Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Jeopardy - Post Alex Trebek Era

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪ Thread Starter

Hard to put up a thread about Jeopardy after Alex Trebek's passing, but if it diverts some off topic discussion from Alex's thread, it is worth doing.

The first guest-hosted episode aired tonight with Ken Jennings.

Ken put it well that no one can replace Alex, but he can be honoured by playing the game he loved.

For a first show, Ken hosted admirably.
    It will be fun to observe differences in the way the game is hosted.
    One I noticed was a slight delay for effect in confirming one of the correct answers, something I hadn't seen before.

What are your thoughts on the show?

altaeria and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. It will never be the same show it was with Trebek.
    Just like when Drew Carey took over ' The Price Is Right '. Same title , different show , different feel.

3. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I can’t watch The Price is Right with Drew Carey. TPIR has a high-energy atmosphere that benefitted from Bob Barker’s strong hand. Drew Carey is too laid back and the show is kind of a zoo now. He also lacks Barker’s panache. It’s fun to watch Barker’s episodes from the 1980s on Pluto when he was in his prime, and before he got crotchety.

Jennings did fine. But he’s not a professional broadcaster, and Jeopardy is a big job for someone who has so little experience. I’ll be curious to see who else gets to guest host.

agaraffa, jupiter8, forthlin and 4 others like this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Katie Couric will be one of the guest hosts.

Kyle B and Veltri like this.
  5. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I’d like to see Meredith Vieira guest host the show, but she already has a game show from a different distributor, so her contract probably forbids it. And my guess is that the producers will go younger anyway.

905 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

She has 25 Words Or Less.

7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Ya that idiot ruined TPIR!!

I havent watched it since......

8. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Jennings’ voice doesn’t come across strongly enough. It’s kind of whiny.

Bern likes this.
  9. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I enjoyed Jennings as the host. He didn't draw unnecessary attention to himself, and the general flow of the game felt the same as usual. I worry that celebrity hosts will chew up the scenery.

10. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I hope Ken continues doing it,he wont ruin it!!

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I thought Ken did a fine job tonight.

12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The first couple of clues that Ken read seemed too fast, like his adrenaline was kicking in. He adjusted nicely though as he settled into the proper rhythm.

Still, I agree that his voice is too lightweight. The show needs more of a professional broadcaster's touch.

Rycherocker634 and Bern like this.
  13. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Not a complaint, just my impression, but Jennings reacted to DD wagers more like a fan than a host (at least more than AT).

14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Since somebody decided to start this thread, I will re-post what I said last night on the other thread ...

I'm watching the first Ken Jennings hosted episode right now and as a longtime radio personality myself, I can't imagine how hard it would be to "guest" host this show, especially with the entire loss of Alex still so fresh. Ken is doing a lovely job and I'm honestly shocked at how well he is running the show with no issues. Ken doesn't have the same warm voice or nearly as welcoming personality as Alex, but who would, right? I was honestly a little worried after witnessing Vanna White filling in for Pat Sajak recently on "Wheel Of Fortune" (another SONY PICTURES TV PRODUCTION), as she did a horrible job, which surprised me as she has been with the show for so many years. Clearly, she never actually watched or listened to Pat hosting the show for all those years, she just stands across the studio looking cute and ready to push a letter, when prompted. Good luck to Ken, I wish him well.

Zeroninety likes this.
  15. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I read something about Alex's last shows, I think it might have been from the winner of his last episode, Jim Gilligan, about the fact that Alex wasn't happy with the way he read one of the clues, and he opted to do it over again and have it edited into the aired show.

This brings up a question I have about these shows and the editing process. We know that there's an exact amount of time that both JEOPARDY! and WHEEL have for their games, so some sort of editing HAS to happen when things run long. And if Alex's questions can be seamlessly edited into a show, then so could Ken's, assuming he might have fouled up. I'm not suggesting he did, but there's the possibility.

Regarding WHEEL OF FORTUNE, why is it that when Pat spins for the final puzzle, he never lands on a "Bankrupt" or a "Free Play" or "Lose A Turn"? I'm guessing that it happens, and they have to do it over again and edit the show.

16. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Years ago they were left in. Now they are edited out for time restraints.

Bern

jupiter8 likes this.
  17. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I don't think Ken has the voice for Jeopardy. He can't change or fix that.

Bern

jupiter8 and 2trackmind like this.
  18. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

I also find that he talks too fast.

Rycherocker634 and Atmospheric like this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I always assumed the show was tightly edited. Like, sometimes you hear the contestant spinning the wheel in the background before Vanna has even completed turning the letters. If it were me I'd let her finish, take a look at the board, try to decipher the puzzle. Thus I assume they overlap such things to save time.

While Ken doesnt have a tradition game show host voice, I dont find it unpleasant. Perhaps it's a sense of familiarity.

20. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

When no one answers a clue they shave a couple seconds off. I saw some old shows and they didn't do that as much. I think now they want to try and get all the clues in so that may allow a tiny but more time to get through them knowing they can shave time in those situations.
    Watching Jeopardy this season I could tell some of Alex's clues were overdubbed. You can tell his voice was horse/weak here and there so they were redone as needed.

21. Perhaps a better choice would be 0ne of the higher profile celebrities that did well on Celebeity Jep.

22. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

One Celebrity Jeopardy Tournament final had Cheech Marin, Jane Curtin and Michael McKean. They are ALL over the age of 70. You'd at minimum want someone who could host for at least 10 years as well as bring in a somewhat younger demographic.

If he wasn't so short, I'd vote for Adam Scott ("Parks and Recreation") to host. He's had experience hosting a game show ("Don't") and comes across as somewhat smarter than your average celebrity. He's only 47.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  23. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Here's an oldie but goodie..maybe Cliff could host.

mattdm11 likes this.
  24. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I think he was ok, tough shoes to fill. As another commenter mentioned, I wince at the thought of Couric and Viera taking their shots- they have built their "brand" over many years and undoubtedly try to inject their "personality" into the proceedings. Via YouTube I recently watched a pre-Trebek (Art Fleming hosting, Don Pardo announcing) version of the show when it was on NBC daytime and it was odd-people could buzz in before the question was completely asked (with an annoying doorbell sound) and it was really distracting.

25. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

There was a push by some back in November to have Levar Burton assume the role as host, with a petition that had over 90,000 signatures. I think Burton would do a pretty good job, as he's comfortable in front of a camera and has the right amount of nerdiness that would fit in with a trivia program.