JEOPARDY! 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Jan 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

My guess is they read a lot and are very studious.

WarEagleRK likes this.
  2. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I wouldn't say they didn't know Bruce Springsteen, as the question was "A new studio album in 2020 gave him a Top 5 album in 6 consecutive decades, his first in 1975." So I can see where some might think McCartney or someone like that.

The Jet one should have been easy.

lbangs likes this.
  3. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

The success is undoubtedly driven by both nature and nurture - sharp recall shaped by a life of extensive education/exposure to knowledge.

For a long-running returning champion, there's also the inevitable advantage that comes from simply playing so many times in a row and being comfortable. Whereas new contestants are essentially starting from scratch, playing against an opponent that they know is extremely successful. While it isn't a difficult format to figure out, Jeopardy is barely 15 minutes of actual play - hardly enough time for a newcomer to feel totally 'comfortable' in the setting.

I'd argue a cap would make the show more fair in that regard, but clearly there is a major ratings benefit from a long-running champion.

lbangs likes this.
  4. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I suspect there is something to getting the hang of timing those particular buzzers with the end of an answer. Having practice at mashing the handheld at the right instant has to be a considerable advantage over new players.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

CatchAsCan and nojmplease like this.
  5. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

And remember, they tape FIVE shows in one day. So a 30 day champion like Amy has only been in the studio "playing" for 6 days (one full week, a weekend off and then one more day's taping).

I imagine when you play that l-o-n-g, you are more concerned about your clothing changes.

Beer Milk Shake and nojmplease like this.
  6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

While I do hope she continues to win, to stick it to her naysayers online, as I said in the old thread, I really hope she wins, just to beat "Mr. What's" appearance number & amount of money won... She's still hanging in there, so there's hope...

I just hope from this point forward, it's a return to form, because Monday's game was a bit off at times, especially during that one double Jeopardy...

7. Grand_Ennui

There's something to that: They just had an article/interview with the player from WI that was on there last week, and she commented that while she may have known the answer, she didn't get to reply to it because she wasn't as fast on the buzzer.

CatchAsCan and lbangs like this.
  8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I’m actually watching because of all the winning streaks. The endless search for a new host became a turnoff to me as well as the online backlash the candidates would get. Even Ken Jennings was getting grief over a joke he made in the past. It’s a game show hosting gig not a political office. I stopped watching because of it. Then the streaks started to happen and pulled me back in.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

college tournament in prime time.......

10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yes, College Nationals in February (8th?) with Mayim.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

At this the only way Amy loses is she tanks a game like James Holzhauer did. When the show begins you immediately know these 2 aren’t the ones. :)

12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

I thought there was a chance the other two contestants were going to do something yesterday. There was an early time when Amy didn't know the answers to one category and the other two had passed her. Then she got a daily double wrong and jumped back to zero and I thought there was an opening. But Amy got the next two correct and was right back in the lead. It was all over after that.

13. The CD List Guy

The CD List Guy Matthew The K's Covers & Others Podcast

Well, you just pulled me back in with this post. I just finished yesterday's episode at YouTube. Ken Jennings probably played pretend-Jeopardy-host when he was a kid. I personally think he sets a similar tone as Alex at least. Subjective, I know.

14. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

It would be interesting to see how squirrelly Ken gets when & if Amy gets close to his record.

15. WarEagleRK

He doesn't seem to be the type who would care if someone beat it.

16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

If Amy passes Ken, are hosting duties far behind?

17. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Oh Gawd noooo.

2trackmind, kronning and mrjinks like this.
  18. Pizza

Lol! She might be a bit dry as host but I think she’d be a good fit for The Chase as a chaser.

19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

She’s soooooo boring. I really want someone to beat her, so I can get back to enjoying this show…

20. WarEagleRK

I'm just playing along at home. I guess I don't get into the contestants as a reason to enjoy the show beyond seeing how long any streak can go.

Strummergas likes this.
  21. Pizza

22. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I wonder if they have had to increase the wardrobe budget for the show: two hosts - 1 male, 1 female.

23. WarEagleRK

Well they haven't had to use the Clue Crew or have them travel in over 2 years now so it more than evened out.

24. Grand_Ennui

Day late, and at this point it really doesn't matter, but I meant to say "Daily Double".

25. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

I've stopped watching recently. Not really a fan of Amy. She's had her day now please lose so someone else can be there. Nothing against her but the streak's gone on for too long.

2trackmind and utopiarun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.