Jennette McCurdy retiring from acting

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by IMMusicRulz, Mar 14, 2021.

1. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz The Fifth Bangle Thread Starter

In the wake of Paramount+ attempting to reboot iCarly, Jennette McCurdy, who played Sam on the TV show from 2007-2012 and on its spinoff Sam & Cat, has recently announced her retirement from acting.

McCurdy says that she will only do acting roles "whenever she feels like it" and said that she "never really liked being a public figure." McCurdy kept a lot profile after Sam & Cat ended in 2014, and said that it was not least due to her mother's death from breast cancer in 2012. Her other acting roles were on Will & Grace, Malcolm in the Middle and Judging Amy before landing the role. It was announced earlier this year that McCurdy would not be returning to the reboot.

I loved iCarly but hated the Sam character. Always saw her as a passive-aggressive, jealous girl. I think Jennette McCurdy's relationship got very strained after the terrible bus accident that Miranda Cosgrove got injured in in 2011. And I have seen the new trailers for the iCarly reboot, and it looks very, very promising. The only thing that has changed about the cast is that they're all older, and Nathan Kress, who plays Freddie, grew some facial hair. Good for him! I plan to watch it when it comes out.

A lot of good actresses have retired over the past few years. Cameron Diaz has retired, largely because of the bad publicity from the recent roles she starred in (and filming a sex tape on inline skates will obviously cause lots of irreversible damage to your reputation,) and Sandra Bullock has spent more time with her 2 adopted children and away from press conferences for her acting roles, claiming "All actors over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire." Perhaps she was trying to pass herself off as Grace Slick. You make the call.

How do you feel about Jennette McCurdy retiring from acting? Will you be watching the iCarly reboot when it first airs? I know I will. That show was my childhood.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

This isn’t RYM, the average age here is probably 60+. How many do you think here have even heard of iCarly?

3. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

My dad is 52 and he watched Icarly because my sister and to a lesser extent myself were the target audience during its run.

MikaelaArsenault and IMMusicRulz like this.
  4. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

I watched the first couple of seasons of iCarly because of my Brother. McCurdy and the actor who played the Older Brother were the best parts of the show!

MikaelaArsenault and Paper Shark like this.
  5. My goodness Synthfreek, what a warm and embracing reception you present.
    Do you also pull the red carpet out from under the feet of your guests as the make their way up your walk?

Thread crap exemplified with yet another of your nice responses.

If you were able to think past your own self, you may...may, be able to understand there are parents with kids who watched iCarly.
    Those parents watched iCarly, even if just enough to understand the show was okay for their kid to watch.
    Many of those kids have Grandparents and guess what?...Some of those Grandparents watched iCarly with their grandkids too.

6. I watched iCarly with my kid quite a lot. It was an okay show, and lots better than many other options.
    Sam Puckett always seemed like the anti Carly, or at least a great reason to showcase a certain theme they wanted for that episode.

I think Jennette sort of shot herself in the foot after iCarly with some of her missteps while trying to make the transition from cute girl actor to sexy woman.....Double standards kind of got in the way as it seemed the world could not get enough of Kartrashian butt and sex tapes, while at the same time being "appalled" with Jennette in a tight evening dress.

I think Jennette got a taste of the bad press, the judgement and ire of certain "fans" and decided this is not what I want.....and moved away from the BS.

I do not know but if she, or her agent, was even somewhat intelligent in the contract, she made, or is still making, nice money from iCarly and probably will do so for a long time to come. This means she does not need more acting jobs to still live a comfortable life.

As far as the reboot iCarly goes, I wish them well and hope they succeed, but my kid is no longer watching this type of show so I will not be watching either.
    I don't dislike this type of show, but I'm not drawn to it either.

7. poidog

poidog Senior Member

I'd rather see this (retirement) than another former teen actor spiraling out of control.

8. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I used to watch "ICarly" all the time with my son when he was younger, and thought it was actually pretty funny for a show of that nature. Like many adult sitcoms ('Seinfeld" for example), the star of the show , in this case Miranda Cosgrove, was in many ways the straight man to a supporting cast who were often funnier than the lead. Sam was a great character, her outwardly anti-social meanness hiding a sensitive soul who was afraid to be hurt... And McCurdy was perfect in that part , her line readings spot on

9. IMMusicRulz

Lots of people. A lot of my friends were about 12-16 when the show first aired.

10. IMMusicRulz

His name is Jerry Trainor, just so you know.

MikaelaArsenault and Exotiki like this.
  11. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Over 60 here.
    I used to watch iCarly with my son (I was late to the parenting thing, my son is now 21).
    I though it was a decent show and will probably watch the reboot.

I liked the Sam character and hope they leave an opening for her to do a guest shot rather than "kill her off" or worse, recast her.

Q: was she approached and declined or was she squeezed out during the reboot talks? Was there bad blood?

12. primitivesludge

primitivesludge Forum Resident

I read another interview with McCurdy on the topic and she said part of the reason she is retiring is that she hated all the roles she played in kids' stuff and has found it hard to get the kind of work she'd like to do in her late 20s. She has no interest in doing iCarly or its ilk again.

13. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I love `iCarly' (as I do all of Dan Schneider's shows) - I cannot not watch it. Never
    get tired of it. That said, the reboot idea (without Dan and McCurdy) should have
    been aborted immediately. Unfortunate, though, because Jennette is a talented lady.
    I could always see her playing the Vivian Vance role in a re-make of `The Lucy Show'.

MikaelaArsenault and head_unit like this.
  14. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I was 12-17 during the show's run.

I think I've seen most of the episodes, at least the first few seasons.

15. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

She was 20 years old at the end of the series, I can see why she would be tired of doing kids stuff. That being said, iCarly along with Spongebob, Drake and Josh and Ned's Declassified were kid shows that adults also liked. My dad would watch these shows with me and my sister.

16. jjhunsecker

Plus- dear God- I hope there was nothing creepy involving Schneider that was part of the reason she wants to get away from acting

17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

50 and I watched it with my kids.

More Creamed FISH!

18. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

:laugh: As for "Will you be watching the iCarly reboot when it first airs?" well I dunno, when is that?

Yeah me too. And let's compare to say, Jerry Springer. Kardashians. The View. Endless judge shows (which I watch sometimes, but they are no better than iCarly). Steve "me cae gordo" whatshisface on Family Feud...c'mon they should let them REALLY feud with like baseball bats and swords. Fox etc endlessly ranting against Obama, and (who???) ranting against Fox. "America's Mindless Game" (I think Vanna should host Jeopardy!) Gee iCarly sounds pretty good after all! :p

19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm happy for her.

Michael likes this.
  20. Django

Django Forum Resident

I remember really liking the icarly intro music.
    There's some nice chord changes in it.

BwanaBob and IMMusicRulz like this.
  21. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

They had their own web show as kids with no parental supervision...very DIY and Punk Rock.

22. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I would come across iCarly while channel surfing and thought it was fast paced and clever. I didn't linger long watching it. My daughter knows the Sam character from Sam and Cat so I watched a lot of it with her. That one season was well written with strong characters. Knowing it came on the heels of her mother's death and having spent years in the public eye as a young girl I'm not surprised at her desire to retire. There are a lot of other things to do in life than be type cast as the tough girl. Good for her.

Veronica Mars likes this.
  23. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Well we have all heard the rumours. Has she spoken out about this? Something is afoot with Schneider.

buzzzx likes this.
  24. jjhunsecker

To the best of my knowledge, she hasn't said anything about Schneider...
    But if she did, it wouldn't surprise me

25. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

This was eye opening. I'm happy for her that she is free from her mother.

[​IMG]