jeff though...

footlooseman likes this.
  21. Michaelpeth

It's absolutely nothing like that

22. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I think it would be like Paul going on tour as the Beatles and only playing the "Paul" composed Beatle songs. Near the end of the Beatles, the relationships deteriorated so that, for instance, John, George, and Ringo were essentially backing musicians on the "Paul" compositions. The difference between the Beatles and ELO, though, is that Jeff has ignored or minimized the musical contributions of his former colleagues (and friends). It never got that bad in the Beatles, IMHO.

The Beatles didn't have Don Arden either, whose "managerial talents" could be a topic all by itself! He really knew how to build a team (of one).

ShardEnder and footlooseman like this.
  23. From what I've been told, Don was very supportive of Bev's plans to continue under the ELO name while there was still a possibility of this (mostly) new group keeping his Jet Records empire afloat. Unfortunately, once it became obvious that Jeff really was the band's resident talent in more ways than one, Arden soured on the whole idea of Part II, which is why they left for new management in 1993 - soon after, Kelly felt comfortable enough to plan his return as a full member once again.

lawrev likes this.
  24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It’s like Gerry without the Pacemakers.

Marc Perman and Mazzy like this.
  25. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

It's like Doug Fieger without The Knack. :)

Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.