Jennette McCurdy retiring from acting

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by IMMusicRulz, Mar 14, 2021.

1. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I loved iCarly back in the day, more for Carly, Freddie and Spencer though, not so much for the annoying Sam. But I still think it was one of the better shows Nickelodeon came up with, along with SpongeBob, Victorious, and Zoey 101.

2. 905

905 Senior Member

I watched it with my kids, and thought it was entertaining. I remember liking Sam's sense of humor.

jjhunsecker and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

My kids watched, so I did too. Good actresses, I thought. But it’s hard to watch young kids act any more considering what I keep hearing about things behind the scenes.

JediJones and carrick doone like this.
  4. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Her interview on The Daily Show was very good, promoting her book. I had never heard or seen her before, and I usually skip the interview portion, unless I'm interested. Glad I didn't.

JediJones and kouzie like this.
  5. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

So, not retired. Got it.

6. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

My daughter watched these shows, so I ended up watching quite a few episodes with her. I hated the Sam character. Hated her. But, that meant that Jennette was doing a fantastic job of acting.

I'm glad she's free from her mother and getting her life back together. I have absolutely nothing nice to say about abusive parents, so I'll just shut up.

JediJones likes this.
  7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

As the child of an abusive, narcissistic mother, this book deeply resonated with me.

I just blazed through the audio version, which she expertly reads. It’s a fascinating glimpse into the Nickelodeon child actor factory, but mostly it’s a deep dive into manipulative and toxic mothers, and the legacy of guilt and pain they pass on to their children. Sometimes this book felt like the therapy I’ve never gone out to get, and I hope it inspires other emotionally abused children to seek help or at least continue the long healing process.

If you find the title of the book offensive or shocking, then count your blessings that you don’t relate.

BTW, I had never heard of her either. I’m too old for these shows, and my older kids didn’t watch them. She’s terrific, and I hope she finds continued success outside of acting.

dan c

8. I find it interesting when those "who don't care" are compelled to make sure everyone in the room fully understands just how much they don't care.
    If you really don't care why would you invest any time or effort into the subject?
    I find it interesting how those who don't care often let others know how much they don't care while using harsh words and mean statements.
    If you must express your lack of care, it would not hurt to do so in a positive manner would it?

ZackyDog and 905 like this.
  9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

They never seem to do it in person either. It's always online under the veil of a screenname.

Sure, you get folks that will say "never heard of it" but never quite as dismissive as it comes off on the internet.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

so am I...: )

JediJones likes this.
  11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

She did try a music career doing pop-country music, but the singles tanked.

JediJones likes this.
  12. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I have a saint of a mother. My father was the toxic abusive one who beat up me and my mother repeatedly before finally admitting after twenty three years of marriage he had been cheating on her the entire time with other men. So to say I can't relate would be an understatement. Still I wish her the best and hope all goes well for her in the future.

JediJones likes this.
  13. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I'm reading the book now. Very well written. Never heard of her before this book. BTW I'm watching some of her songs on Youtube and she has a good voice.

MichaelH, JediJones and Dan C like this.