Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship/Hot Tuna/Solo & More: Album-By-Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WilliamWes, May 1, 2019.

1. vetterestorer

vetterestorer Lost in the Ozone

WilliamWes, jamesmaya and Bruso like this.
  2. The Mono 45RPM MOFI is the definite version of the album.

3. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Or the Mofi SACD. Now if only they would so that for Baxter's.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  4. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Mono Baxter’s has some significant differences.

R. Totale likes this.
  5. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

I’ve been curious as well. By the sound of the applause, the audience is good sized and sounds similar to some other Fillmore live recordings, so maybe that is the source. Both songs sound similar in that regard and in the performance of the songs themselves which seems very well-rehearsed, so they may be from the same show. Don’t Let Me Down is excellent and makes me think it could have lasted in their set list if they had wanted it. I guess they were recorded later in the year as they sound more effortlessly together than the May and June concerts.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Hep Alien and WilliamWes like this.
  6. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I'd just like to add a plug for the mono 45 of "The Ballad of You, Me, and Pooneil". It's awesome.

GreenFuz, Jon H., Hep Alien and 5 others like this.
  7. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

By goodness it is! Spencer is punching me in the chest, neck, and head, and i absolutely love it! Wow! This is masterful and making a song i've heard like 1000 times in my life sound fresh as tomorrow to me.

Hep Alien and Edgard Varese like this.
  8. Brian Doherty

i have never never sprung for mono lps that i already had in stereo versions just for "sounds better" reasons but i think i shall be doing so for BAXTER'S and SP. Is the lp mono version of Pooneil the same as this amazing one posted above from the single?

9. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Whoa. That's pretty revelatory.

agundy and Brian Doherty like this.
  10. Edgard Varese

No, it's a different mix. The mono single mix has never appeared on digital media.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

I've always wondered -- what does Grace sing at 2:41 (using the mono 7" as a reference)? Does anyone know? It sounds like "speck you one drink, a water rap" or something.

12. Brian Doherty

I guess I'll be cratedigging for the mono Pooneil single then....

13. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

No idea what that lyric is. Many years ago I thought it might be "stop your wondering (something)" but I don't know.

ostrichfarm likes this.
  14. Brian Doherty

I always thought i heard it as "Stop your wandering ways," tho she is certainly putting a lot of ululation in the "ways" if that's what it is and listening closely now i see there is no real "s" sound at end, but that's always been the best i got on that.

Edgard Varese, ostrichfarm and Taxman like this.
  15. Edgard Varese

Just look it up on Discogs, that's where I got mine from. :)

16. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

[​IMG]

Jefferson Airplane - Return To The Matrix 02/01/68

JA performed a couple shows at the Matrix as part of a lawsuit settlement with Marty’s former partners. Otherwise it would be hard to imagine a band of their stature playing such a small venue. They make a homecoming of it and treat the audience to an intimate, informal performance with some rarities, one-offs and works in progress. Grace engages the audience and shares several witticisms and reminiscences about the Matrix. The performance is sometimes toned down and quieter than usual in view of the small room, but instrumentally they are very tuned in to each other and continue to ratchet up the intensity. They open with their hard rock re-arrangement of Somebody To Love. Two Heads makes a rare and final appearance, another great song that makes a too-quick exit from their set list. Blues From An Airplane makes its only live appearance. Two from their next album which are yet to be recorded in the studio are played in their only live versions, Marty’s Share A Little Joke and an instrumental Ice Cream Phoenix, a harbinger of Hot Tuna which debuted later in the year.

Another thing I particularly enjoy about this show is Paul’s guitar being relatively high in the mix. He sometimes sounds less prominent in the wake of the Jorma, Jack, Spencer powerhouse, but he has always been one of my favorite guitarists with an impeccable sense of rhythm and beautiful tone.

This is one of my favorite JA live releases and a unique set. It was the last of the ccmusic releases. More were planned but...

GreenFuz, Hep Alien and ianuaditis like this.
  17. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG]

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE - LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST
    live May 1968, released 1998

Live at the Fillmore East is the 1998 release of a 1968 concert by Jefferson Airplane at New York's Fillmore East for the 30th anniversary of its opening. It should not be confused with the similarly named Sweeping Up the Spotlight: Live at the Fillmore East, the 1969 concert (also by Jefferson Airplane) recording released in 2007. "Thing" is an experimental freeform instrumental that later morphed into "Bear Melt" from "Bless Its Pointed Little Head".

1. "Intro / The Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil" Paul Kantner 8:35
    2. "She Has Funny Cars" Jorma Kaukonen, Marty Balin 3:56
    3. "It's No Secret" Balin 3:41
    4. "Won't You Try / Saturday Afternoon" Kantner 5:07
    5. "Greasy Heart" Grace Slick 4:05
    6. "Star Track" Kaukonen 7:36
    7. "Wild Tyme (H)" Kantner 3:21
    8. "White Rabbit" Slick 2:58
    9. "Thing" Kantner, Kaukonen, Jack Casady, Spencer Dryden 11:28
    10. "Today" Balin, Kantner 3:29
    11. "The Other Side of This Life" Fred Neil 5:13
    12. "Fat Angel" Donovan 9:04
    13. "Watch Her Ride" Kantner 3:12
    14. "Closing Comments" 0:46
    15. "Somebody to Love" Darby Slick 3:21

Blimpboy and laf848 like this.
  18. WilliamWes

[​IMG]
    LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST 1968

Recorded in May, 1968, this show is tighter with more strong performances that their February 1st show from 1968 covered on the last album Return To The Matrix. While they did drop some of the items from that show, they continued impressing with their Pillow material and their live staples

like “The Other Side Of This Life” and “Fat Angel”. Both come towards the end of set and are great like usual. The former has Jorma getting a little more aggressive than normal on guitar.

After opening with the lead track from After Bathing At Baxter’s, “The Ballad Of You And Me And Pooneil”; shortened a couple of minutes cutting some of Jorma’s break after Casady’s bass solo, the band perform fine versions of “It’s No Secret”, “She Has Funny Cars” and a relaxing “Won’t You Try/Saturday Afternoon” but up to this point, Marty is quieter than normal. He sings well on his own song but is quiet on Kantner’s. “Greasy Heart” is a great effort with Slick belting it out loud and proud by the end swinging some blues into it for perhaps the best live performance of this I’ve heard.

Grace is way better now than the first live appearances on Airplane live albums. She does great on “Wild Tyme (H)” and the closer “Somebody To Love” is much tighter and she’s great here. It beats the last version from February by a lot. “Today” is another fine performance like the February performance and Marty is starting to be heard within the harmonies again in the second half of the show. “Star Track” makes an appearance and it’s a highlight of the show, advancing past the studio version -it’s probably the definitive version with great jamming in the last 4 minutes. “Thing” is also successful keeping my interest for 10 minutes.

This is a much better show even if the setlist isn’t quite as good as the February one. The band are tight, Paul Kantner is doing intros now instead of Marty which shows the change in direction the band seemed to be going through and Jorma and Jack are great as they usually are. Dryden holds his own and keeps things tight so their creativity doesn’t spiral out of control and Kantner and Slick sound great. Marty’s quiet on some of the tri-harmony items but he’s good when it’s his turn. A fine show.

Hep Alien, Blimpboy, walrus and 2 others like this.
  19. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

when asked about this archive release spencer said "it was **** then and it's **** now". the band didn't like the performances on this at all and decided to record again in the fall resulting in pointed head. good decision.

WilliamWes likes this.
  20. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

On After Bathing at Baxter's

I consider the Airplane's run of Surrealistic Pillow through Volunteers up there with other of the greatest four album runs, such as by the Stones, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix (EL being a double album) and Led Zeppelin. That means Baxter's the second in that great run, and it is a great album. It's edge harder than SP's was of the moment and helped carry them forward, SP imo not being for all its greatness the template for where they had to go. And individually several songs on it are spectacular, the medley Won't You Try/Saturday Afternoon being for me in their top five overall.

But at the same time I think it's the one of the four I am least likely to play all the way through, and seems the most uneven of the four. Not that bad, though - I don't want to overstate this. It's a great album. I will listen to it again, probably all the way through, very soon.

Bruso, laf848 and WilliamWes like this.
  21. Trainspotting

Well, if we're to believe that this is a s*** show then the previous live releases from '66 and '67 must be even s******r because none of them are as good as this.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. davmar77

on a related note, casady recorded voodoo chile with Hendrix, winwood and mitch Mitchell the night before these fillmore shows.

23. davmar77

by 68 they were much better that the previous years. for me there's no comparison between this and pointed head which, by the way, was the only release the whole band liked.

laf848, Bruso and WilliamWes like this.
  24. Trainspotting

No, I understand that BIPLH is the live Airplane from which all other live Airplane should be judged. What I'm saying is that Live at the Fillmore East 1968 is better than any of the previous live shows addressed in this thread so far. So if THAT show is s****y, then all the other ones are even worse. And don't forget that BIPLH is a compilation of various shows at two different venues - so they could pick and choose the best performances. It's not one show like all the previous CDs discussed.

Hep Alien and WilliamWes like this.
  25. WilliamWes

I didn't realize. I thought it was alright. I mean 'Bless' is better but I'm still glad we have it. I wonder how often they'd hear themselves live now that you mention it. They usual were great but they had off nights. Still, that sense of adventure on stage can result in mixed results sometimes.

Hep Alien, Bruso and Hardy Melville like this.