Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Jeopardy - Post Alex Trebek Era

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

No panache or charisma, unlike most of the other guest hosts. I’ve stopped watching until the next host comes in.

Nightfly68 likes this.
  2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Aaron is awful. No energy. Dr. Oz was just gruff and had no charisma. 2 losers in a row. I didn't think Katie was great but she was way better than these 2.

3. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Rodgers has all the charisma of a moist dish rag. I don't think he needs to worry about scheduling his hosting duties during the NFL season or (hopefully, please God) anytime.

A con man like Oz is anathematic to everything Jeopardy stands for. Couric was OK. That producer guy... OK.

So far Jennings has been the best. I like that he showed steady improvement and was quite serviceable at the end.

905, Kyle B and mr. steak like this.
  4. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Jennings is the obvious choice.

5. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I think that’s who the producers are going to go with, because none of the rest of these folks are serious contenders, with the exception of Mike Richards. But I’d rather see Richards than Jennings, because they should aim higher than serviceable.

GMfan87' and Bern like this.
  6. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I'm hoping Mayim Bialik does well. Jennings improved as he went on, but I'd rather see someone else. But that someone else hasn't guess hosted yet.

Bern

MikeInFla and Atmospheric like this.
  7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I think most of the guest hosts are just that - guest hosts. They're not really "trying out" or auditioning. Jennings or Richards are the obvious choices being in-house people, but I still think that someone else will ultimately get the permanent job, much farther down the line.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. Atmospheric

I've listened to her on podcasts. She's wicked smart and funny. Also, I think her brain works fast enough that she could do really well. Pacing is a big part of it. The other guest hosts just didn't have brains that worked fast enough (especially Rodgers and Couric). If you have to think too much about what to say, you've lost the moment.

BeatleJWOL, Grand_Ennui and Bern like this.
  9. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

The 9 time Pro Bowl QB with a Super Bowl ring and 9 NFL passing records doesn't have a brain that works fast enough? :rolleyes:

Not Trending likes this.
  10. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Son

My wife and I watch nightly, and we shout out the answers. In our family room, it is mostly a Cheers scene.

We definitely have opinions concerning the guest hosts, but none of them have taken away our enjoyment of the show.

11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

When I hear Aaron Rodgers reading the clues, all I can think is that (in my opinion) he is speaking with the some tonality that he uses when he's giving his post game interviews... I don't expect him to turn into a seasoned host overnight, but he could be a bit livelier or something.

12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

The nightly news aired the Aaron Rodgers interview that he did with the early morning hostess, and he said he'd like to do more hosting of Jeopardy.

13. Atmospheric

I’d like to win the lotto. Doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

ah ah ah ah ah... now that's funny. ; )

Nightfly68 likes this.
  15. Michael

she sucked worse than the other 2...she's a monster.

Nightfly68 likes this.
  16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

why was she worse?

17. Michael

not a fan of her...and I thought she sucked as a host...simple dimple...

Nightfly68 likes this.
  18. Crawdad

Crawdad Detroit Rock Citizen

The refs do all his thinking for him

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

Different kind of cognitive processing.

I'm sure Rodgers is a bright guy, but hosting a TV show is new to him so I'm sure it's a total learning experience...

20. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I'm aware of that. The guy who said Rodgers "doesn't have a brain that works fast enough" is the guy you should be directing this to.

21. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

I guess I'm the exception. I really haven't had any issues with any of the Guest Hosts, and I thought I'd be irritated income way with Katie Couric. Oz was fine, I found his frustration with a series of wrong answers humorous, I had no preconceived feelings about him. Like Alex said, the show & the contestants are the stars, the draw.

And re:Rodgers, he's pretty much what I expected, mainly from the State Farm commercials, pretty dry, and this is pretty far from his day job.

I wonder if the Turd Ferguson reference was an ad lib.

22. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Trek fans are lobbying for LeVar Burton to host. I think he might be a good fit.

23. Ok, ok critics. How well would YOU do hosting a tv show if that wasn't your line of work???? That said, Ken is the GOAT and a natural choice but he may not want it as he has other irons in the fire. Katie was second best far ahead of AR and Dr Oz-the worst.

24. Oatsdad

No, I thought it meant to be addressed to you because your post implied "fast brain in football game" meant "fast brain as game show host"...

25. Oatsdad

Probably not well, but "Jeopardy!" hasn't put me on the show to host, so that's irrelevant.

Even if these guests are amateurs in the world of game show hosting, that doesn't mean we shouldn't still expect them to do the job well! :shrug: