Jeopardy! 2023

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Jan 3, 2023.

1. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I thought it was pretty funny last night when one of the contestants called herself “an old soul” because she likes records, CDs and DVDs.

905, MichaelH, Grand_Ennui and 3 others like this.
  2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Me, too since I've always thought of myself that way because I wanted to live in the early 1900s.

DISKOJOE likes this.
  3. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Curious to see what the ratings are for this High School Reunion Competition.

Since Jeopardy is thought to be for, well, older folks.

A couple categories last night just stood out.

DISKOJOE likes this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

5. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

The current champion, Stephen Webb, sometimes phrases his responses like "Is it...?" instead of the ubiquitous "What/Who is...?". I don't think I've ever heard anyone else do that. It's kind of refreshing.

Billy Infinity and DISKOJOE like this.
  6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Champ got a good scare yesterday. I think Ken jinxed him in the beginning by crowing about it being possibly his 5th win thus qualifying him for ToC. The middle guy made good use of the DD but once again, FJ proved to be the fly in the ointment. And the third contestant pretty much stood there and watched.

7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I think it makes him sound very unsure of his response(s).

MichaelH and dougotte like this.
  8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Middle contestant went big on a DD yesterday, all in with 12,000 dollars and lost that bet, back to 0. He said he lives in Vegas so he really is a gambler.

MichaelH and beccabear67 like this.
  9. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

It was a bold move. I felt for him after that.

MichaelH and dougotte like this.
  10. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

It made sense though. He’d already responded correctly to three clues in the category, so he probably thought this one would be no different.

MichaelH and beccabear67 like this.
  11. DISKOJOE

The current champ is doing quite well despite the fact that he hasn’t hit a DD in the past 4 games.

MichaelH, beccabear67 and Peter_R like this.
  12. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

There is also something refreshingly authentic about him because of how nervous he gets.
    He comes across as someone who happens to know a lot of stuff, buy is very uncomfortable being the centre of attention.

I've always been a big fan of Drew Carey since I first saw him do stand up in the early 1990s. While I enjoy watching him host The Price Is Right, I find the majority of the contestants overwhelmingly annoying.
    The reactions to winning any prize, regardless of how small is so damn over the top. This is the case with most game shows how Jeopardy being the exception.
    I am now of the opinion that the majority of people deliberately overreact in the hopes of becoming a meme.

All this to say current Jeopardy champ, who is more subdued than the average Jeopardy winner, which is already quite subdued compared to other shows is a very welcome change.

13. DISKOJOE

This is true. Speaking of The Price is Right, I’m most annoyed when someone bids $1 over someone else’s bid.

14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

It's strategy.
    What annoys you about it?

MichaelH likes this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Frankly, I'd like to see somebody bid a dollar *under* someone else's bid.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  16. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Price contestants are chosen beforehand outside in the lineup. The most enthusiastic get picked so the over-the-top reactions are by design.

MichaelH and Peter_R like this.
  17. DISKOJOE

It just seems like piggybacking to me. Frankly, it shows to me that there’s no thought behind the bidding. It seems like desperation to me. I love it when someone bids $500, another person bids $501 and the $500 bid wins.

18. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Enjoying the show this week, but then I would say that as I knew all the stand-up comic clues. Wheel Of Fortune aired right before it though and had three Matrix movies puzzles... dagnabit, I've only ever seen one of those... you kids and yer sci-fi movie series... ;)

I have wondered if other shows coach their contestants to over-react. I don't think Wheel Of Fortune does it, but they have had a few who over-act, all on their own I think. Definitely something that puts me off other game shows (and those house decorating shows where someone screeches 'Oh My God' a dozen or so times per half hour).

DISKOJOE likes this.
  19. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

You all wanna see overacting? Just watch some of those GSN shows, particularly People Puzzler. I'm also convinced they choose really clueless contestants on purpose to ratchet up the "comedy".

20. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Frankly I wish this new guy would show more enthusiasm. He seems quite dull to me.

21. Wildest cat from montana

Ever see that idiot on ' The Price Is Right' who made a wild bid of $200,000 on a Showcase. It was so ridiculous that Bob Barker insisted he make a lower more reasonable bid. The contestant made a lower one but it was still way too high.
    Thd other contestant bid a dollar on her Showcase and won of course.
    It was the right bid.

MichaelH likes this.
  22. DISKOJOE

I don’t remember that one. I don’t mind people bidding $1, just those who bid $1 over someone else’s bid.

By the way, are you still in JA?

23. Wildest cat from montana

Yeah, down here hiding from Canadian winter.

DISKOJOE likes this.
  24. TMRY

TMRY Forum Resident

Great game today. The best ones are when it's not a runaway and it comes down to final Jeopardy.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    Frank Discussion likes this.
  25. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Jeopardy is owned and produced by Sony.