JEOPARDY! 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Jan 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

Let's retire the Alex Trebek RIP thread and continue the JEOPARDY! discussion here.

2. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

So here is a question to kick things off - do you think there is such a thing as Eidetic Memory or some other form of total recall that gives some of these contestants a supernormal ability to retrieve information? These power players keep popping up and, while I don't discount luck and the strategic abilities of some of them, others, like Amy and the last guy, seem to have some kind of genetic advantage. Should Jeopardy have some kind of self-imposed cap when something like this occurs? Like I said, for me, Amy's reign has made the game so dull, we just stopped watching.

SixtiesGuy and MerseyBeatle like this.
  3. HGN2001

I'd guess that from the producers' standpoint, a someone wins every day, so if it turns out to be one person repeatedly, it doesn't really matter to them.

I'm detecting that this Amy person is playing it carefully, never doing the all in thing on Daily Doubles, and carefully betting in Final.

Amy will be hard to beat given the wide range of knowledge.

Keith V and Atmospheric like this.
  4. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Jennings for the win.

Jamey K likes this.
  5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

If Amy is way, way ahead by the end of the first round, I turn it off. That's how bored I am.

6. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Am I the only one who watches the show for the trivia and could hardly care about the contestants themselves? Give me boring champions all day every day over champs with "personalities" like Buzzy and Austin. Yeesh!

a customer, powerq, kinkling and 7 others like this.
  7. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

This is boring, but previous dominating champions never bored me. I actively rooted for James.

I’m assuming Amy is just lacking personality.

Also, any personality quirks of those prior never bothered me, like saying What instead of Who, but Amy’s hesitating and answering (correctly) the clue like she’s trying to convince you that she’s guessing is annoying me to no end.

If it was the mid 50s, I’d think the fix was in.

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm watching to answer questions myself and show off to my family, so I don't get too annoyed by repeat champions, but it is weird how there have been so many long term champs as of late. Used to have multiple new champs every week.

OldSoul and beccabear67 like this.
  9. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I like the idea of setting a ten-win limit then contestants go on standby for the Tournament Of Champions.

10. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I guess everyone has heard by now that Amy Schneider go robbed at gunpoint over the new year eh?

beccabear67 likes this.
  11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I don't care for the increase in what I feel are junk movies and pop celebrities on the board. Trying to appeal to a younger/wider audience? I may not have gotten any of the Aquatic Biology or Opera category items but at least i felt I learned something. Maybe Amy has seen every Mad Max sequel and avidly follows K-Pop boy bands or whatever, but it does kind of undercut the gravitas to winning on Jeopardy to me. I don't mind if she wins another thirty though, good for her!

Heard about the robbery... just now. :yikes:

unclefred, Shambolicus and Keith V like this.
  12. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I get distracted when the games are close and when I pay attention again, Schneider is way ahead and I get mad at another runaway.

mrjinks likes this.
  13. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

14. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I'm good with long winning streaks as long as they aren't by Buzzy or Colby.

I've seen some of the absolute hate that Amy gets online (not on here) by people who are afraid of anything different than them and I'm good with her extending her streak out as far as it can go just to stick it to those people.

Adam9, Billy Infinity, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

To be sure, I don't begrudge Amy her streak. She's just not that interesting to watch. I should add that I got sick of James H mostly because his personality grated on me. He's a little better on The Chase but rotating the champs may have something to do with it. I have noticed the other three champs seem harder on him with their snark.

mrjinks likes this.
  16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

How many pairs of spectacles does Mayim Bialik own?

2trackmind likes this.
  17. HGN2001

Celebrities who wear glasses use them as fashion accessories and have many different pairs.

Keith V likes this.
  18. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Cannot believe NO ONE got the Final Jeopardy the other day ("Who is Vinnie Van Gogh?"). I sure did!

A few days earlier (12.31.21) NO ONE also guessed John Lennon & Paul McCartney ("Of their July 1957 first meeting at a church fair, one of this pair recalled: “I was a fat schoolboy and… he was drunk” - everyone guessed Simon & Garfunkel). #millennials

19. WarEagleRK

I was that way tonight with Fredrick Douglass.

kinkling likes this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I was mad nobody remembered "Sanford and Son". These young people, sheesh

21. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I was that way with the Final Jeopardy the other day when the answer was 'Annie'

...I don't even follow Broadway, but even I knew that one.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  22. Grand_Ennui

Mr. What's did the same thing a lot as well... He'd get that glazed over look and lean forward on the podium as if he was trying to reach within the forgotten areas of his memory to recall the correct answer (well, correct question)...

23. Grand_Ennui

I haven't searched out what's been said about her online, but I can only imagine... That said, I'm with you on this: I hope she beats all records, just to stick it to 'em.

24. WarEagleRK

I think the biggest change with Jeopardy over the years, and really with any TV show is people are now comfortable on camera. They aren't timid or overwhelmed by being on TV because most grew up with some sort of video recording device on them and they show much more personality now. Whether that is a positive or negative depends on the individual. If you watch old Jeopardy episodes almost all of the contestants are very robotic.

Shawn, MekkaGodzilla and OldSoul like this.
  25. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

‘Just the other day no one including Amy (who looks old enough to know) knew Bruce Springsteen. Amy did know more current pop stars. They also missed one other legendary performer. Oh yeah Paul McCartney & Wings, the question was about the song “Jet”.

Adam9 and Veggie Boy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.