Jeff Mackwood's Main Home Theatre

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jeffmackwood, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident Thread Starter

Folks,

Pics alone cannot adequately describe my main home theatre. Neither can I do so by filling in my equipment profile. This thread is intended to give a more comprehensive view of the entire room / system.

The pics below show the front, sides and rear of the room in one-person configuration. At most it can go to three-person (although I've probably had a half-dozen kids watching a movie at the same time!)

I'll walk you through this. Photos are below.

With reference to the front and left side pics, you'll notice the Koss CM/1020 speakers (sitting on top of the two Velodyne Servo 1200 subs) and the SVS 20-39PC+ sub. That's a 2.1 stereo set-up within the theatre and used for casual listening when I don't want to fire up the whole thing. It's driven off Zone 2 of the Onkyo PR-SC886 that's at the heart of the system - so I have access to any source connected by its analogue inputs. I use the SVS's internal crossover - set as low as it will go (ie. 40 Hz). A Hitachi HMA-8300 stereo power amp (200 W/ch - shown in front pic) drives the CM/1020s.

The main theatre is a 7.1 system - with some twists. The main "5" channels (fronts and sides) consist of "stacks" of Koss CM/1030 speakers - arranged tweeter-to-tweeter. I consider them to be one of the finest American-made speaker series (CM/1030, CM/1020, CM/1010) ever: a beautiful combination of design, style, materials/finish and performance. I'm not exactly sure when the idea to "stack" them tweeter-to-tweeter came to me, but I know that I was likely inspired by looking at some D'Appolito speaker design and thinking it might work - and it does! (Especially in my main HT where, if I take the base plinth off the top pair, the stack quite literally goes from floor to ceiling, with maybe a few sheets of paper to spare.) I've never seen pics of anyone else doing it with these speakers so either I'm a groundbreaker, or crazy. You be the judge!

I have five Carver A-400x stereo amps - one per stack (meaning one 200 W channel per speaker, however the CM/1030 are 4 Ohm speakers, and the Carvers are rated at 300 W into that impedance.) The rear surround duties go to a pair of Paradigm Titans, driven by an old Phase Linear Model 300 Series II stereo power amp (120 W/ch).

You will note that across the front, there is what I consider to be a perfect HT speaker alignment: identical speakers with the acoustic centres aligned across the front, and the centre stack directly in the centre of the front wall. (That perfect alignment continues with identical Koss stacks in the side surround positions.) That's a Draper Salara 96" diagonal screen system fitted with acoustically transparent AT1200 "weave" material. There is no sound degradation with screen down - and no visual interference effect with the weave material. From the sweet spot seat, which is only 7 feet from the screen, this gives an apparent screen size that's identical to sitting in the centre of a large commercial theatre, half way back. The room itself is small - 1000 cubic feet - and open at the back to the rest of the basement / house, which acts as a bass trap for that room. Close to 40% of the room’s wall and ceiling surfaces are treated with 2” panels – all primary reflection points to the seating area. (In-room bass response is essentially flat from 15 HZ up, over a large floor area. For reasons that follow.)

One of those "twists" that I mentioned above is the use of multiple subs in the 7.1 system - four to be exact (and another which I'll mention later.) All of the main channels that feed the CM/1030 stacks are run full range, and through first an Outlaw ICBM-1 external crossover (all channels set to 40 HZ). The ICBM-1's sub output then goes through a Velodyne SMS-1 Room Correction device which feeds a pair of Velodyne Servo 1200s (front wall) and a B&W ASW1000 (rear left.) The rear surround channels (to the Titans) are crossed over in the 886 at 60 Hz and that bass, plus the LFE channel is fed to an SVS PB13 Ultra (rear left - under the B&W.) The multiple subs, bass-trapped room, and proper calibration are what gives the system its extended, flat and wide bass response.

That fifth sub (other than the SVS 20-39 mentioned earlier) is a Yamaha YST-SW160. The front L/R channels are split before heading to the ICBM-1 and fed through an old dbx 100 "subharmonic synthesizer." It basically takes any signal between 55-110 Hz and creates a new signal a full octave lower. Back in the day of bass-deficient sources / recordings it worked wonders. I still use it in such cases.

Looking at the gear pics, moving left to right through four vertical columns you'll see three Carver amps in the left; the "vinyl section" in the left centre, along with more Carvers; the 886 in the right centre, along with processors mentioned earlier, as well as cable HD PVR, Sony UBP-X800 “universal” 4k BD player, a seldom-used Oppo DVD player, Magnavox HDD & DVD recorder, the Phase Linear amp, and a NAD2155 stereo power amp that drives a Zone 3 located elsewhere in the basement; and the rightmost section holds an Optoma projector on top, with a whole host of source / legacy gear including Sony multi-disc DVD player, Toshiba LD player, JVC S-VHS deck; Nakamichi RX-202 cassette deck, and a Sony hi-8 8mm deck. There’s UPS units in the bottom left and right shelves. A small flatscreen HDTV on the top left shelf saves having to fire up the projector for a lot of tasks, A second LD player, a Pioneer, is currently in the shop in need of a new control board.

The vinyl section consists of a Yamaha P-850 turntable sitting on a granite vibration dampening system, a Stanton 681EEE cartridge, the phono section of a NAD 1130 pre-amp, a Pioneer RG-1 dynamic range enhancer and an SAE 5000 Impulse Noise Reduction System. (The purists' eyes have now rolled completely out of their heads; I happen to think it all works great together!)

One of the advantages / characteristics of my system is that when everything is playing loud and clean, nothing is actually working hard. The CM/1030 is a very high efficiency speaker. Stacked from floor to ceiling: even more so. Normal listening generates 1-2 W peaks per channel. Loud is 5-10 W peaks. "Concert" levels: just slightly more than that. They will absorb more than the Carvers can throw at them - but that would produce truly dangerously high levels. Same deal with the subs: individually they just loaf along.

When the rear "curtains" are closed, the room is essentially completely dark. The walls and ceiling are painted in Munsell Neutral Value Grey.

My bottom line is that, within that relatively small room (13.5' w x 12.5' l x 6.5' h) I have created about as "big" a home theatre experience as most will ever see or hear. While it works great for straight stereo listening, it excels at multi-channel.

My apologies if I got any of the above details wrong. Feel free to ask any questions.

Jeff Mackwood

Photos

Front - Screen Up

[​IMG]

Front - Screen Down

[​IMG]

Right Side

[​IMG]

Left Side

[​IMG]

Gear Shelves at Rear

[​IMG]

2. jeffmackwood

A few extra photos.

Left Rear Corner

[​IMG]

Right Rear Corner

[​IMG]

Seating for One!

[​IMG]

3. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

4. jeffmackwood

Two small updates since I first posted the description above almost a year ago...

The Hitachi HMA-8300 stereo power amp that's shown at the front of the room, and which powers the 2.1 set-up within the 7.1 theatre, has been replaced by a fully-refurbished NAD 2200 stereo power amp. No difference in sound; I just found the Hitachi's power meters' lights a little distracting. I'll find another use for that beast, some time.

The Pioneer LD player (CLD-D504), that I mentioned was in the shop, could not be repaired. I ended up finding another, only one model newer, the Pioneer CLD-D505, that needed only very minor servicing before it got put into the gear shelves in like-new condition.

No firm changes planned for 2019, although I remain on the lookout for any SVS 20-39PC+ subs that come up for sale, as I'd like to go dual matching subs on the 2.1 set-up - with one dedicated to each channel. While I can't localize the current single SVS sub by hearing it (crossover is set at 40Hz), I can feel/sense it to my left on certain passages. There's a mirror image spot to my right just waiting for another one to be dropped in. Fingers crossed that I find one this year.

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Ezd likes this.
  5. Helom

Helom Forum member

6. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

For me, for music, just using 4.1, with two-ways speakers and one big sub, crossover the mains at 80 Hz, surround at 100 Hz, I already can get very clean and details sound.

I can imagine how amazing your setup would sound!

BTW, this morning I watched new Netflix film "Close" in 5.1. I crossed my small center high at 100 Hz and was happy with the results. Very clean and clear vocals. Previously it was a bit boxy sounding with lower crossover point. I guess that is the problem with smaller speakers. With yours, the vocals should be great!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    blakep likes this.
  7. jeffmackwood

I've just made another change to the main HT: the addition of a Phase Linear Model 1000 Series II Noise Reduction System. The signal flow is now:

Yamaha P-850 turntable / Stanton 681EEE cartridge > (the phono section of a) NAD 1130 pre-amp > SAE 5000 Impulse Noise Reduction System > Phase Linear Model 1000 Series II Noise Reduction System > Pioneer RG-1 Dynamic Processor.

I spent some time noodling the "proper" order in which to place the SAE, Phase Linear, and Pioneer and I think I've got it right; at least as right as can be when inserting such multiple devices into the signal path. Basically eliminate (or reduce) unwanted sound and improve the good stuff that's left.

With the Phase Linear I'm only using its noise reduction capabilities, and not the dynamic expansion (which is being left up to the Pioneer.) Its effects are subtle - depending of course on the source material.

To my ears, the resulting sound is almost CD-like in terms of absence of noise (clicks, pops, hiss, rumble) and dynamics.

Jeff

8. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

Is your screen perforated? Just curious. If not, how much does it affect your center channel?
    Also, how loud is your projector? I'm sure it must be audible but does it bother you at all being in the same room?

How do you like the room correction on the Onkyo? Does it give you much feedback, visual or otherwise as to what it's doing for channel EQ and delay timing?

9. jeffmackwood

The screen is not perforated; it's a weave. Draper AT1200 material. It's completely acoustic transparent and has zero noticeable effect on the centre channel stack. I've had numerous folks do quite literally "blind" tests where I've had the screen up and down and none have been able to tell the difference.

The projector's sound is not noticeable during the playing of even soft passages. (The Optoma is a pretty quiet beast to start with.) Mind you for music-only listening it's not ever on. And if I'm playing concert videos (of any genre) any projector fan / colour wheel noise is insignificant.

I don't use the Onkyo's Audyssey Room Correction feature. I went through the set-up a few times when I first got it and never liked the results. I believe the reason is the relatively complex multi-sub approach that I use confused the heck out of it. (In my family room HT upstairs from the main HT, I use a single sub 5.1 set-up and there the Pioneer receiver's MCACC does a great job. I'm not averse to using such systems where they make a positive difference.) So it's basically me doing my own distance settings and level balancing - which initially did take a bit of effort. I re-check things every so often and things have pretty much stayed put.

Additionally no real room correction, especially in the bass region, is needed. The system is flat from 15Hz up well past 120Hz. That's the result of the careful use and set-up of multiple subs, room layout, and the use of the rest of the house as a bass trap such that there are no standing waves to deal with. Acoustic treatments keep the upper mids and highs well in check.

Jeff

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  10. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

Cool! Nice work!

11. noway

noway Forum Resident

Just wondered what the 2 small black pyramids affixed to the front of the equipment rack are.

12. jeffmackwood

They are IR remote control repeaters. I've got a receiver/broadcaster in my office in the basement, and another near my trainer set-up. Allows me to control some of the main HT's devices while not in the room.

13. direstraitsfan98

direstraitsfan98 Well-Known Member

Great looking dungeon.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. jeffmackwood

Time to bring the images up to date to reflect changes described above, and in other threads.

At the front of the room, the Hitachi HMA-8300 amp that powered the Koss CM/1020-based 2.1 system has been replaced by a fully-refurbished NAD 2200. I found the Hitachi's front panel lighting too distracting to be sitting up front.

As described in another thread (search "Koss CM/530") I described the addition of those speakers to the room, and have created another 2.1 system using a Yamaha YST-SW150 subwoofer. The Koss CM/530s are sitting atop the Koss CM/1020s. A Sherwood 4050R A/V receiver provides the power.

The photo of the gear racks shows the changes mentioned in previous posts in this thread. I'm adding additional photos showing each gear section, from left to right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ilusndweller and pdxway like this.
  15. jeffmackwood

16. jeffmackwood

To keep the thread / description updated...

I recently added a second SVS 20-39PC+ sub to the Zone 2 stereo system, along with an Outlaw Audio ICBM-1 external crossover, to create a stereo sub system. It's described in more detail in this thread, as well as my listening experience comparing its operation in stereo and dual-mono modes.

pdxway likes this.
  17. jeffmackwood

Additional updates...

To the stereo sub system mentioned in the preceding post, I've now added a Carver C-9 "Sonic Holography" unit. I first talked about my trials and tribulations of using a C-9 in this thread. That unit still sits in my main floor family room theatre, which drives a pair of Totem Sttaf speakers located in my living room. The C-9 in the basement's main HT is a second unit that I bought.

The other stereo system (Koss CM/530s) in the main HT has also evolved as well, and changes to it are detailed in this thread.

I'll soon post updated photos.

Jeff

18. jeffmackwood

This is the new updated front of the main HT.

Three stacks of Koss CM/1030 speakers and two Velodyne Serv0 1200s are part of the 7.1 system.

The two CM/1020s sitting directly on the Velos, operate in concert with the two SVS 20-39PC+ subs partly-shown on the far left and right of the image, to form a true-stereo dual-sub system.

Two CM/530s sit on top of the CM/1020s, and along with the Yamaha YST-SW150 sub to the right of the centre stack form a stereo single-sub combo driven by the Outlaw Audio Model 950 that sits on top of a NAD 2155 power amp, to the left of the centre stack.

[​IMG]

pdxway, nosliw and Ilusndweller like this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Funny, I don't see the stack of lottery tickets I'm assuming you are amassing.

At this rate, you will run out of room to breathe, and will need to move. I suggest one of those closed-down Sears, JC Penney or K-Marts near you, may offer enough space...and still give you that basement/warehouse aesthetic you seem to gravitate to.

Funny, I never considered using actual walls of speakers, in lieu of actual wall treatments. Bravo!

hman and jeffmackwood like this.
  20. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Great! So now I should have excuse to buy more subs! : )
    Two for home theater. Two for stereo subs!

jeffmackwood likes this.
  21. jeffmackwood

Updated gear shelves' photos...

On the far left are three of the five Carver A-400x. Also shown are the Denon AH-D5000 headphones, and recently-acquired "vintage" Pioneer SE-505 headphones.

[​IMG]

Centre left is the vinyl section: Yamaha P-850 turntable (sitting on granite/rubber layers) with Stanton 681EEE cartridge, Pioneer RG-1, NAD 1130, SAE 5000, Phase Linear 1000 Series Two. There's also the dbx Model 100, and two more Carver A-400x amps.

[​IMG]

Centre right has (top to bottom) a Sony UBP-X800, Oppo DV-980H, Onkyo PR-SC886, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD, Magnavox MDR557H, Velodyne SMS-1, two Outlaw Audio ICBM-1, NAD 2150 power amp (for Zone 3), Phase Linear Model 300 Series II, Carver C-9, and NAD 2200 (Zone 2).

[​IMG]

Far right (top to bottom): Optoma HD projector, Kenwood DEM-9991D, Pioneer CLD-505, Toshiba XR-W75C, Sony DVP-NC875V, JVC HR-S4800U, Sony EV-S2000, Nakamichi RX-202, Tripp-Lite UPS.

[​IMG]

Not shown are a whole host of other gizmos and gadgets that are hidden away.

Jeff

22. jeffmackwood

In the first post in this thread I talked about the use of "stacked" Koss CM/1030 speakers in my main HT.

Today I was doing a little cleaning, and the grilles were off a pair, so I decided to snap a pic, shown below, as I realized that I'd not posted such a shot before, and that one pic is worth a lot of words.

Jeff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

black sheriff and Ilusndweller like this.
  23. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Did you just turn on your system?....I'm in Kitchener and my lights just dimmed:)

Ingenieur and Ilusndweller like this.
  24. jeffmackwood

I'll post advance warning next time!

Jeff

ps. My family roots, on my mother's side, go deep in the Kitchener/Waterloo area.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  25. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Much appreciated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.