Jenny Lewis Announces New Album “Joy’all” on Blue Note produced by Dave Cobb (06/09/2023)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Mar 29, 2023.

1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

2. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

I like it. Didn’t love Puppy and a Truck though. She’s had so many great songs and records over her career. I was just listening to Jenny & Johnny yesterday. I hope that get a vinyl reissue

pghmusiclover likes this.
  3. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

good song. sounds like fleetwood mac "dreams" a bit to me...

they have a signed CD available. but no signed vinyl :(

ARK likes this.
  4. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

I’m looking forward to this a lot. I enjoyed the songs from On The Line, and the live performances (I was lucky to catch her in a fairly intimate venue when she played over here). I did not like the Ryan Adams-mad-reverb-production, however. The production on Psycho and Puppy is far more to my liking. Excited for this.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  5. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Looking forward to it.
    I think her last one ranks with her best, Rilo or otherwise.
    Little White Dove has been stuck in my head for 4 years.

6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I saw her live when she was promoting the last album and it’s a top 10 gig for me and I must have been to a couple hundred at least. I really hope she tours the new album, and continues with the Rilo Kiley vinyl reissue program!

7. MonkeyTennis

I do love that song - so, so catchy.

My favourite of her post Rilo stuff, however, is You Are What You Love. That is such a perfect, perfect song. In fact, I’m going to listen to it right now. Oh how I love Jenny Lewis :)

ARK, DTK, pinkrudy and 2 others like this.
  8. MonkeyTennis

I saw her in Manchester on that same tour. Just glorious. I was also fortunate enough to see her with Rilo Kiley supporting Bright Eyes on the I’m Wide Awake tour (the Academy 2 in Manchester, as I recall). Resplendent and mesmerising.

Seabass, dee, Porkpie and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

She has a US tour in the works that was announced a month or so ago and I have a ticket for the Cleveland date. Hopefully she make her way to the UK.

ARK, Porkpie and MonkeyTennis like this.
  10. pghmusiclover

Blue Note has a splatter color variant. I am not sure if there are others out there…

Jenny Lewis - Joy'All – Blue Note Records

I saw Jenny touring for “Now Voyager” and it was one of the best shows I’ve seen and heard —the sound was impeccable!

11. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I've seen here 3 times before and it's always a great show. I would encourage anyone, that if she's playing near you and you can make it, definitely go!

Porkpie likes this.
  12. MonkeyTennis

The option for a signed LP is now live (and very reasonably priced). Intriguingly, there is also an option for the splatter vinyl plus a test pressing.

pinkrudy likes this.
  13. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

sold out
    that was fast

maybe i looked wrong and didnt see the signed vinyl before when i first checked.

14. MonkeyTennis

Try again, but this time use the drop down. It is allowing me to add to the cart and progress to check out. I’ve not checked out, as I’m not sure which option I might go with… But it looks to be available as far as I can see.

15. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

16. pghmusiclover

I’m a little disappointed that the album is only 32 minutes (according to Apple Music)… I know it’s quality over quantity, but after 4 years, you’d think there would be more than 10 tracks!

Michael likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

sometimes less is more...at least we got new music!: )

MonkeyTennis and pghmusiclover like this.
  18. pghmusiclover

I guess this was the first single she released a few weeks back:

Incidentally, here's the album artwork and track list which I couldn't upload when I started the thread on my phone!

[​IMG]

1. Psychos
    2. Joy’All
    3. Puppy and a Truck
    4. Apples and Oranges
    5. Essence of Life
    6. Giddy Up
    7. Cherry Baby
    8. Love Feel
    9. Balcony
    10. Chain of Tears

ARK, DTK, dee and 2 others like this.
  19. Paul99

Paul99 Forum Resident

Is there anywhere else that the signed splatter vinyl is available?

20. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Love "Puppy And A Truck"! It has more twang than I usually like but it works for me because of her singer/songwriter charm. Jenny's last two albums have been on heavy rotation for several years. Definitely looking forward to a new album.

ARK likes this.
  21. dee

dee Senior Member

I LOVED the video LOL.
    I hope the song is a grower!

22. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I believe I've seen her live more often than any other, maybe a tie with Guided by Voices and Wilco, 7 or 8 times (once on Rilo Kiley's last tour). She's a great performer and a great bandleader---consistently great.

I've heard many of her tunes live before they were on record. "Dogwood" was an encore well before that album came out and it was one of the peaks of any live show I've ever seen--unexpectedly doing a new song and a solemn one for an encore to a devoted, attentive crowd and it was absolutely spine-tingling. The record could never do it justice but I relive that moment whenever I hear it.

23. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

Was that at the RNCM on Oxford Road? This is where I saw her and found it a little too large. I think I'd likely go see her again if it was a smaller venue, but I found it a bit of soulless, impersonal venue place. From where I was sat, I couldn't quite make enough out to make it enjoyable.

Far more importantly, good to see she has a new album coming out. Going back to Rilo Kilo through to today, she has a very impressive and consistent quality to her music, ranging from good to excellent. The Voyager is the pick of her solo albums for my taste, but the quality of her output is so high she's a rare artist I'll buy without even worrying about listening first.

24. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

It’s on a 700 seater. I thought she’d do bigger places. Maybe there’s hope for my village hall yet!

ARK likes this.
  25. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

That doesn't sound like Blue Note! Sorry, but I had to. Doesn't sound like anything I'm interested in either (I made it almost 2 minutes in on that clip, morbid curiosity). But y'all enjoy and I hope it sells enough to pay for some Edmond Hall reissues on BN.